welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread Reply with quote

So, uhm, hmmm.

Well, we have threads for movies, and books, and music. So how about one for comic books, ey? Maybe? Perhaps? Anyway.

So I guess I better start some kind of discussion. Prolly by axing a question n stuff.

So, anyone here like superheroes?!? Anyone got any faves? Anyone read comic book regularly? Anyone got any faves?

Been reading the Joss Wheddon X-Men stuff, and after reading a bunch of Mark Millar Marvel Universe stuff, it's like being able to breath air finally. Not perfect, but better than that cunt. Just began reading Ghost Box, which was sold as the finale of the series, even though it's entirely not - not even the same artists, let alone writer. But anyway the art is nice and the story not so bad so far.

It yet again leans heavily on one of my favourite comic book characters ever: Emma Frost. She's like Professor X, only with all that. Yeah, you know. Yeah you do.

I like that.

I also just got done reading The Killing Joke again, and Joker. Both good books. I love Alan Moore, who doesn't, but I prefer his 'original' work to his work on established titles. Though I read LXG: 1969 recently and was all meh and huh. The series rewards most when you recognise the minor characters and detail, but I guess copywrite issues mean he couldn't just announce that such-and-such was Mick Jagger, etc. Which removes some of the crossword puzzle-ish pleasure from it. Artwork awesome as ever, especially the weird Ralph Steadman-esque other plane stuff.

Planet Hulk & World War Hulk. Man Planet Hulk is good stuff, really suckered me in. Nothing astonishing in terms of writing, but an entirely new world with new species, new wars, new myths, etc, well realised. And then World War Hulk was again 'meh'. Hulk Not Like. Another demonstration that, frankly, there are too many superheroes.

Anyway, that's me, anyone else got any recommendations etc?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It *is* odd that we have yet to have a comic book thread.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do read comic books with regularity. I especially like #2's, but it's better if they're the older newsprint kind.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread Reply with quote

probably I should be being serious yes?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why start a trend, Yozzer?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
So, anyone here like superheroes?!? Anyone got any faves? Anyone read comic book regularly? Anyone got any faves?

ayep. I likes Ultimate Spider-Man and Captain America a lot. current Amazing Spider-Man has been very entertaining.

Marvel's trend toward ultraviolence and DC's trend toward revisiting the 1970's aren't doing much for me, tho. Fear Itself isn't showing much fear, and why isn't Daredevil the Man without Fear in it?

I enjoyed DC's characters from the late 1980s when I first read them up until they went thru Countdown to 52 Final Infinite Crises, at which point things became unrecognizable to me. I've read some of the recent event books mostly to keep up but they have been roundly terrible, especially the ones Grant Morrison has done which I don't get at all and hope it's just editorial interference and not that he's long past his peak. Modern Power Girl stories have been fun, tho I'm not overly enthused with the current artist, 'cos it's all supershiny photoshoppy.

I get to keep up for free 'cos I do a few hours a week in a shop that sells comics. It's not a proper comic shop tho, so I don't get to see everything. I also know that if I weren't able to read 'em for free I wouldn't be checking them out at all. Most of my buys are collected books, and I can get a wide range from my local library system.

the only titles I'm presently paying for monthly is Transformers and GIJoe, 'cos childhood.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presently finally reading Captain America Secret Empire which is stuff by Steve Englehart from 1974, prelude to Captain America no longer being Captain America for a while, and first of a series of 5 books that cover 3-4 years of comic. Being 1974 everything is super expositorily explained in thought balloons and there are more than three panels on a page (usually 7-9! shocking!) and even the characters that are friends are arrogant to each other.

And when that's done, I'll be reading Echo by Terry Moore, he's the guy that did Strangers in Paradise for a long long time and this is his superhero story, a woman gets this goo on her chest that gives her superduper powers and boy I wonder if he realised what that short description sounds like. Anyway Echo The Complete Series check it out in your local booksellers today.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if we can just drag lasers!reena in here.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the opener / prequel thing to Fear Itself and decided that I might start to read regularly, rather than just buying big name collections off the shelf. It didn't tempt me long term.

I find the recent movies are piquing my interest more, hence my recent dipping into X-Men stuff after X-Men: First Class. Prior to that, I only ever read Batman stuff. I was also very familiar with Spiderman stuff, because a slightly older relative gave me loads of late-seventies & early-eighties stuff. (Don't know where I ditched that stuff, gutted).

I only really love Batman so much for the bad guys, and it took the more recent movies & video games to remind me of that. I love that the Nolan Batman movies have made explicit what I always thought was the case - Batman created crazy, homicidal supervillains (namely the Joker, best comic book character ever imho).

Also, Transformers isn't a comic book, it's a toy. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very tempted to buy some Action Man toys and bash your GI Joes around like pew pew pew arghhhh you gots me arghhhh hahahaha fooled you pew pew pew and then we crash trucks together garrrrrrrrrrr arghhhhhhh urghhhhhhhhh and then our respective mom's call us in for our respective dinner's and tell us to wash our mucky hands.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:

Also, Transformers isn't a comic book, it's a toy. Razz

transformers change into other things! It's a toy and a comic and a movie and a novel and a TV show and a gun and a DVD and a constant source of nerd rage.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider Jerusalem ftw.

Other than that... hmmm... does this thread encompass graphic novels, as well?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: I dunno, seems right. Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
So, uhm, hmmm.

Well, we have threads for movies, and books, and music. So how about one for comic books, ey? Maybe? Perhaps? Anyway.

So I guess I better start some kind of discussion. Prolly by axing a question n stuff.

Been reading the Joss Wheddon X-Men stuff, and after reading a bunch of Mark Millar Marvel Universe stuff, it's like being able to breath air finally. Not perfect, but better than that cunt. Just began reading Ghost Box, which was sold as the finale of the series, even though it's entirely not - not even the same artists, let alone writer. But anyway the art is nice and the story not so bad so far.

It yet again leans heavily on one of my favourite comic book characters ever: Emma Frost. She's like Professor X, only with all that. Yeah, you know. Yeah you do.

I like that.

I also just got done reading The Killing Joke again, and Joker. Both good books. I love Alan Moore, who doesn't, but I prefer his 'original' work to his work on established titles. Though I read LXG: 1969 recently and was all meh and huh. The series rewards most when you recognise the minor characters and detail, but I guess copywrite issues mean he couldn't just announce that such-and-such was Mick Jagger, etc. Which removes some of the crossword puzzle-ish pleasure from it. Artwork awesome as ever, especially the weird Ralph Steadman-esque other plane stuff.

Planet Hulk & World War Hulk. Man Planet Hulk is good stuff, really suckered me in. Nothing astonishing in terms of writing, but an entirely new world with new species, new wars, new myths, etc, well realised. And then World War Hulk was again 'meh'. Hulk Not Like. Another demonstration that, frankly, there are too many superheroes.

Anyway, that's me, anyone else got any recommendations etc?

Neil Gaiman's Sandman?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Spider Jerusalem ftw.

Other than that... hmmm... does this thread encompass graphic novels, as well?

If you want it to HR, then it does, I'm not sure where 'comic book' ends and 'graphic novel' begins. I'm pretty much a newb to the whole genre. I'm told I own a number of 'graphic novels', but the only one I would indentify as such - or rather, would say 'it's not a comic book' - is From Hell. So, any Graphic Novels I should be looking out for? And please don't say that mouse one about the Final Solution or whatever it is, I'm sure it's a great work of art and all but I'm not sure I want to get that depressed.

Also, Thy, of course Sandman. It's one of those things where I don't know whether I can afford to begin with it - comics are monumentally expensive, given the actual reading time they offer. Honestly: I'm going to lay out the best part of a hundred to read the whole thing. Worth it?

On similair lines: Hellboy, Constantine, etc ... it costs a lot to start at the beginning and catch up ... anything I should avoid, anything I should grab right now?

Super mention on the mention of super heroes, glad to see that The Human Torch is dead (for now). Always wondered what the point of him was. I mean, you're trapped in a burning building, a crashing aeroplane, whatever ... who do you want? Flying man! Right. Only he's on fire.

Yeah, i'll jump down thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:

Also, Thy, of course Sandman. It's one of those things where I don't know whether I can afford to begin with it - comics are monumentally expensive, given the actual reading time they offer. Honestly: I'm going to lay out the best part of a hundred to read the whole thing. Worth it?

It's pretty dope. And all that shit is expensive anyhow so going with Sandman is the best choice if you have to make one.

You could always buy the first few collecteds and see for yourself if you like it. I think it's worth it but I fuckign love comics.

Also, wouldn't the whole series cost much more than a hundred? I'm pretty sure that it's like 25 euros per issue here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: