welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the disneyfication of 9/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Major Tom wrote:
the dev--i mean disney?

I also heard that the president is going to be giving an address during a break in the film.

Yes, the second part on Monday night will have a 20 minute interruption for an address by George W. Bush on the 5th anniversary of the attacks. I'm sure it'll be 20 minutes about how the viligance of the good, responsible people within his administration have prevented additional attacks on US soil after he memorializes those that died in the attacks.

One thing I wonder about - have any of the producers of any of the recent films that have come out about the events of 9/11 given any thought to the idea for those that survived, or those that know they should have been in the towers but by quirk of fate weren't, re-enacting that day after 5 years may be a bit too soon?
E-boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for ags. I'm gonna have to agree with Sam. Not just because the facts are actually fairly easy to verify, but also because some of the rather decietful talk takes for granted things like today's rather frightening technological leaps.

In the gulf war one era, and into the time in question in the Clinton administration strike warfare required a good 24 hours minimum to arrange a strike on a target even with good human intel. For a target that moves around a lot such a strike would therefore be difficult to arrange at best. Also inherently risky.

Today it takes about 20 minutes. You can sorta tell the assumptions they are making (even assuming the story is true, and it isn't) are based on todays capabilities.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:

One thing I wonder about - have any of the producers of any of the recent films that have come out about the events of 9/11 given any thought to the idea for those that survived, or those that know they should have been in the towers but by quirk of fate weren't, re-enacting that day after 5 years may be a bit too soon?

they have a responsibility to be thoughtless bastards
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nytimes wrote:
The anniversary of the attacks by 19 Al Qaeda hijackers has brought a sharp, public, often rancorous re-examination of security policies under President Bush and even before him — an ABC-TV program suggesting that Clinton administration officials missed a chance to kill Osama bin Laden was re-edited after those officials protested forcefully that they were misrepresented.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: wtfe Reply with quote

The docudrama bowed to the reality bias.

DAMN YOU LIBERAL MEDIA
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: wtfe Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
The docudrama bowed to the reality bias.

DAMN YOU LIBERAL MEDIA

Reality has a well-known liberal bias. Crying or Very sad
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Whoa.

Backlash.

Quote:
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS ABC is frantically recutting its $40 million miniseries about 9/11 amid a blistering backlash over fictional scenes that lay the blame on the Clinton administration.

Also feeling the heat was Scholastic, which yanked a classroom guide tie-in to the program.

Former New Jersey Gov. Thomas Kean, the former head of the 9/11 commission and a paid consultant on the ABC miniseries, told the Daily News yesterday that some controversial scenes in "The Path to 9/11" were being removed or changed.

"ABC is telling me that the final version I'll be pleased with," said Kean, softening his own previous defense of the movie.

Unmollified, Democrats continued to demand that ABC yank the two-night docudrama that former President Bill Clinton's spokesman called "despicable." It is scheduled to start airing Sunday.

And Clinton's lawyer sent Kean a chiding letter expressing "shock" that a man so dedicated to accuracy had worked on a movie "that has been widely criticized for its libelous historical inaccuracies."

The chorus of outrage - ranging from Clinton cabinet members to liberal bloggers to 9/11 families to ordinary moms canceling trips to Disneyland - put ABC and parent company Disney under tremendous pressure just days before the movie's premiere.

First to go was a made-up scene showing Clinton national security adviser Sandy Berger hanging up on CIA operatives who were moments away from killing Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan. "You will not see that in that way in the final edition," Kean said.

The Clinton White House did scotch several opportunities to kill Al Qaeda's founder because intelligence was sketchy. But unlike in the film, the CIA was never steps away from Bin Laden, nor did Berger hang up on agents in the field, Kean admitted.

Driven by the Internet's main liberal Web sites, the outrage over ABC's dramatization was reminiscent of the 2003 conservative furor that forced CBS to pull an unflattering Ronald Reagan biopic. Phones rang off the hook and e-mail boxes were clogged all day at Scholastic Inc., ABC and Disney. "We're getting slammed," said one frazzled ABC staffer.

Scholastic caved quickly, yanking educational materials tied to the movie that critics said linked Iraq to 9/11 and glossed over the grim situation in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We determined that the materials did not meet our high standards for dealing with controversial issues," Scholastic Chairman Dick Robinson said.
ABC released a defensive statement calling criticism of the film "premature and irresponsible" because it was still being edited. The network sent out preview DVDs weeks ago.

Democrats, noting that Republicans have vowed to campaign on terrorism this fall, saw a political conspiracy. "I think they wanted to run this before the midterm elections," said Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.).

Several top Democratic senators, including Sens. Chuck Schumer of New York and Harry Reid of Nevada, accused ABC boss Bob Iger in a letter of airing "right-wing political propaganda" and obliquely threatened his broadcast license.

The senators said ABC should be a responsible "beneficiary of the free use of the public airwaves" and cancel the movie.

Asked if he had apologized to Clinton for inaccuracies in the movie, Kean quipped, "No, he was out campaigning against my son yesterday, so I didn't reach out to him at all!"

Kean's son is a GOP Senate candidate in New Jersey.
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo... common sense one for once? Wow... i havent seen that happen in a long time.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Quote:
...to ordinary moms canceling trips to Disneyland...

aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha

yay
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They showed The Path To 9/11 on BBC 2 tonight.

Discussion of political bias aside, two things struck me:

1. Bizarre over-emphasis everytime someone said the word "female".

2. Harvey Keitel talking about balls a lot more than is natural. Seriously. That was weird.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that too.

"Blah blah blah was caught by a FEMALE police comstable."

Everytime it was like they were going to lead into a PHWOAR I'D LIKE A BIT OF THAT CRUMPET but they never really did.

I didn't notice the balls thing, Criminal Intent started and Goran was all up in these guys grill, it was awesome.

Also, after finding a body in the harbour with strange patches on his neck they were discussing if they were sea sickness patches or nicotine patches and Eames said

"Well, they're not 'learn to swim' patches."

BA-BAM!
Major Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd really like to poke goran in the snoot...

...might fix that neck thing.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
I didn't notice the balls thing, Criminal Intent started and Goran was all up in these guys grill, it was awesome.

“They’ll hang you out to dry until your balls look like they’ve been freeze-dried.”
“Not these balls.”

“That guy has some serious cojones”
“Yeah well, so have I.”

“Don’t underestimate him, he has a lots of balls.”

(At his son’s birthday)
Raises a glass
“To balls!”

Did Harvey Keitel’s testicles really feature that prominently in the 9/11 commission’s report?
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: snip Reply with quote

Damnit, man, America's balls are on the paper cutter, here.

DO YOU LOVE AMERICA'S BALLS?

WELL THEN FOR GOD SAKE WE MUST DEFEAT THE COLD CUTTING CASTRATING ARM OF TERRORISM
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do the terrorists need your balls anyway?

Why do I suddenly have the urge to listen to AC/DC?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: