welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wikipedia blackout in protest of SOPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two Senators are Republicans. My governor is a Republican. I really need to move the fuck out of here.

*edit* Non-USians can petition the State Department.
Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw the emailing senators mumbo jumbo, don't we all know too well what people do with spam? baleeted!

why can't we just go protest at these repub's offices? rally in sight?

i mean we need to tell people who aren't on the internet that this isn't a good idea. fight club style. ball cutting threatening gestures and such.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

lol. "Let the internet be purified!"
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten wrote:
screw the emailing senators mumbo jumbo, don't we all know too well what people do with spam? baleeted!

why can't we just go protest at these repub's offices? rally in sight?

i mean we need to tell people who aren't on the internet that this isn't a good idea. fight club style. ball cutting threatening gestures and such.

my state's senators are both women so i'm not sure they would feel threatened by ball cutting gestures.

as for my representative, well, the real estate tycoons already did that.
Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is 4chan when you need them :/

i should take that back.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those poor toe-headed orphans are being murdered by shoplifters! CONGRESS HAS TO STOP PIRACY!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocremix.org replaced their new releases infobox with info on SOPA/PIPA and embedded a video about gamer news and publishing groups boycotting E3 (run by the ESA, which is a SOPA supporter).

That Guy With The Glasses is blacked out and embeds their own video about the issue.
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going here because it's piracy related and involves the US enforcing its laws on foreigners who have never been to the US and never used US servers. link

Quote:
TVShack operator Richard O'Dweyer is set to face the US justice system, despite never having set foot in the country.

Earlier, we reported on the case of Richard O'Dwyer, the 23-year-old British student facing extradition to the US over his part in creating popular torrent site, TVShack. Last Friday, a judge in the UK ruled that there were no valid reasons why O'Dwyer shouldn't be sent to New York state for trial. O'Dwyer faces charges of copyright infringement and criminal infringement of copyright, both of which carry a five year maximum sentence. O'Dwyer intends to appeal to the verdict.

"There are said to be direct consequences of criminal activity by Richard O'Dwyer in the USA, albeit by him never leaving the north of England," said district judge Quentin Purdy. "Such a state of affairs does not demand a trial here if the competent UK authorities decline to act, and does, in my judgment, permit one in the USA."

O'Dwyer set up TVShack.net, which brought in as much as £15,000 per month in ad revenue during its peak, when he was 19. Like all torrent sites, TVShack didn't host any of the copyright infringing files directly. Instead, it acted as a search engine, providing links to torrent files from which users could download the material. Torrent sites are a legal gray area in the UK. As O'Dwyer's defense pointed out; the only UK prosecution of a similar site, TV-Links, was thrown out last year.

Many question whether O'Dwyer should face trial in the US, considering that he's never been to the states and TVShack didn't use US servers. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, however, maintains that any internet domain ending in .com or .net is fair game for US authorities as the company that provides those particular suffixes falls under US jurisdiction.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist, at least in the US.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as public opinion appears to be swaying Congress to some degree (how much is hard to say until we find out if the Senate has the votes to pass it or if the House will even vote on it). But it's not going away, it's just getting re-worked. Also, for those unfamiliar with how it works, I've added some bolding to the good parts.
Scientific American wrote:
The English version of Wikipedia may have gone black in a one-day protest, but SOPA isn’t going away. U.S. Representative Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and one of the sponsors of the House version of the Stop Online Piracy Act, announced January 17 that he expected the committee to restart work on SOPA in February. This follows the announcement over the weekend that the White House opposed the bill as it currently stands, and the subsequent concessions by its sponsors to remove one of the (particularly egregious and misguided) technical provisions.

What are the provisions of SOPA that remain, and what harm could they do? In short, SOPA—and its Senate cousin, the Protect-IP Act (PIPA)—would effectively give some companies the power to block other websites with only an accusation.

The law targets web sites registered outside the U.S., though its provisions affect many U.S. companies as well. It gives the courts power to force Internet service providers (ISPs) to block their customer’s access to any web site that has been accused of engaging in infringing activities. Courts can also force advertising networks, financial transaction providers (such as PayPal) and search engines to stop doing business with the infringing web site—in effect, to block it from the Internet. [Dogen: for customers in the US, obviously] (The Congressional Research Service has put together a very readable legal analysis [PDF] of an earlier version of the Senate bill.)

But the real power in the bill is not in the powers it gives the courts. Rather, the bill creates a system of incentives whereby the mere accusation of copyright infringement is enough to block a site entirely. The law gives immunity to ISPs, financial transaction providers and search engines who voluntarily block web sites accused of infringement. And if they don’t block those sites? Then they, too, may be held legally culpable for the infringing activity. The laws also contain no penalties or disincentives for copyright holders to avoid falsely accusing others of infringement.

It’s not too hard to imagine how this will work in practice: Large, litigious copyright holders such as the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America will issue floods of copyright violation accusations to everyone from Google to Fark. These middlemen can choose to investigate each claim and decide whether to comply with the blocking notice, but the lawyers upstairs will always recommend that when in doubt, block. The law would create a new class of gatekeepers who will effectively decide what can go online and what can not. It will coronate a corporate censor for the Internet.

Expect these ill-considered provisions to live on in the new SOPA and PIPA bills.

Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my co-worker and i were talking about sopa and pipa and she mentioned that it sounds like sopapillas.

now how can fluffy pastries dipped in honey be bad?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the internet is diabetic?

Edit: Wired has been blacked out as well.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Guest's edification.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Wikipedia and other websites choosing to discontinue their services to protest proposed legislation is "an abuse of power"?

absolutely! only the government should have the power to discontinue services! even if those are other people's services!

one rather wonders that congress doesn't get that forcing the shut-down of a business on the basis of an unproven allegation would be seen by some people as problematic. one fears that this is the result of all the anti-terrorism legislation - if you can execute someone without a trial, how bad can it be to (essentially) convict someone without proof?
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Sinfest Homepage is all occupied and whatnot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: