welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Nov 2011 - Shift 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vőltsing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
But that only begs the question: Then where is the "patriarchy" we keep getting beaten into our heads? Crim???

Mostly, the only observable phenomenon on teh strip that is a result of the patriarchy shows up as female characters like Monique strutting around in bikinis sexing the sexy. Where does that come from? Tat himself.

Then suddenly he declares "the Patriarchy is terrible", and Monique starts wearing unsexy clothing. Well, who put her in a bikini in the first place? It's hard to read these strips without becoming painfully aware that the author is essentially criticizing his own behavior.

It would be like an author comes out with a book that has nothing but straight, white, male characters, and then just before the big finale, the narrator suddenly declares "Gosh, what a mono culture" and suddenly introduce minorities of various kinds. Its not that the world was mono-culture, its that's the way the author portrayed it until he realized what he was doing.

I think you are looking too deeply into it. I'm pretty sure Ishida just likes to make fun of everything. The "sisterhood" is just making fun of extreme feminism (ie. the marginal version of feminism that's an anti-male movement well beyond a civil rights fight for equality)
xtf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:
he's a prude and as far as that thread goes he is completely cluelesss about women.

He's had more luck with women than any other mortal male in Sinfest. Think on that.

But that only begs the question: Then where is the "patriarchy" we keep getting beaten into our heads? Crim???

Mostly, the only observable phenomenon on teh strip that is a result of the patriarchy shows up as female characters like Monique strutting around in bikinis sexing the sexy. Where does that come from? Tat himself.

Then suddenly he declares "the Patriarchy is terrible", and Monique starts wearing unsexy clothing. Well, who put her in a bikini in the first place? It's hard to read these strips without becoming painfully aware that the author is essentially criticizing his own behavior.

It would be like an author comes out with a book that has nothing but straight, white, male characters, and then just before the big finale, the narrator suddenly declares "Gosh, what a mono culture" and suddenly introduce minorities of various kinds. Its not that the world was mono-culture, its that's the way the author portrayed it until he realized what he was doing.

You are wronger than usual.
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
Gregolama wrote:
Most of the patriarchy strips have been duds, mostly because they're too busy trying to preach some sermon about the patriarchy that they don't actually tell much of a story and aren't funny.

Great, great story telling. Great, great emotional development of the characters.

And not a single syllable wasted preaching about the fricken patriarchy.
More this.

But it's not funny. Comics are supposed to be funny!

I mean, I've been reading this comic daily for more than a year now and love it and always get a good laugh... Until this whole patriarchy thread started. Just, augh, this is supposed to be a comic but it isnt funny. again.

Comics don't HAVE to be funny. They have to entertain - or at least intrigue us, make us curious about "what happens next". That's what sells comic books - a story "arc" that may even intertrwine with another story. To completely understand the story, you end up buying a LOT of comics.

Or, in this case, you keep coming back to see if Tat has returned to this story thread.
xtf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Cactuar is making fun of Gregolama.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, who wouldn't want to though? Lmao.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
Then where is the "patriarchy" we keep getting beaten into our heads?

who are the illuminati? or any of the other -inatis that have appeared?

the patriarchy is a faceless, spaceless, placeless uberconspiracy undetected by ordinary mortals. even if you did find the man on the grassy knoll, your quest for the man behind the curtain would just lead you to more curtains.

or maybe some nice vertical blinds. why do we never have the man behind the tasteful vertical blinds?

(and also since cactuar is directly quoting gregola, he is definitely making fun of him.)
Gregolama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vőltsing wrote:
I think you are looking too deeply into it. I'm pretty sure Ishida just likes to make fun of everything. The "sisterhood" is just making fun of extreme feminism (ie. the marginal version of feminism that's an anti-male movement well beyond a civil rights fight for equality)

well that just puts it back to the problem of not being funny.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try something.

Greg, when somebody types "Maybe this comic isn't actually supposed to be funny 100% of the time," what do you see?

Keep in mind, this is like a Rorshach test. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregolama wrote:
Vőltsing wrote:

OMG! Could it possibly be that "comics" doesn't actually mean humorous?
My tiny fragile worldview! I don't have enough king's horses or king's men to put it back together!
Ronald

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Gregolama wrote:
Vőltsing wrote:

OMG! Could it possibly be that "comics" doesn't actually mean humorous?
My tiny fragile worldview! I don't have enough king's horses or king's men to put it back together!

Well, here's some more horses for ya, anyway:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4023

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4030

As IMHO Strip 4030 demonstrates quite well, it's possible to be entertaining without necessarily being funny. Just seeing Monique and/or Pebbles can lighten my mood.

If, once we get back to the Li'l E's amnesia plot, it turns out that Seymour left without catching on that Li'l E has amnesia (because Seymour almost always sees less, it's like his trademark), maybe 'Nique will walk past and get involved.

Hopefully Pebbles will recognize 'Nique, the friend she made about an hour ago (in the strip's time), regardless of the new haircut. Wink
Arioch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
In panel 17 Blue is clearly reaching towards the picture with her left hand,

No, she does not. Look at panel right above - she has a usual pose of left "defending/holding" arm before the body and right "attacking/manipulating" arm having space to start sweeps behind her body. As she approaches the picture she is preparing a next strike, so she turns aside even more - she's just swinging for the throw.

Then she realizes the message and her strike gets aborted. Now her right hand is no more a weapon but a regular primary "manipulating" hand, so she use it to touch those dear letters.

-------------

OTOH what i can't get - why is that picture in Fyoosh'es room ? If she did it like a present - then it shoould be in Blue's room, as a present should be. Afterall there was no warrenty that Blue would be the 1st one to enter her room, thatwhe would enter there at all, that whe would manage to recognize that picture.

Yes, that is terrifically effective to show how broken was Blue, but... just not the place to be. There should be some picture that Blue presented to Fyoosh, not vice versa.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fucking necro batman
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA NECRO'D THREAD

OH, HEY. I rEMeMBer GREGOLAMA.

GREGOLAMA WAS WAAAAAAY COOLER THAN EMBER
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey oldbies? Who was it the fester that used to randomly necro threads? was it Icesniper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think BigBadWolf did that quite a bit, just to get the last word in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: