welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wikipedia blackout in protest of SOPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Dodd, chairman and chief lobbyist of the MPAA, went on fox news and said this!

Quote:
"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake,"
Yes! No embellishment! It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It's straightforward and overt. He is directly and publicly threatening politicians that oppose him by not being corrupt enough to stay bought.

Then, there was this:

Quote:
The NY Times has a fascinating, if ridiculous, interview with Chris Dodd about everything that happened regarding SOPA/PIPA. It starts off with the suggestion that the real problem here was that, due to Senate ethics rules, Dodd can't personally lobby Congress until 2013. You may recall that, before leaving the Senate, Chris Dodd promised that he would not become a lobbyist -- a promise he broke just a few months later in taking the top job at the MPAA. And make no mistake about it: Dodd's role is as a lobbyist. He is barred from personally lobbying Congress, but can lobby the White House, and is the main "strategist" behind the MPAA's PIPA/SOPA strategy trainwreck.

But the bigger issue in the article is that Dodd still doesn't seem to understand what happened....
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120119/21092917484/why-chris-dodd-failed-with-his-sopapipa-strategy.shtml

*goes off to dance in a very unsubtle political cartoon where every visual element is labeled 'lobbying,' 'bribery,' 'democracy for sale' 'this is money that is being used to buy elections and lawmaking, it is in a giant sack, a pig in a suit is holding it how can i make this a more blatant visual analogy' and 'citizens united'*
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The whole case is a sham. It's fucking bizarre.

Precedent indicates heavily to me that it is a mistake for me to try, but I have to tell you that you're pretty completely wrong on this one. Ignoring the wider issue of the unstoppable of piracy and the death rattle of old media business structures, this case is totally not a sham.

(1) Complaints about due process: non-starter. Due process is being followed with, well, all due process. This action is simply being done in accordance with law, with no breach of such, and is moving accordingly to the courts.

(2) Validity of the case against Megaupload: present in spades. Megaupload was incredibly dumb. They knew about the infringing content and considered it their business to host it, and were dumb enough to write this shit down in emails.

The main thing the indictment shows (and the reason Megaupload is screwed one way or another, honestly) is the wide selection of those internal communications and whatnot where they all pretty much hand the case to the feds and admit that they were trying to be a haven for piracy, specifically for profit. They measured — and discussed the measurement of — strategies to turn piracy into money as a business strategy. The case is well built on that. Doing this voids protection under the DMCA, company profits are effectively money laundering and they're all going to jail for a long long time. Keep in mind, I am mentioning the validity of the case. I don't want to have to run over this point again. The case is valid. This is enough evidence to go to trial over. It comes down to a well-warranted legal case involving proving the awareness of various agents.

I find myself lacking much sympathy. I mean, it takes like five minutes of research to know that there's nearly no way that Kim Dotcom isn't exactly as much the wanton criminal that the case portrays him as. He has spent his entire life bouncing from one criminal settlement to the next and is a wanton embezzler, to boot.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120119/21092917484/why-chris-dodd-failed-with-his-sopapipa-strategy.shtml

I read part of that as "sopapilla"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit where credit is due.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whole bunch of file locker sites are starting to delete accounts, remove files, block US users from their sites entirely...

the resulting panic among anime fans has been entertaining to watch, though
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you acquire all your Gundam through licit channels, right?
E-boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent influence the online crowd has had regarding SOPA/PIPA has really warmed my heart.

It's a bit sad, but anything that makes congress and the senate squirm that much, as they try very hard to contort themselves in such a way as to avoid looking like greedy scumbags whilst keeping their money supply safe, makes me warm all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOP was smart to turn their backs on it, but I don't think it'll buy them enough votes from the target audience of technically-savvy young people to overlook their horrible platform issues on women's health, civil rights, and social safety nets.
And I must once again express my extreme disappointment in Franken. After championing net neutrality so forcefully and carefully, he has the gall to fall in line with his Hollywood connections and support legislation that would be almost as destructive to the free and open internet.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Chris Dodd, chairman and chief lobbyist of the MPAA, went on fox news and said this!

Quote:
"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake,"
Yes! No embellishment! It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It's straightforward and overt. He is directly and publicly threatening politicians that oppose him by not being corrupt enough to stay bought.

Quote:
Petition: investigate Chris Dodd for fraud

A petition to the White House asks for an official investigation of former senator and now-MPAA CEO Chris Dodd, who strongly implied that he believes his members' contributions to election campaigns are bribes.

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/23/petition-investigate-chris-do.html

Seems a good idea...
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because White House Petitions Are Always A Great Idea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Teehee!
http://twitter.com/#!/Encarta95/status/159526112563695616

*still has the disc for Encarta 96 that came bundled with the family's first real computer*

*edit* More MegaUpload info about jurisdiction.

Hey Wheels, I can get you an .iso of encarta 95 if you want.

The theme song was much better than the one in encarta 96.

I could even upload it to a major upload site.

That wouldn't be illegal, would it?
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hihihihihihi
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, I was wondering, "Hey, whatever happened to that petition to investigate Dodd saying that politicians should damn well stay bought-and-paid-for? I know it reached the threshhold for response in record time..."

Turns out the White House refused to comment, on the grounds it "called for specific law enforcement action."

I'm a little disappointed I haven't seen a new petition with any significant support with the language changed to "what is the WH's opinion on Dodd's statement," or similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: