welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lindsey Lohan: Did she ever really have a chance?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Lindsey Lohan: Did she ever really have a chance? Reply with quote

So LiLo is doing playboy, and the pictures have already made their way to the internet. Basically a copy of the marilyn monroe spread from the first issue.

It isn't really up for debate that this poor woman is a hot mess, but my question for you all is this. Did she really have a chance to be anything but this?

Her family had her involved in hollywood from the age of 3 years old in a ford commercial, modelling for various companies from then til she turned 12 and starred in the parent trap. Its pretty obvious that she didn't exactly have a normal childhood to do normal things and develop in a normal way.

With the number of crash and burn stories we have regarding child actors, isn't it somewhat cruel to push or encourage a career on people who are so young?[/i]
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'm amazed Playboy made her an offer, then again I'm sure teh interwebs have really hurt their bottom line.

Secondly, I always thought she was a waste of what could have been a phenomenal acting career. I'm not saying she was going to be the next Hepburn, but I think she could have done way better than queen of tabloid fodder.

Ok so quick google search and... it doesn't even look like her. Hell, I'd readily believe it if someone told me it's not really her.

Which goes to show that Playboy was looking to cash in solely on her name.

Nude or not, does anyone here find her attractive anymore?

Oh, BTW, in my house we call it the "CURSE OF DISNEY" (Brittany Spears, Hillary Duff, etc.) Makes me wonder how long till we read our first "Selena Gomez checks into rehab headline". Not saying the all become bad eggs but it's definitely russian roulette.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may not be every child star, the proportion of child stars who see a lot of success while young seems to have a higher proportion of flameouts than those who do their one or two season show and are never seen again.

I'm not having much success finding any reasonable comparisons.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there are no reasonable comparisons, because most children aren't holding down high-paying jobs before they hit junior high. maybe you can look at children of the very rich, but i think the dynamic would still be different - even a rich kid must know that the money is daddy's, while a child star must be acutely aware that they are the earner. that would put a double strain - one, the pampering they get because they are stars and making lots of money, and the feeling that their family depends on them as a breadwinner. and even if they get to spend time with 'normal' kids, the interaction is probably not normal because the 'normal' kids respond to them as stars - which could be negative or positive.

i guess it's a reason to support total-CGI movies - "no children were screwed up in the making of this film".
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think childhood stardom is a symptom, not the disease. The problem is the parents, and it happens to both rich and poor. Specifically, parents who want to live through their kids, either pushing the kid to be everything they never could be, or to be exactly as the parent is. The former drives the kid to flaming out, the latter boxes them in until they explode.

You see it everywhere if you look, the only difference is that childhood stars make newspapers, kids raised to be proud of being racist and ignorant usually don't. Nor do the ones who eventually quietly break under the weight of unreasonable expectations.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
While it may not be every child star, the proportion of child stars who see a lot of success while young seems to have a higher proportion of flameouts than those who do their one or two season show and are never seen again.

But those who have only a mediocre level of success or celebrity, where would their flameouts be reported? I'm just guessing here but I'd suggest that the list of child star turned crazy person is not longer than the child star turned sane adult cinema / television personality. Though I'd agree Lohan didn't seem to have a chance, her parents appear to be utterly discpicable.

Cards on table: Mean Girls is one of my favourite ever movies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
I honestly think childhood stardom is a symptom, not the disease. The problem is the parents, and it happens to both rich and poor. Specifically, parents who want to live through their kids, either pushing the kid to be everything they never could be, or to be exactly as the parent is. The former drives the kid to flaming out, the latter boxes them in until they explode.

The question has always been: how do you distinguish the parents who are supporting a child's natural talent and/or desires, and those who are not? In the first group, how do you determine when it's too far? Who makes the determination? What's the exit strategy?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

But those who have only a mediocre level of success or celebrity, where would their flameouts be reported? I'm just guessing here but I'd suggest that the list of child star turned crazy person is not longer than the child star turned sane adult cinema / television personality. Though I'd agree Lohan didn't seem to have a chance, her parents appear to be utterly discpicable.

Cards on table: Mean Girls is one of my favourite ever movies.

Honestly, I don't think those who only have mediocre levles of success or celebrity generally have the means to manage such spectacular flameouts. It costs a lot of money to live a blatantly dissolute lifestyle.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, perhaps, though I don't think wealth has much to do with it. I mean, it isn't that expensive to rent a limo, get wasted, flash your panties, get drunk, sick on a cop, fuck a passer-by and then get six months in chokey. It's actually pretty standard for Wigan girls.

Seriously, most people could do that stuff once every coupla months if they saved their paycheck a little. But TMZ wouldn't notice.

We're not always talking Sheen 'suitcase full of beak' levels here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
The question has always been: how do you distinguish the parents who are supporting a child's natural talent and/or desires, and those who are not? In the first group, how do you determine when it's too far? Who makes the determination? What's the exit strategy?

There's the rub, you really can't most of the time. You have to be fairly close to the people involved to see the difference, and it's easy to mistake the one for the other until after the damage has (or hasn't) been done.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
andrew wrote:

There's the rub, you really can't most of the time. You have to be fairly close to the people involved to see the difference, and it's easy to mistake the one for the other until after the damage has (or hasn't) been done.

Sweetie, I really appreciate the effort you gave there but hey Andrew is a big star and you'll have to shine shine shine if you want to be noticed. So, once more ... with FEELING!

tapatapatapa!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTHING I EVER DO IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!

*Storms out of the thread*
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
andrew wrote:

Yeah, basically this. There are some general themes in parenting which work out as good indications of if a parent is responsibly managing their kid, in and out of hollywood, so you could look at what, say, the Cyrus family was doing that the Lohan family wasn't.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in a dusty corner of my garage, there's a scrap of paper listing signs of the apocalypse.

Somewhere on that list is "using the Cyrus family as a positive example."
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought she died.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: