welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transformers - Please don't suck!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Presumably this is a kid's movie? I'm not sure you should put these big serious expectations on it.

I have never pretended to understand it, but a lot of full grown adults have a strange fanaticism for these children's toys franchise. It's an adult thing.
andrew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantismag wrote:
does it really matter what vehicles they use for the street car transformers? other than making fanboys cry i don't really see this causing any problem. as long as cars remain cars, jets remain jets, the constructicons remain construction robots, etc. it really doesn't make any difference.

The big one people are pissed about is Megatron. He's supposed to be a gun, and now he's an alien-looking spacecraft.

Pictures Here
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megatron never made any goddam sense -- big as prime as a robot, but transformed he was a hand weapon.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked that's the new megatron???

Shocked

hold me
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
megatron never made any goddam sense -- big as prime as a robot, but transformed he was a hand weapon.

Yes, this was one of the questions asked of the guys working on the movie (might've been Bay.) This has been termed "mass shifting" and happened to Megatrom and Soundwave often. The guys working on the movie said that they wouldn't be doing this, hence why Megatron is a spacecraft instead of a gun. Never mind that they could actually do it two other ways: 1) as a cannon of sorts, like Galvatron became, or 2) transform into a gun that a "joiner" robot, like the Constructicon Devistator, can use.

I guess I'm okay with some, like the aforementioned Starscream being an F22 (though a red, blue and silver F22 is going to look kinda funny.) And at least Prime looks like a semi in vehicle form. Still, like MT said, Bumble Bee was a small scout. He was supposed to be weak and unremarkable. A muscle car puts him out of character, IMHO.

Sam or Marik wrote:
It's a Michael Bay movie about a franchise of toys that was marketed to eight year old boys, about robots that lived on other planets and just happened totally by chance to each transform into things that strangely looked exactly like human vehicles and technologies from the 1980's.

You don't know your Transformers very well, do you. The pilot episode actually had the Transformers transforming into some strange liiking vehicles and "planes". It wasn't until they crashed on the earth, and the Autobot computer "rebuilt" the Autobot and Decepticons to look like earth vehicles. In fact, as we moved into the Movie, many of the new Transformers did not look just like earth vehicles (though very similar.)

Sam wrote:
I have never pretended to understand it, but a lot of full grown adults have a strange fanaticism for these children's toys franchise. It's an adult thing.

Two things. One, transformers may well have been the cooles toys ever.

Two, many of us had parents that couldn't afford to buy us these cool transformers and now that we are grown up and have some money to spend, we buy them and play with them making explosion sounds while coming up with story lines...

Um....Yeah. Enough geekiness for now...

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even as a kid I thought the whole Huge-Robot-to-Small-Pistol thing was wierd. I wish they would have made him more like Galvatron, and have him transform into a tripod mounted cannon instead.

Then again, since most of the Decepticons could fly and most of the Autobots couldn't, there's a certain sense in him transforming into something flight-capable...
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Megatron of "Generation 2" when he turned into a tank instead of a gun. The toy is still in my collection (I think .. I haven't actually looked at them in some years ...)
strangemusic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, the Win on this subject is deliverable in comic form.

Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lawn mower thing's been done.

http://www.bandwidththeater.com/morethan.html
strangemusic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i've seen that, that's funny
mantismag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
The big one people are pissed about is Megatron. He's supposed to be a gun, and now he's an alien-looking spacecraft.

Pictures Here

wow that does look really weird. then again transforming into a gun was always lame. the fact that the leader turned into a weapon to be wielded by someone else never made sense to me as a kid. shouldn't one of his flunkies be the one turning into a weapon?
Halen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always remembered megatron having the ability to fly in gun form, and he could choose whether to be a big version or normal-sized version of himself.
Omega F

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the megatron gun thing was poetic. If I recall correctly, Megatron had pretty much no physical weakness. He was just the consumate coward and ran off if any sign of loss was in the horizon. Anywho, physically without peer, in his transformer mode he is forced to depend on another, to trust one of his minions to wield the power of his plasma cannon. Someone so powerful must be taken down a peg in one respect or another.

Prime's only weakness was stabbing trauma to the mid-section and repeated gunshot blasts.
andrew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:

A lot of those adults were kids when the show originally aired.

Hence all the "OMG Michael Bay VIOLENTLY raped my childhood!" comments.

In other news, Transformers vs Gobots, GO!
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem is that all the characters are no in retard-o angst vision. In the cartoons that were appropriatly angular, you could see how they wood transform and those angles would become wings or something. Now megatron looks like a frickin' witchblade character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: