welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leave the stingrays alone!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosie Bee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Of course, your chances aren't very good and the whole discussion is ridiculous since someone who's just been stabbed in the heart by a stingray is unlikely to way up the options in the same way as a bunch of nerds conducting a debate on the internet.

That's what I said! But everyone ignored me...

*sob
kame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
if by "set the table liberally" you mean "put the salad forks upright in the middle of the seat cushions and sat honking clowns on the plates"

then, yes.

Yeah, that was pretty much it.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: because i can't let sleeping dogs lie... Reply with quote

just caught this in yesterday's science section:

Quote:
September 19, 2006
Really?
The Claim: Never Remove a Barb From a Stingray Injury
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR

THE FACTS The death of Steve Irwin, the famed “crocodile hunter,” this month came as a shock to his legions of fans. But for some, it also raised a question: What to do if attacked by a stingray?

In general, attacks by venomous stingrays are rare and usually occur when a person accidentally steps on one in shallow water. Most nonfatal injuries are to the legs or feet, and doctors recommend washing the wound in hot water to destroy any venom and to relieve pain. Then, seek medical help.

But an attack in which a stingray’s barb not only pierces the heart but becomes detached — as was the case with Mr. Irwin, who reportedly removed the barb — is even more unusual, said Christopher Lowe, a stingray expert at California State University, Long Beach.

In that case, the potential for complications is so great that only a doctor should attempt removal. Because barbs are serrated, they tear at flesh when removed, and it’s unlikely that pulling them out will lower exposure to any venom. Sharp objects can also act as plugs that stem excessive bleeding until help arrives, said Dr. Adam E. Saltman, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn.

Only two cases of people surviving cardiac stingray injuries are known; both were described in a 2001 report in the Medical Journal of Australia. An adult swimmer was struck in his right coronary artery. He was operated on quickly. In the other case, a fisherman had a barb removed from his right ventricle.

THE BOTTOM LINE If embedded, a stingray barb should be removed by a doctor.

it also has a link to the medical article about the two guys who survived stingray barbs to the heart.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...a thought just occurred, I wonder if the venom acts in such a way that it doesn't cause irreparable but merely just stops the cardio vascular system. What I'm saying is, if he had received an equivalent does of the neurotoxin and had his heart not received damage, would they have been able to revive him? I'm guessing it would depend on the rate of decay of the venom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dazedb42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: because i can't let sleeping dogs lie... Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
just caught this in yesterday's science section:

Quote:
September 19, 2006
Really?
The Claim: Never Remove a Barb From a Stingray Injury
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR

THE FACTS The death of Steve Irwin, the famed “crocodile hunter,” this month came as a shock to his legions of fans. But for some, it also raised a question: What to do if attacked by a stingray?

In general, attacks by venomous stingrays are rare and usually occur when a person accidentally steps on one in shallow water. Most nonfatal injuries are to the legs or feet, and doctors recommend washing the wound in hot water to destroy any venom and to relieve pain. Then, seek medical help.

But an attack in which a stingray’s barb not only pierces the heart but becomes detached — as was the case with Mr. Irwin, who reportedly removed the barb — is even more unusual, said Christopher Lowe, a stingray expert at California State University, Long Beach.

In that case, the potential for complications is so great that only a doctor should attempt removal. Because barbs are serrated, they tear at flesh when removed, and it’s unlikely that pulling them out will lower exposure to any venom. Sharp objects can also act as plugs that stem excessive bleeding until help arrives, said Dr. Adam E. Saltman, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn.

Only two cases of people surviving cardiac stingray injuries are known; both were described in a 2001 report in the Medical Journal of Australia. An adult swimmer was struck in his right coronary artery. He was operated on quickly. In the other case, a fisherman had a barb removed from his right ventricle.

THE BOTTOM LINE If embedded, a stingray barb should be removed by a doctor.

it also has a link to the medical article about the two guys who survived stingray barbs to the heart.

<3 <3 <3 Mouse..... I thought it was obvious to leave it in there, maybe I have done way to many first aid courses in the last 34 years.

Did anyone see Steve-O's memorial service? His daughter Bindi stole the show and even I had a tear in my eye.

Part of her obit here.

Quote:
Bindi did not skip a beat. "My daddy was my hero, he was always there for me when I needed him," she said.

"He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all he was fun. I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did."

The cameras and a few thousand moistening eyes in the Crocoseum panned to where Irwin's widow and soulmate, Terri, sat with their toddler son, Bob. Terri, whose entrance had brought the crowd to their feet, gave an almost imperceptible nod.

If Bindi could keep her emotions in check, then, perhaps, her mum might too. But behind dark sunglasses, Terri's eyes welled with tears.

Terri could not take the stage to speak, though she will talk to Barbara Walters when the grand dame of US TV interviews her in Brisbane. But Bindi, who has grown up surrounded by wildlife, celebrities and cameras, brightened in the Crocoseum.

"We filmed together, caught crocodiles together and loved being together. I have the best daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day," she said. "When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

"Daddy made this place his whole life. Now it's our turn to help Daddy."

mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: because i can't let sleeping dogs lie... Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
<3 <3 <3 Mouse..... I thought it was obvious to leave it in there, maybe I have done way to many first aid courses in the last 34 years.

well, i thought so too (which is why i was so happy to find the article Very Happy ) - but then, i've done a few first aid courses myself.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
damn...a thought just occurred, I wonder if the venom acts in such a way that it doesn't cause irreparable but merely just stops the cardio vascular system. What I'm saying is, if he had received an equivalent does of the neurotoxin and had his heart not received damage, would they have been able to revive him? I'm guessing it would depend on the rate of decay of the venom.

really, stingray venom is not all that strong - and certainly not that quick-acting. dozens, if not hundreds, of people get hit by stingrays every year, usually in the feet or legs. it causes a lot of pain and some swelling, but all those people don't just keel over dead. the lifeguard treats it with some hot water, and they go home. the immediate problem here was the physical damage to the heart (or in the vicinity of the heart - we still don't know exactly where it hit). and as the article demonstrated, even people hit in the heart can survive with treatment.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: This has gone too far -- Even for Aussies Reply with quote

Quote:

A STEVE Irwin fan will feed his baby's placenta to goannas to bring his son closer to the reptile world.

Wil Kemp, a reptile keeper at Rockhampton Zoo, in central Queensland, and his fiancee Kahila Pepper, named their son Tai, who was born prematurely on September 5, after the taipan.

His 18-month-old brother Ramsay was named after the Woma python (aspidites ramsayi).

As news of the Crocodile Hunter's death reached Mr Kemp and his fiancee, they gave Tai the middle name of Irwin after their wildlife hero.

And now they say they will feed Tai's placenta to their three pet goannas, which live in pits in the family's backyard bordering the zoo, following a family gathering on Sunday.

"I think we'll just break some beers, chuck it in and do it," Mr Kemp, 21, said.

The couple came up with the idea after nurses told them they could take the placenta home if they wished, as many couples liked to give it a spiritual burial, or even eat it.

"Me and Kahila got talking and thought 'well if they can eat it and plant it underneath trees, why can't we feed it to a reptile, and literally bring us closer to them'?" Mr Kemp said. "I want him (Tai) to get into reptiles, I want both (sons)... to.

"So I thought maybe if I feed his placenta to a reptile it might bring him a little bit closer to them, I'm not sure, maybe not, it can't hurt."

Mr Kemp, who credits Steve Irwin as being a shaping force in his life, said he would be showing Irwin's DVDs to his sons and would be thrilled if they followed in Irwin's footsteps.

He said Ramsay already loved helping his dad at the zoo.

Fucking Trippers... that is all. Confused
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
feed Tai's placenta to their three pet goannas

how did that disturb you more than

Quote:
they could take the placenta home if they wished, as many couples liked to give it a spiritual burial, or even eat it.

somehow 3 pet goannas eating a placenta dont weird me out as much as 2 PEOPLE eating it...
dazedb42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand some couples (mainly the woman) eating the placenta as it is a great source of iron etc, but feeding it to your pet goannas....

"Hey Hon, watcha gunna do with ya placenta?"

"I dunno, should we feed it to the goannas so the kid will have a spiritual link with reptiles?"

"I dunno Hon, pack us another cone will ya?"

The thing that mainly irked me was the blatant attempt to cash in on the death of Steve-O. If you want to eat your placenta go for gold but to tell everyone you are going to feed it to your pets to give the child a spiritual link with reptiles and calling the media to boot. Fucktards.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....i should think it would give the goannas a taste for the kid............
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Simple answer: feed them mechanical alarm clocks. It kept Captain Hook alive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Desire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along those lines too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: