welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011-11-21 Rrr?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Notice that both Androids expressed genuine* interest in Slick and he could conceivably have gotten a date with either but apparently chose not to follow up.

As genuine as the booth girls' interest in the next poor soul they're trying to send in Hell.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtf wrote:
Quote:
Notice that both Androids expressed genuine* interest in Slick and he could conceivably have gotten a date with either but apparently chose not to follow up.

As genuine as the booth girls' interest in the next poor soul they're trying to send in Hell.

If they were programmed to feel it, then yes, they would indeed genuinely wholeheartedly feel it, I would think. Devil Girls obviously can't be "programmed" per se or the strip wouldn't have half the drama it's ended up having.

BTW, it occurs to me that unless Tat reads the threads where it's brought up, it's possible that he's forgotten Crim's "you weren't always a Devil Girl" remark and will never follow up on it. Hm.
xtf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason to think that they were programmed to be interested in him instead of acting as if they're interested in him?
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't expect my idle comments to prompt much interest, but:

xtf wrote:
Is there a reason to think that they were programmed to be interested in him instead of acting as if they're interested in him?

There's no reason to elevate either notion above the other, really -- it's just a pair of one-off gags, after all, unless Tat reads our comments, he probably hasn't thought of Devil Androids in years -- but an Android would be more effective if she truly believed she was motivated by her own emotions. An "act" can be seen through, genuineness cannot. It would heighten the drama and arguably make the Android a more sympathetic character. Is someone who's programmed to be in love with you really such a poor substitute for someone who's not in love with you at all?

Plus the inherent ethical dilemma could conceivably make the situation crueler. The Devil would like that.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to be sending Androids on flirtation missions any more, so either way, Slick's spent that nickel.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another vaguely related note, here are the strips which feature Devil Women who are not proven to work for The Devil:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3085

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3946

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3963

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3995

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4009
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to edit that post so that it says devil people, not women. Since some of the strips contain more than just women of the devil variety.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
You may want to edit that post so that it says devil people, not women. Since some of the strips contain more than just women of the devil variety.

Well, we were talking about Devil Girls/Women, so I only posted those strips because they do contain Devil Women. If a strip had only contained Devil Men and/or Devil Neuters, but no Devil Women, I wouldn't have posted it.

Actually, AFAIK there's only one strip that features (1) A Devil Person who is both (2) not confirmed to work for The Devil and (3) non-female, without Devil Women also being in the strip. And now I'm posting it. Smile

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3792

ADDENDUM
Oh, wait, there's also this one:
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3994
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES BUT RONALD WE ALL KNOW I'M OCD AND... AND... MEN AND NEUTERS THERE TOO AND... :((

wEHHHH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
lets assume that ALL devil people are amnesiac upon bomf. Fuchsia was amnesiac, Blue was amnesiac, Pebbles and pretty much every other devil girl we've seen regardless of whether or not they were giving names or not were all amnesiac, as well as those miscellaneous devil people we've seen running around due to D-man going nuts with his bomfing skills... that would leave Seymour the odd one out, wouldn't it?

Seymour seems to be a species of one and is thus by definition the odd one out.

Maybe that's part of why he's so devoted to church. He just wants to belong...
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011-11-21 Rrr? Reply with quote

To reiterate:
Ronald wrote:
(just playing around with this concept some more, no big deal)

Anyone else think that Woman #2 in this strip

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2494

looks a lot like "Soul Sistah" from this strip?
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2315

Another thing about Strip 2315 is that it allows some of the Muses/Nymphs/Androids/whichever to show a little personality, even if only as "Genre Muses." That's unusual.

Hm, "Emo B/tch" looks like just Crim's type...

If I had the time and knowhow, I'd put together a set of headshots from the many Not-Devil Girls appearances so that each redhead, bluehead, greenhead, and so on plus the black-and-white appearances could be more easily compared and contrasted to the others, for those few of us who find that sort of thing diverting. Alas, I have neither.
xtf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably the only one who actually cares about the identities of episodic characters who are obviously meant to be nothing more than episodic characters. I do, however, appreciate you digging up old comic strips ^^
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PREVIOUSLY:
Ronald wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
lets assume that ALL devil people are amnesiac upon bomf. Fuchsia was amnesiac, Blue was amnesiac, Pebbles and pretty much every other devil girl we've seen regardless of whether or not they were giving names or not were all amnesiac, as well as those miscellaneous devil people we've seen running around due to D-man going nuts with his bomfing skills... that would leave Seymour the odd one out, wouldn't it?

Seymour seems to be a species of one and is thus by definition the odd one out.
Maybe that's part of why he's so devoted to church. He just wants to belong...

Also, The Devil can probably control whether or not a BOMFee is rendered amnesiac, fine-tune the BOMF, if you will. If Seymour hadn't retained his memories/identity, he wouldn't have been significantly horrified by the consequences of annoying The Devil, which was probably the basic point of the exercise.

As another example of toning things up or down a notch, this BOMFee was obviously "programmed" to do more than merely growl like Pebbles:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2454
(hm, wonder how she did that with the flames in Panel 3; didn't seem to use a gesture or a word or anything like that)

Plus she has pupils in her eyes. Wink

Some have speculated that said BOMFee (seen in color in the subsequent strip, #2455, and de-BOMFed by Jesus) was literally an early version of Fuchsia (so she would've been re-BOMFed off-panel; the debut of the Devil Girl who is indisputably Fuchsia came three and a half months later). Since I'm of the "Devil Girls can be born or made" camp, that notion doesn't really do it for me, but I guess we can never know for sure until and unless Tat provides more data.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as we've seen, Fuchsia and Blue just hold out their hands and hellfire appears; it may be an innate power of devil girls or something. They've never had to go through any particular ritual.

Also, Ronald, notice that your example girl is talking to Crim. Maybe that's Crim's power, the ability to entice devil girls. Since he's on the other side he's using it as a force for good - but Crim doesn't need a harem, just Fuchsia.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyvern wrote:
As far as we've seen, Fuchsia and Blue just hold out their hands and hellfire appears

But she's not even doing that. No gesture of any sort. It's like she's just thinking "fire" and it appears behind her. Or like Tat was just going for an effect and wasn't concerned about its internal consistency. Whichever. Wink
xtf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to the actual strip but I thought I'd share that the girl in panel 4 looks quite a bit ike Glossie

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2633
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: