welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011-11-01: Haircut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17177
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
Its a big world out there. Not everyone is going to be infatuated with exactly the aame things you are. you should check it out sometime.


you realize this is the pot calling the kettle black, right?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratanx



Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 142

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonerific!
_________________
There is no rodeo in Joliet, no great waterhole in Downer's Grove -- The Jesus Lizard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratanx



Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 142

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:


....and in any event, as this thread shows, the new 'do seems to be inspiring lust. so yeah, not yet escaping the patriarchy.


You could never avoid this, no matter how you look. And inspiring lust is hardly sexist or a bad thing.
_________________
There is no rodeo in Joliet, no great waterhole in Downer's Grove -- The Jesus Lizard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 1846
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
It's OK to not like things, brah.


Oh, I was planning on linking that to him but you beat me to the punch. DANG.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tdemon



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 14
Location: At my computer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
If you have any actual criticism, please share. Otherwise stop whining about it just because you don't like the subject


this is supposed to be a comic but it isnt funny. again.

as for the specific subject matter of gender inequality, what does hair length have to do with anything? how does that right the wrongs of gender equality? if the 'evil' Tat is aiming at here is expectations of beauty for women, he might consider stopping his tendancy to draw women fitting into the stereotypical notion of beauty. its a little like cosmo telling women to empower themselves but they have an airbrushed picture of a size zero supermodel on the cover.


I never post on here, but gods above you are annoying as hell. I always lurk in the shadows and I have never once seen you post something productive. If you hate the comic so much, why are you here?

Sinfest is a comic. But comics are not always funny. Batman's current arc is pretty dark. How about Maus, ever read that? I don't think there was much funny in that and it won quite a few awards.

This is an arc. We haven't gone into detail about why or what significant her hair length is. It's like reading the first page of a chapter and instantly going, "What does this have to do with this?" You don't know, keep reading.
_________________
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
~Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Oneponytoruleall



Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3114

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
The next step in the radical revolution, something totally unheard of: Nique is going to burn her bra.

Ugh.


Nope.

Ace bandage boob strapdown. Maybe even have to bandage dat ass.


Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xtf



Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Posts: 169

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdemon wrote:
Sinfest is a comic. But comics are not always funny. Batman's current arc is pretty dark. How about Maus, ever read that? I don't think there was much funny in that and it won quite a few awards.


Check out Palestine... One of the best graphic novels out there - and one of the most depressing ones.

Anyway, Gregolama is whining because Sinfest is usually funny, while Maus was never meant to. But demanding that a comic strip that has been running for more than ten (10) years to be funny to everyone every single day, especially when it is clearly going through a storyline development period... Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xtf



Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Posts: 169

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
xtf wrote:

The idea that changing your hairstyle would change you is the exact opposite of what feminism is about.


this is kind of how i feel. she reacts to the knowledge that she is responding to molding by the patriarchy by becoming...a man? to me, feminism is being powerful as a woman, without having change into anything else. if you want to reject the molding of the patriarchy, then give up the pantyhose and high heels and obsessive fear of not looking perfect, because those are things you do to conform to the desires of others, not for yourself. inspire respect, not lust.



....and in any event, as this thread shows, the new 'do seems to be inspiring lust. so yeah, not yet escaping the patriarchy.


I like you. Smile

Rune wrote:
mouse wrote:
xtf wrote:

The idea that changing your hairstyle would change you is the exact opposite of what feminism is about.


this is kind of how i feel. she reacts to the knowledge that she is responding to molding by the patriarchy by becoming...a man? to me, feminism is being powerful as a woman, without having change into anything else. if you want to reject the molding of the patriarchy, then give up the pantyhose and high heels and obsessive fear of not looking perfect, because those are things you do to conform to the desires of others, not for yourself. inspire respect, not lust.



....and in any event, as this thread shows, the new 'do seems to be inspiring lust. so yeah, not yet escaping the patriarchy.


I'm mostly on board with this, but do want to point out that short hair is not necessarily mannish, nor is long necessarily feminine. I mean, you know, Vikings.

I also think that 'Nique is specifically reacting to her newfound guilt of being a "colluder" rather than striking a blow at the Patriarchy itself. She has benefited a lot from playing to traditionally patriarchal notions of female desirability. That's pretty realistic, some women do. As an individual with the "right assets," there is a lot to be gained from doing so -- relative to not doing so -- if you are operating within a prevalent system. Now, thanks to her pill trip, 'Nique is feeling guilty for doing so. The haircut is kind of a symbolic restitution, apology, turning away from all that. Ridding herself of, as she's feeling currently, an ill-used "feminine asset," without getting extreme. You know, like tossing the shoes. Wink

Yet.

Laughing


I like you as well. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregolama
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Gregolama wrote:
Its a big world out there. Not everyone is going to be infatuated with exactly the aame things you are. you should check it out sometime.


you realize this is the pot calling the kettle black, right?


If someone comments "love the new 'do", you wont see me explaining to them that they are wrong, that they need to wait and see, or that they should go find a hair-fetish forum.

If I comment that I've been reading sinfest for a year because I like it but that this whole "Patriarchy" thing is falling flat for me, some fanboy will be compelled to tell me how wrong I am.
Back to top
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1046

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtf wrote:
I like you as well. Smile


d'awwww, thanks Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oneponytoruleall



Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3114

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
xtf wrote:
I like you as well. Smile


d'awwww, thanks Very Happy


Get out of here, you hippies!



Go peddle your free love somewhere else.


Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 1985
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
It's OK to not like things, brah.
Oh, I was planning on linking that to him but you beat me to the punch. DANG.
But it's cool to hate, don't you guys know that?
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
xtf wrote:
I like you as well. Smile


d'awwww, thanks Very Happy



http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2669
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:


If I comment that I've been reading sinfest for a year because I like it but that this whole "Patriarchy" thing is falling flat for me, some fanboy will be compelled to tell me how wrong I am.


...if that were all you were saying... no. There's a difference between,
"I don't like this arc -- it's falling a bit flat for me. I don't like the issues that it's presenting and hope that the next arc is better."

and "ZOMG PREACHY FEMINIST BULLSHSHSHAKALALALALLALALA BULLSHAKALAKA \ TAT ACCIDENTALLY THE ENTIRE COMIC AND I WILL CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN"

MerchManDan wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
It's OK to not like things, brah.
Oh, I was planning on linking that to him but you beat me to the punch. DANG.
But it's cool to hate, don't you guys know that?


I hate everything.
I love everything.

I like stuff.
I don't like stuff.

But stuff is awesome.

Argh, whatever.


Last edited by Heretical Rants on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xtf



Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Posts: 169

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
Rune wrote:
xtf wrote:
I like you as well. :)


d'awwww, thanks :D


Get out of here, you hippies!



Go peddle your free love somewhere else.

I'm no hippie, I'm a punk ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group