welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science blurb thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDuckofDoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT THEN WE ATE WOLVES AND RHINOCERI AND ELEPHANTS AND REALLY BIG BIG STUFF!
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
Dusty wrote:
welcome to the brand new sinfest forums. thats eboy over in the corner, he talks about stuff he reads that no one else could really give a shit about.

speak for yourself mister!

i know for a fact e-boy and i aren't the only science geeks here.

SciAm is the only magazine to which I currently subscribe.

smeat and I often have science-geek conversations that draw odd looks from the others in digital camouflage. Ask Phar - smeat knows a lot about shit.
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Uncle Taylorbell wrote:

The research team has also unearthed evidence of a large carnivorous bird dubbed the "demon duck of doom".

much as i would love to believe in giant carnivorous kangaroos and the like, this name leads me to believe our aussie cousins are having a bit of fun with you brits.

although there are carnivorous species of ducks - they eat fish and frogs and suchlike.

hmmm....i wonder......

It's an extinct species dear, and it really did exist. There were marsupial equivelants of most placental mammal predators in australia prior to the arrival of man.

On another oddball note there is evidence that a vegetarian crocodillian once lived in China.

The last large carnivore in australia was the Thylacain, or Tasmanian tiger. A marsupial so canine like that students of paleontology often mistakenly identify it as a canine.

Australia also had a member of the monitor lizards that was so large it made komodo dragons look teeny. This was a critter the aboriginies likely had to deal with.

The fossil record is loaded with nearly was's and almost ran's. One of the things that makes paleontology so fascinating.
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite weird animal from the past existed during the time before the whales returned to the water (if I remember correctly this is in the fifty million years ago time frame). It was a large predator (ENORMOUS), that looked a great deal like a wolf or a hyena, but was hooved.

There are still those who think of it as a possible whale ancestor, although current molecular evidence seems to disagree with this.
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay the critters I'm referring to are the mesonychids. Even toed carnivorous ungulates.
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd call them even toed carnivorous ugly-ates.

Oh, ungulates. Sorry.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.

Last edited by Agamemnon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the viscious knids
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really weird part is that those kooky cryptozoologists think some of these critters may still be hanging around.

Cryptozoology is one of those "Disciplines" that isn't generally taken seriously because for every methodical individual who goes into it with good science there are half a dozen kooks who also believe aliens visited earth and taught people to build shit and use fire.

In fairness though, there are individuals who treat it seriously and there are discoveries of previously unknown large animals to this day. I believe the last one was a cow sized herbivore somewhere in southeast asia. That discovery happened in the last decade, so you get some idea that there may be more out there.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:

It's an extinct species dear, and it really did exist. There were marsupial equivelants of most placental mammal predators in australia prior to the arrival of man.

yeah, yeah, i know, but "demon duck of doom"? (although it is now _clear_ that at least one exists). i mean - you don't think the name suggests they are having a bit of fun? and to have so many reported at once - another story also mentioned a tree-climbing crocodile....which, now that i think about it, would be even more frightening than a carnivorous duck.

i am periodically tempted by cryptozoology. i check out the shows on the discover channel about searches for the loch ness monster and champ and suchlike critters, and the mixture of people trying to do legitimate science and the serious loonies is always quite interesting. and i used to be in oceanography - in my student days, one of my professors showed us the photograph of the first mega-mouth sharks ever caught - at the time i saw it, ichthyologists weren't even sure whether or not it was a genuine species, or an animal that had been severely injured, or some sort of freak - it was just so different from any shark that had been seen. since then, there have been live ones caught and studied.

for all we think we know of the world, there's still a whole lot out there we don't even suspect.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, Bionic Arm anyone?
Irinei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better than he was before.

Better. Stronger. Faster.

It won't be long before they will be able to graft living tissue over bionic parts, virtually recreating lost limbs. They may even be better than the originals.

We may see the birth of true cyborgs within this century. Fascinating, yet frightening.
timmccloud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some science to bend your brain into little twisty bits:

"Want to break your brain? Click on this site, and then click 'imagining the ten dimensions'. If any physicists out there want to call bunk on this, feel free..."

Thanks to Aaron Williams of Nodwick.com for pointing this out.
Desire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that tenthdimension site was pretty cool. The demo was interesting, explains some of the concepts I've had for quite some time but never having taken physics or any science over Chemistry, I couldn't really explain it. I'm going to have to look into it more before it all really gels for me though I think. It's one of those things like almost remembering a name, it's on the tip of my brain but I can't quite make the connection I want.

That's the thing about science that has always frustrated and held me back. I enjoy it and find it fascinating but I can't seem to bend my brain the right way to make everything connect. I was like that with Algebra too, I'd always get the right answers but I couldn't explain HOW I got them. It's more an intuitive thought process or something. I can osten look at things and see the partterns or how they work or should go together but I usually fail totally at trying to explain how or sometimes even understanding how.

Drives me nuts sometimes. :\
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news a researcher at Wake forest university injecting a particularly viscious and agressive cancer (with a 100% fatality rate) into mice found one he couldn't kill. Thinking he'd made an error he injected the mouse with one million times the lethal dose and the little bastard still didn't die. What's more when he extracted the antibodies responsible and injected them into other mice it rendered them immune too.

further research revealed that some humans share this ability (ten to fifteen percent of the group sampled). It's possible, if difference between mouse and human physiology don't get in the way that we could have a very effective wide spectrum cure for cancer soon. At very least better treatment options.

The article I read this in is in the August issue of Discover magazine on page 14.
John Mytton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
In other news a researcher at Wake forest university injecting a particularly viscious and agressive cancer (with a 100% fatality rate) into mice found one he couldn't kill. Thinking he'd made an error he injected the mouse with one million times the lethal dose and the little bastard still didn't die. What's more when he extracted the antibodies responsible and injected them into other mice it rendered them immune too.

further research revealed that some humans share this ability (ten to fifteen percent of the group sampled). It's possible, if difference between mouse and human physiology don't get in the way that we could have a very effective wide spectrum cure for cancer soon. At very least better treatment options.

The article I read this in is in the August issue of Discover magazine on page 14.

We just need a bunch of 'volunteers'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: