welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the..? When you graduate, son, I'll be a young 80...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: What the..? When you graduate, son, I'll be a young 80... Reply with quote

British Woman Gives Birth at Age 62
Monday, July 10, 2006
Associated Press

LONDON A 62-year-old child psychologist has given birth to a boy, becoming the oldest British woman to have a baby.

Patti Farrant known professionally as Patricia Rashbrook delivered her son, J.J., by Caesarean section on Wednesday, according to The Daily Mail newspaper. The baby was conceived after fertility treatments.

Farrant has three grown children from a previous marriage. It is the first child for her husband, John, 60, an education management consultant.

"He is adorable, and seeing him for the first time was beyond words," she told the newspaper. "Having been through so much to have him, we are overjoyed. His birth was absolutely wonderful and deeply moving for both of us."

Other older British mothers include Liz Buttle, from Wales, who was 60 when she gave birth to a son in 1997.

The oldest woman in the world to give birth is believed to be Romanian Adriana Iliescu, who was 66 when she had a daughter in Bucharest in January 2005.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I feel for the kid, honestly. I mean, my dad was already 45 when I was born and I'm freaking out at 23 about him being almost 70. Is it just me or is giving birth at that age really selfish?
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way. I'm 24 and my dad is 67. He's also 15 years older than my mom. It's never any fun having a parent who could almost be your grandparent, especially when the world has changed so much and he hasn't kept up with it.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natashabi wrote:
It's never any fun having a parent who could almost be your grandparent, especially when the world has changed so much and he hasn't kept up with it.

This is a reasonable opinion.

Atrophy Annie wrote:
I mean, my dad was already 45 when I was born and I'm freaking out at 23 about him being almost 70. Is it just me or is giving birth at that age really selfish?

This is just horribly stupid.
Daugaard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaborate please.
maniac_wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
*sigh* I feel for the kid, honestly. I mean, my dad was already 45 when I was born and I'm freaking out at 23 about him being almost 70. Is it just me or is giving birth at that age really selfish?

Bringing new life into the world!?

That self-serving bitch!

Actually I've never been a fan of babies, I can't say that looking after one full time until I'm 80 would be a very appealing prospect.
DarkSouled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing that comes to my mind by talking about babys in general is: www.vhemt.org

For the Topic of this Thread all i have to say is:
It might be okay for the Parents and for their chuild, but normally it just won't work all that good. Would my parents be about 7o right now i wouldn't feel all that comfortable. I think it's just no good idea to have children at ages up from 50 but well who wants to judge anyone that wants a chuld anyway?
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On September 12, 2003, Letterman announced that his long-time girlfriend and ex-colleague Regina Lasko [4] was six months pregnant with his child. His son Harry Joseph Letterman, named after David's late father, was born on November 3, 2003. Letterman was about to tape a show when the news came and thus Shaffer was forced to step in as guest host for the broadcast.

David Michael Letterman (born April 12, 1947)=56 at birth, 74 at graduation.

From Wiki.

At least he's a famous TV celebrity who actually understands pop culture to an extent.
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good friend (we graduated together) who was adopted. His adopted parents are about the same age as my grandparents. It is a unique situation, and I do find it admirable that people want to bring life into the world and take care of it.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have and take care of kids at such advanced ages, but I don't think it's really a good idea. I have no idea what condition these people are in. Perhaps they are more fit than I am and can keep up with the schedule of an infant (and toddler in a couple years.) (And a teenager.)

I know what you are trying to say, Patty, and I don't completely disagree with you.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daugaard wrote:
Elaborate please.

He thinks it's stupid because I said it. Rolling Eyes
DarkSouled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he always that nice?
Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit like this is nasty dirty.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems selfish to me too, Patty. Not to mention why have a kid that late? If you really want one, adopt damnit! Hell, the chance for birth defects goes up after 30!
Lemontree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any kids personally.. but I have three neices and a nephew, and countless friends that have had children. Kinda like Ags said.. I have no clue how people at the age of 60 would have the energy for the 3am breast feedings and everything else that goes into that.

And Annie, I get you. As a child, parents are there to protect and nurture you.. or at least they're supposed to be. To bring a child into the world and juggle the caregiving to them, while juggling your own failing health from age... Its just scary to think that you'd have parents die at the age of 10 from old age. People can die anytime anywhere... kids are orphaned all the time... but part of wanting to be a parent is wanting to see your child grow up healthy and happy.. and hopefully see them someday married, and see your grandkids and such. Having them at 60.. its POSSIBLE for that to happen, but not very likely.

And yeah, I'm 23 as well, both of my parents are in their 50's.. and its already worrying me the way I'm noticing them slow down and start to have more frequent health problems. *shrug*
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part about being a grandparent in one's fifties or older is that you get to hand the kid off at the end of the day. You get to spoil them without repercussions; feed them sugar at 7:00 pm (true story!)

My wife's parents love to take care of our toddler, as long as it's short term. Very Happy

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: