welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collector's edition Barbie causing outcry.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Collector's edition Barbie causing outcry. Reply with quote

There seems to be a ruckus going on about the new Tokidoki Barbie

The short pink hair is an issue for the detractors on it's own. As arw the clothes she is packaged with.

However, the major point of complaint is the fact that she is heavily tattooed.

She has numerous tattoos across her chest and neck as well as a full "sleeve" featuring a Geisha

The thing that really makes me facepalm the people complaining, is that this is NOT a commercially available version. It is a limited availability, special order only, collectors edition that is again NOT available for general retail sale.

If a kid gets one of these, it is because their parent(s) managed to special order one of the 7400 created and gave it to them.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, heaven forfend barbie conform to an unrealistic modern standard of beauty rather than an unrealistic 50's standard of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pft, she's adorable. And I don't even like pink. But yeah, extremely unrealistic. It's barbie though, we'd be surprised if she -wasn't-.

Things you might not know: tokidoki is a brand name... I've only ever seen it associated with makeup until now. Basically everything they make has little drawings and pictures splattered all over it so I don't see why they'd change their style when collaborating with Barbie.
Gregolama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's such a cool item...
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMGOMGOMG I WANT THE PET!!!

So I think the Barbie is really neat.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
yes, heaven forfend barbie conform to an unrealistic modern Japanese standard of beauty rather than an unrealistic 50's American standard of beauty.

Fix'd

I first heard about this here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/19/and-now-the-tokidoki-barbie-doll

Also, Tokidoki is sold out of the doll, and they were limiting purchases to two dolls per order. http://www.tokidoki.it/shop/barbie/tokidokir-barbier-doll.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: