welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amazing Super Marvel Dark Comic Book X-Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
She was damn good in BSG as well.

Blood Soaked Grandma?
Big Sexy Grape?
Bleating Selfish Goat?
Badass Salamander Games?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of late notice, but IDW's Transformers comics are in a huge sale at Humble Bundle until Wednesday.

Pay-what-you-want for 4 volumes of Transformers Classics, 4 volumes of All Hail Megatron, 1 volume each of Regeneration and Spotlight, and a bunch of single issues from some of the other titles.
Pay more than $15 to get More than Meets the Eye vols. 1 & 2 and Robots in Disguise vols. 1 & 2.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the next two weeks, $15 at the Humble Comics Bundle will get you almost all of the IDW My Little Pony comics so far.

That'd be issues 1-23 of the main series, all ten issues of the character-spotlighting micro series, 1-10 of the paired-up Friends Forever side series, and two "Animated" volumes that basically adapt episodes from the show.

Since more comics are on the way, they'll probably add some of the more recently published issues (the main series is up to #25 and Friends Forever is at #11) and maybe throw in the 2013 and 2014 Annuals.

If a measly 15 bucks is too much, you can just pay what you want for issues 1-10 of the micro series and 1-5 of the Friends Forever series, or pay just over the running average to get those comics plus 6-10 of the Friends Forever side series and issues 1-12 of the main series.

It's always best to get in on these sales early, so that you get the obligatory mid-sale New Items added to your purchase automatically.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Journey Into Mystery comics starring kid Loki and oh man it's so great I don't want it to end. Unfortunately I know it does (and even kind of how) because I read Young Avengers first. And also Agent of Asgard. But kid Loki > young adult Loki.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Humble Books Bundle is giving away a free comic each day as part of the Dynamite MEGA Holidays bundle. Today's free issue is Red Sonja #7, apparently. Just show up and click to get your download key.
The sale itself is huge-mongous, too!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bunch of tpbs arrive yesterday. Including Grant Morrison's X-Men run vol 7 & 8. I can't tell whether they're so crazy because I was drunk when I read them or because Grant Morrison was drunk when he wrote them or because they're just crazy. Either way I won't go into spoilers.

Also reading Vol 1 of Sex Criminals. Can't think of a funnier, better book - book in the most generalised way - that I've read in years.

Hawkeye Vol 3 yet to read.

But Jeebus Christmas, is Sex Criminals so good!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was really annoyed at work all afternoon 'cos my copy of Saga vol.4 got delivered at around lunch time, and my work has some bullshit 'no reading comic books whilst your pretending to listen to customers' policy.

Holy shit is Saga still awesome. I've read a few of Brian K Vaughan's things before, and always enjoyed them but kinda get tired of his voice after a while. But with Fiona Staples art and character design you can NOT stop reading this stuff.

What with Saga, Manhattan Projects, East Of West, Pretty Deadly and Sex Criminals, I'm amazed anyone still reads the big two any more. Image Comics is having a Scarlett Johansen of a year. Even it's second tier (to me, anyways) titles - Deadly Class, Black Science - are as good as probably anything Marvel are doing, and a tonne better than nearly every DC title.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty confident Paul Rudd can make this work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from work at 18:40 knowing that I had Manhattan Projects Vol 5 waiting for me. Oh, I teased ... rolled a little ciggie, poured a nice Chenin Blanc ... teased that bitch out of her cardboard Amazon branded packaging, real slow like ... tried a little foreplay (dug out volume 4 and skimmed it) ... but oh boy ...

I am so into this dirty science / alternate history comic ... I was done 19:30. Satisfied, but not sated, hungry for more ...

Anyway, anyone who wants to borrow my copy is welcome, it was excellent.

Just wait till I have my way with Sex Criminals, Vol 2, out at the end of the month. Oh yeah baby. We both know what happens to books like that!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty confident Paul Rudd can make this work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8

I am still on a massive downer knowing that this could have been an Edgar Wright movie, but fuck it, let's move on.

Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas's Prosthetic Beard in a Marvel movie? Together? I fold, take my money.

(Also can I be the one trillionth person to notice that Paul Rudd just never ages - man looks so good. He must have a rapidly decaying self portrait barely hanging together in Alicia Silverstone's home/E Z Store Lock Up).
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Marvel 1602 recently and absolutely loved it. If you aren't familiar with it, Neil Gaiman basically rewrites the Marvel Universe with a ton of major characters set in the year 1602. It's fun, and the context makes sense by the end of it.

Also, I finally got around to reading The Killing Joke. I could use some more DC stuff to read, at least some of the stories that have held up over the years. None of that New 52 crap or Superman deciding to teach Jimmy Olsen a lesson by nearly drowning him or other such superdickery.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Humble Books Bundle is for Image comics, with up to 143 issues in the deal so far.
Some highlights:

- At a new $18 level you get Saga volume 1 and The Walking Dead Compendium 1 along with a bunch of other stuff.
- At the "just above average" level you get the first volumes of Sex Criminals, Velvet, The Fuse, The Wicked + The Divine, and The Manhattan Projects, plus other stuff including Vol. 22 of The Walking Dead.
- The pay-anything level includes first volumes of Alex + Ada, The Elephantmen!, Minimum Wage, and Cowl as well as (you guessed it) a bunch of other stuff.

As usual they're going to start piling more comics onto the bundle by the halfway point in the sale. Also, at 11 am Pacific Time (GMT -Cool they're going to start handing out free issues each day like the last sale. Just show up and click the button for your free issue of the day until the sale ends.

The charity option this time around is for The Hero Initiative, which tries to create a safety net for older comic book creators who may have been screwed over by old industry practices and facing steep medical bills or other potentially ruinous expenses, and tries to help them get back into paying work (comics or otherwise).
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
I picked up Marvel 1602 recently and absolutely loved it. If you aren't familiar with it, Neil Gaiman basically rewrites the Marvel Universe with a ton of major characters set in the year 1602. It's fun, and the context makes sense by the end of it.

Also, I finally got around to reading The Killing Joke. I could use some more DC stuff to read, at least some of the stories that have held up over the years. None of that New 52 crap or Superman deciding to teach Jimmy Olsen a lesson by nearly drowning him or other such superdickery.

I think 1602 had a run after Gaiman wrote the book, there may be more stuff out there. It was certainly a fun read, and for me a fun book to return to as I'd rarely read any Marvel comics when I read that. So fresh readings later make me go 'oh so that's who that is!'.

*edit: Here's one of the sequels, 1602: The New World written by Greg Pak who did World War Hulk. /edit *

Regarding older DC stuff / Alan Moore 'Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow. For Batman stuff, Jeph Loeb's The Long Halloween is my personal favourite. You've probably read both mind, they've been out for some time. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum is in the same boat; the plot is a little thinner but the artwork by Dave McKean is scary pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: