welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW RIGHT, LAS!? GOD, I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED.

In other news, I picked up Birds of Prey Of Like Minds and Secret Six Unhinged.

I'm really liking Birds of Prey, but I think Secret Six is a little grim for me. I really wanted to get into Secret Six, too, but I just can't get over everyone being an asshole all the time, even if there are glimmers of niceness.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Ahem.

BIG NEWS

Considering everything else that Picard and his crew have been through anyone who says this couldn't happen is retarded. And Dr. Who... well what's NOT possible, amirite?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww, why couldn't it be Tennant? Sad
(I really like Tennant. I have yet to watch any with that new guy.)
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm the only one that fell madly in love with Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. Not that I don't love Tennant nearly as much... but nobody else seems to pine for Eccleston's mad grin like I do!

Oh well.

I do like Eleven okay... but he does reside in my head as 'the rude one', so there is that.

Edit to add: I've just realized this leaves Nine or Ten open to visiting... oh say... the TOS cast. It's now head canon, I can't undo a thought that awesome.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am honestly a little scared because I am picking up the newest Star Trek (from the movie cannon) series from IDW and it is okay but not spectacular. And seriously, I have high fucking standards when it comes to Dr. Who.

Yorick - I know exactly what you mean but I gave Matt Smith a chance and while he's no David Tennant, he is still an excellent Doctor. The stories are really good. Give it a go.

Samsally - you aren't alone. Chris used to really love Eccleston but Tennant won him over. But hot damn, the Empty Child was just too good to forget.

Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

Yorick - I know exactly what you mean but I gave Matt Smith a chance and while he's no David Tennant, he is still an excellent Doctor. The stories are really good. Give it a go.

NO I CANT I HAVENT CAUGHT UP YET
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point/Counterpoint on the first arc of the new Justice League.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lengthy, recent interview with Alan Moore about Watchmen
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Comic Book Day tomorrow! Who's going?!?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking over some of the promotional titles and none of them are all that appealing. It doesn't help that the special FCBD issues are usually more garishly rendered and less well-written than normal.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on your store and what they got in, but there's a Donald Duck book by Carl Barks -- can't go wrong there -- and a promo for Barnaby, a comic strip from the 40s that's being collected in books.

I've found that about half the FCBD stuff in the past has been reprints for jumping on instead of new material. There's a fair bit of kid-friendly stuff this year, more than I can think of having seen in recent past. Simpsons/Spongebob, Adventure Time/Peanuts, Mouse Guard, Smurfs/TinkerBell. I haven't read all of these tho. My sister in law can pass some of these on to her nieces & nephews.

Anyway, what's important is getting people to go to comic book stores. If they have a good experience and enjoy something maybe they'll come back.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the re-booted DC Universe's new multiverse, the Earth 2 Alan Scott is gay (like the old mainstream Scott's son, Obsidian). I wish I could say that the only strong reaction to this has been from cynics who want to chide the comics industry only for being behind the times with their publicity stunts, but unfortunately that's not so. I've seen plenty of people choking up the comments sections on news sites with plain ol' homophobia.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty bad before they even announced who it would be, even, people were spamming the writer's facebook page with "You better not make <superhero> gay or I'll quit comics forever." kind of bullshit.

I'm curious to see how it will all go, in the end. Green Lantern is not my favorite, but the only book I've got with him in it he's written like a vapid frat boy inexplicably obsessed with cartoons and completely unable to use his ring to any useful effect... so, I feel like I probably haven't given him a proper chance yet. To be fair, none of the other characters in that book were very good, either, and I suspect it was just a bad book. It was one of the JLA ones. I forget which.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's the fifth most important human green lantern!

Really, DC's "we're making an iconic hero gay!" to catch up with Marvel and bringing out Alan Scott after a great deal of hype... it's like Marvel announcing that the human torch is gay, only it's not Johnny Storm, it's Jim Hammond, the android human torch that fought nazis with captain America and Bucky, who is pretty much only known by mega-nerds.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weird because a _lot_ of DC characters are gay. Funny, it is mostly the women but DC has had a solid showing for a long time (Gail Simone puts that in a lot of her stories). Hell, they inherited Wildstorm which has a ton of alternate lifestyles. This push is just weird to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: