welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why yes, it is like that.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Why yes, it is like that. Reply with quote

So it's been a meager while, except for a few weeks ago when I popped it, and I'm so far out of the loop that it's not funny. In fact, I only come here today to whore myself out. As many of you know, I was something of an aspiring writer, and have been working on a novel to self-publish for....well for-goddamn-ever. It's nearing completion and I've set up a FB page for my hopeful career (side-job, lets be honest). I'm like a highlander, wandering the internet to all my old haunts and posting this link:

http://www.facebook.com/GilesAAnderson

to all who are interested. I'm not like a highlander in that A) not Scottish (okay, I am, but it's a small part...clan Cameron if you wanted to know), and B) not a sword-wielding immortal like those famous ones. I do have a fork though, as I was just eating lunch.

ANYWAY...I'll set up camp here for a while, answer some questions, and move on when interest fades (assuming it ever actually develops, I'm not so arrogant ~anymore~ as to expect it).

thanks for your time!
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who the fuck
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...me the fuck?
Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off- self promotion has never really worked here on Sinfest.. but, you know, good luck with that.

Second - your Facebook page gives no real information. If you're actually trying to promote yourself, write more than 1 sentence explaining what the page is, why it exists, and a synopsis of your apparent novel. If you're calling yourself a writer... well then, WRITE.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... you came back to this "old haunt" to tell us about a book you're self-publishing and give us a link to your Facebook page... not the book, so you can get fanboys/girls in advance?

And made this a separate thread on top of all that?

I'm very confused by this.. Sad

This is very top quality I have to say...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, now we know mindflame's real name! So, "Andy," all this time you're really been Giles? What else have you been hiding?
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonofabitch, yes, that's the real name. cursed with it since birth!

and I'm not trying to drum up a fan base by any stretch of the imagination. It's more of a "people i used to know are here, some of them may have been wondering what I've been up to (just as i wonder about some of them) as I'm a ghost now. while I don't have much information to give them at the time, this is a page that will--in the future--have such information and if they choose to take interest in it then excellent! it saves us all the time of hunting each other down and/or finding out about it years after things happen. but oh wait, there are people that won't know me at this website, should I take them into consideration too? No, not really."

so, what we can take away form this, is that if i have no idea who you are then I probably don't give a shit it you hear about my project this way...I'm content with you discovering it "the usual" way (word of mouth or whatnot) or not even at all because it's a big world and not everyone will find out about it. No ill-intent intended, I just honestly have no desire to make friends/play nice/suck up to anyone just so someone will click a fucking "like" button.

I think my first post was a much more pleasant way to say all that, but anyway there it is, in the interest of full disclosure. Very Happy
Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, two things.

1.) First rule of PR. Don't say anything 'til you're ready to say something. You're not going to get a bunch of Likes on a page that doesn't tell you anything. Like I said, put some friggin content on there first and then maybe people will be interested.

2.) This. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/facebook_likes
(PS- You're being the first three pictures. Just saying.)

mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I am! And shamelessly too, I might add. It's not about volume of likes though, it's about the one or two that might occur, emphasis on the "might". And not really for the "like" aspect, but for the "I would like future information about this" aspect. I'm not the biggest fan of social media, I don't run around liking everything that tickles my dick and I don't expect people to do the same for a page with zero info (since it only got created on a whim yesterday). However, I do believe in following something you think has potential and if no one thinks that it does, then no one thinks that it does. I'm okay with that, not out to prove myself to anyone or anything like that.

seriously though, I prefer doing it this way rather than waiting until its ready and then begging people to buy it. If they think they'll want it, or want more info as it happens, and are willing to keep it in the back of their mind then that link was for them. if they need a product now now now and/or don't know much about it...well if they find it later they find it later.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok let me explain it more simply...

That's nice. I looked at your facebook page. I HAVE NO GODDAMN IDEA WHAT YOUR BOOK IS ABOUT.. BUT HEY THERE'S A CREEPY LOOKING PLASTIC TOY SITTING ON A SHELF. THAT'S COOL. LOLZ.

Just put a fuckin' synopsis up or something. </breath>
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent idea! maybe soon. and actually the toy is sitting on a 100yr old dictionary. had to crop the picture so you can't actually tell.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be wise to listen to this unicorn, mf. She has professional experience in the arcane arts of public relations. Possibly some unicorn college in it too.
Personally I always do what the unicorns tell me to. And I've never got caught!
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I plan on it, it's just a work-in-progress right now.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this dude post on the forum in the past or what? which one was he? when i read 'mindflame', i feel... a vague sense of disgust
mindflame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, like a decade+ ago. and that disgust was probably justified. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: