welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No shirt, No shoes, Got kids: NO SERVICE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
You might say there's a stigma against those who enforce social stigma.

True, that. Why is it considered rude behavior, to call someone behaving rudely on their own rude behavior?

"Excuse me, but there is a line; please wait your turn like the rest of us." Why is this an inappropriate response to someone butting in line?

"Excuse me, but your child's temper tantrum / rambunctious behavior / yelling and screaming / etc., is annoying to the rest of us; please control him or take him somewhere that his undisciplined behavior will not disturb others." Why is this a bad thing to say to parents who are not ensuring that their children behave in public?

This kind of reminds me of when I was at a working as a lifeguard at a water park and had to tell the scariest Russian woman ever that her 6 year old girl really needed to put a top on because it was making the other park-goers uncomfortable.

She didn't get it. "But she is just a baby!"... "YES EXACTLY... look I know this is clearly just a difference in cultures, please just do it."

All the other fucking lifeguards hid so I had to do it. Then some dad came up to me later and thanked me. I mostly just hated everything by then. Being a lifeguard kind of sucked.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really?

6 years olds wear tops in swimming pools?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
really?

The US is crazy.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creepy
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Michael wrote:
really?

The US is crazy.

the US is prudish. We can't even have nudity on TV.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Michael wrote:
really?

The US is crazy.

Oh, sure we can! Just be careful not to fall off.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Michael wrote:
really?

The US is crazy.

Yeah....

the US is crazy. It is not prudish because there is an awful lot of shit that is obviously not prudish. Requiring a 6 year old to wear a top does not make you prudish if at the same time you see no problem with having "sexy" written in glitter letters on the bottom.

We're talking about a country that bans online poker while at the same time having Las Vegas. "gambling=bad" and "having an entire city dedicated to gambling is fucking awesome" can not both be positions held by someone unless they are crazy.

Thus: the US is crazy.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on, if we were crazy, how do you explain our perfectly functioning representative democracy?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China

that is all
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take my 1 1/2 year old daughter out to eat with us quite often, but they are usually family restaurants. She has been to some nicer restaurants, but she's always as well behaved as a 1 1/2 year old can be. She shrieks happily and babbles loudly but she's nearly always happy. I can understand the really upscale places not wanting children there. They aren't being billed as a family restaurant and probably don't have a children's menu. My daughter would be furious with me if I went somewhere that didn't have food she liked.

I suppose it's because I've been in education for many years, but I can ignore tantrums so easily. I take a slight bit of satisfaction in that they are not getting their way because I'm evil like that. Point -> Adults.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
We take my 1 1/2 year old daughter out to eat with us quite often, but they are usually family restaurants. She has been to some nicer restaurants, but she's always as well behaved as a 1 1/2 year old can be. She shrieks happily and babbles loudly but she's nearly always happy. I can understand the really upscale places not wanting children there. They aren't being billed as a family restaurant and probably don't have a children's menu. My daughter would be furious with me if I went somewhere that didn't have food she liked.

See, this is it. If I'm out to eat someplace nice, I don't care if the shrieking kid is happy or upset - it's a shrieking kid, and that's the problem.[/quote]

Quote:
I suppose it's because I've been in education for many years, but I can ignore tantrums so easily. I take a slight bit of satisfaction in that they are not getting their way because I'm evil like that. Point -> Adults.

See, parents ignoring their children's tantrums, and not giving in, I support that. With obvious conditions, it's generally the best thing to do ("don't negotiate with terrorists" applies to screaming toddlers, too!). HOWEVER, if it's in public? Just ignoring the tantrum means you're subjecting everyone around you to your child's tantrum. At this point, we're not just angry at the kid, we're angry at you for not doing anything about it. Take your kid outside, whatever, I don't care - just make it shut up! Yes, I hate the sound of screaming children, and I know a lot of other people do, too (even if some people have the ability to easily ignore it). It's not fair to subject everyone else to it.

BTW, I'm using the general "you," not the specific "you."
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
See, parents ignoring their children's tantrums, and not giving in, I support that. With obvious conditions, it's generally the best thing to do ("don't negotiate with terrorists" applies to screaming toddlers, too!). HOWEVER, if it's in public? Just ignoring the tantrum means you're subjecting everyone around you to your child's tantrum. At this point, we're not just angry at the kid, we're angry at you for not doing anything about it. Take your kid outside, whatever, I don't care - just make it shut up! Yes, I hate the sound of screaming children, and I know a lot of other people do, too (even if some people have the ability to easily ignore it). It's not fair to subject everyone else to it.

I'm on board with all of this, and I'm the parent of two three year olds. If my kid is throwing a tantrum in public, I'll take them to outside (usually to the car) at the very least. Thankfully, my kids don't throw many tantrums.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that is much appreciated.

really, if your kid is having a tantrum, remove him or her from the premises. he/she is _still_ not getting his/her way - in fact, the kid is being removed from even the vicinity of getting it's way, so it should be all the more effective as an educational method.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
really, if your kid is having a tantrum, remove him or her from the premises. he/she is _still_ not getting his/her way - in fact, the kid is being removed from even the vicinity of getting it's way, so it should be all the more effective as an educational method.

I'd love to hear from someone that knows more about this than I do, but I'm not sure that that's the case.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to my mom it worked great with me. ^.^ She might be biased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: