welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
What are your ideas about Marvel 1602 btw? I thought it sounded pretty dope but I didn't buy it because woe is me I am poor.

I read the first hardcover collection and it was not bad. Kind of interesting to see Marvel characters in European Age of Exploration/Colonization incarnations, but the overall story wasn't all that. I really don't think they planned much beyond "Hey wouldn't it be cool if..." Of course that generally applies to a lot of those Elseworlds/WhateverMarvelCallsThem stories.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Snorri wrote:
What are your ideas about Marvel 1602 btw? I thought it sounded pretty dope but I didn't buy it because woe is me I am poor.

I read the first hardcover collection and it was not bad. Kind of interesting to see Marvel characters in European Age of Exploration/Colonization incarnations, but the overall story wasn't all that. I really don't think they planned much beyond "Hey wouldn't it be cool if..." Of course that generally applies to a lot of those Elseworlds/WhateverMarvelCallsThem stories.

I figured it wouldn't be an amazing story or anything, but I'm looking for general dopeness. Do you think it's worth buying the first volume?

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't tell you. Being out of work for so long has screwed up my "worth it"-ometer, plus I never bought many comics anyway (library FTW).
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been partial to one long-gone comic series, Strikeforce Morituri. It has a small cult following, but is one of the more emotionally honest series I've ever read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Morituri
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrikeforceMorituri

With that under my belt, I was never really able to get into all these "lock up the villain in the plot prison (until he breaks out, as they always do)" continuities. I love the ideas of Spiderman, Thor, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, and a few others, but just can't get emotionally invested in anything they do. I greatly enjoyed the second Spiderman movie (despite its major plot holes), but found the first and third only barely passable.

On the other hand; Watchmen, some of Venom's miniseries, the cheese-tastic Superman: Red Son miniseries... these and others, I found deeply enjoyable.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not kept up with comics in a long time and I'm kind of ashamed to admit that. The one recent series I've managed to read lately was Buffy Season 8. If you watched the entire series it's a great continuation and has the feel of the show down pat. It's good stuff.

Regarding Sandman, I only started reading the series a few years ago and was only able to read it in its entirety thanks to my local library. I was pleased to discover that my library had picked up the graphic novels and they included everything except "The Wake" and "Endless Nights". I bought both of those myself.

I also picked up "Origin" because I've been a fan of Wolverine forever but I really can't recommend it. I think that in his case the lack of an origin story was far better.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Old Man Logan series? I've heard of it and the basic premise but I haven't had the time or means to pick it up at all and I'd like to know if it's any good.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Old Man Logan series? I've heard of it and the basic premise but I haven't had the time or means to pick it up at all and I'd like to know if it's any good.

well, it was full of the old ultraviolence, and the ending (I thought) was pretty lame.
simfonic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of not keeping up with comics in ages, too. I used to read them constantly in my teens, but maybe being so digital has helped with the lapse, the readily available web comic format and all that. I remember really liking Grendel when I was 15-ish, though I can't remember shit about it now. sad

wow, that is some really awful art...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
I also picked up "Origin" because I've been a fan of Wolverine forever but I really can't recommend it. I think that in his case the lack of an origin story was far better.

Complete agreement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
well, it was full of the old ultraviolence...

nice clockwork orange reference, little droogie!

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough of the old in-out in-out though, not enough to make me put down my milk plus, viddy, nice call though my devotchka.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 'dopeness' thanks for some awesome recommendations, oh peers of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Comedy gold. Reply with quote

Who needs Wolverine when you got Gambit.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or rather, 'Ooo needz ze Wolferine when you are 'avin ze Gambit, non?'

I'm getting rather good at speaking French, (after like two posts of fluentness, or 'ow do you say, ze cunning linguism'?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
TIAB wrote:

Complete agreement.

OK, I'll try to give an unbiased assessment:

The story is fairly well written and falls in line with everything that we've learned about Logan over the years and fills in some very large blanks. It removes the mystery of his origin and fills it in with what many people would consider to be long overdue back story. Others, like myself, considered the mystery of Wolverine's origin to be one of the most compelling elements of his story and will mourn the loss. It's a good read for those new and relatively unfamiliar with the character. If you are a long-time follower of Wolverine, your mileage may vary.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, having an origin led to one of the most amusing bits of Whedon's "Astonishing X-men" where Wolverine's original "James" personality is brought back.

There's also an issue of Exiles (I really enjoyed Exiles; lots of alternate timeline stories, anyone can die at any time and does, lots of great tragedy, up until Chris Claremont got his creatively bankrupt paws on it and ruined Nocturne) where dozens of alternate versions of Wolverine, including James, get sent to stop a version of Wolverine that had been physically & psychically merged with Magneto (and others that I forget). 'cos it's comics. It's got every version of Wolverine you can think of (up tot he point it was published, anyway, it was years before Old Man)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: