welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why, That's Nice (The Charity Thread)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Why, That's Nice (The Charity Thread) Reply with quote

So I know that at least one or two people on here aren't entirely heartless bastards and like to contribute to charities and perhaps more importantly do a bit of fund raising. And also I guess one or two might be participating in Movember given the time of year. So perhaps this is maybe a slim little thread wherein those who want to can talk a bit about the things they're involved in.

Of course, I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't have some kind of self-interest. Those of you who know me on facebook might notice some links to my Movember a/c. Those of whom don't have me on facebook are missing out (on some thrillingly charasmatic acting videos) but can donate via the link above or here.

I expect I'll keep you updated with my progress from bumfluffed fleck of a boy to full Omar Sherrif'd bristler somehow.

But genuinely, if anyone else is involved in any charitable organisations maybe this is a nice place to write about it and let people in on your good works. Solicitation, ego buffing and doing something nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Why, That's Nice (The Charity Thread) Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
So I know that at least one or two people on here aren't entirely heartless bastards

I want them hunted down and shot.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really afford to give money, which is why I'm not paying you to look like you're using your upper lip to smuggle pubic hair over the border.

I give a fair bit of my time performing for charity. My friend Walky threw a big gig a few months ago called Not Dying Of Hunger, where a bunch of us local musos and performers jumped in and raised about a grand for Northern Africa. We're hoping to make it a series, and sometime around November or December I will hopefully put together Not Being Blind, to raise money for the Fred Hollow foundation and the great work they do in regional Australia with indigenous communities that have huge rates of avoidable and easily treated vision problems and blindness.

YAY HELPING!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Movember all year right here.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... better watch out, lest Darqcyde find this thread...
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
I can't really afford to give money, which is why I'm not paying you to look like you're using your upper lip to smuggle pubic hair over the border.

I give a fair bit of my time performing for charity. My friend Walky threw a big gig a few months ago called Not Dying Of Hunger, where a bunch of us local musos and performers jumped in and raised about a grand for Northern Africa. We're hoping to make it a series, and sometime around November or December I will hopefully put together Not Being Blind, to raise money for the Fred Hollow foundation and the great work they do in regional Australia with indigenous communities that have huge rates of avoidable and easily treated vision problems and blindness.

YAY HELPING!

That is all above awesome and okay, everyone knows you're a ...

Surely you can youtube a poem in honour of moustaches?

You have a fine ass, btw.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of a humorless Kantian git when it comes to what I will personally qualify as true charity on my behalf, and as part of that I rarely ever broadcast what I'm doing and even actively try to keep anyone from ever knowing that I did it, except in the cases where really, genuinely, it means others might follow 'from example' (these instances are really actually depressingly rare). A program like Movember is something which is ultimately designed to appeal to self-image motives and social page updates and basically being able to hawk how awesome you are, and organizations truly in need will co-opt this in exchange for support. On account of these facts, they are ultimately going to be successful and productive things, and I'll support them, but not with my own individual participation. The 'individual participation' part is key — it means I'm not looking down my nose at those 'lesser' facebook charities or saying that I'm more charitabler than thou; things like movember are awesome and they are well tailored, psychologically, to making shit happen and getting people to care! It's just not what I'm going to do. I have a system.

Were I to write it, Sam's Entirely Joyless Guide to Grim, Categorical Charity would mostly be about how to isolate which organizations are the best suited towards devoting your available manhours or monetary donations. It would be a straightforward analysis of which organizations devote the least to overhead, have the lowest administrative expenses, and the greatest amount of accountability, transparency, and lack of political or special interest partiality that runs counter to purely charitable aims. One of the highlights of this is that when it comes to monetary donation, I currently support the Red Cross to the exclusion of all others, and actively oppose a number of other charities who help themselves to a much higher percentage of donations and who have higher ups who have fattened themselves scandalously on charitable donations (see: UNICEF) and oppose charities that have ulterior motives that supersede their commitment to giving (nearly all political charity groups, as well as most religious charity groups like Salvation Army, Catholic Charities USA, etc). Most noteworthy is that illegitimate charity organizations are so commonplace right now that it's good, solid advice never to give to charities that have called you — do research, and then find the legitimate ones, and go to them. Sure, you'll be out some feelgood tote bags and cop/firefighter solidarity stickers for your cars, but those aren't really charities. They're scummy businesses that prey on people's charitable aims.

When it comes to donating your time, put your boots on the ground in rescue missions, soup kitchens, and emergency metropolitan food bank distribution. It's grim shit, especially in the winter and during cold snaps, but that's ultimately when people are in the highest degree of need. It's not going to be fun, but that's not what it's about.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to refer to you as "that humorless Kantian git" from now on. By which I mean that I approve.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
When it comes to donating your time, put your boots on the ground in rescue missions, soup kitchens, and emergency metropolitan food bank distribution. It's grim shit, especially in the winter and during cold snaps, but that's ultimately when people are in the highest degree of need. It's not going to be fun, but that's not what it's about.

or create fun, non-guilt inducing events that raise money for thoroughly researched charities that you feel do good works with people in need? I also work in the community doing theatre with people with disabilities, young carers etc. etc. -- is that okay, or is it a waste of time using theatre to try and enrich the lives of marginalised people in the community. Please, I yearn to discover more in Sam's sadsack how to do charity workshop.

Jesus fucking Christ! It is possible to raise money for charities without unwittingly giving it all to corporations disguised as charities, and without being such a fucking sourpuss.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I don't think you're reading me all the way through here! That is SPECIFICALLY the entirely joyless grim categorical charity. it is not the only type of charity, I even make sure to point out that all the rest of the charity things that people do is awesome!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: It's not personal? Reply with quote

But Sam, with the Red Cross, you can't really sponsor a specific child for multiple years, and tell him what he should be when he grows up.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, think of the animals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLAB7wEfTo
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, sorry sammy, I jumped on you, in the least sexy sorority girl pillow fight way possible.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
But Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, think of the animals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLAB7wEfTo

Surprisingly enough, if you mute the volume of any of these guilt-tripping videos and simultaneously listen to something like "Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings", it suddenly becomes an inspiring story with a happy ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: