Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the..? When you graduate, son, I'll be a young 80...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
And yeah, I'm 23 as well, both of my parents are in their 50's.. and its already worrying me the way I'm noticing them slow down and start to have more frequent health problems. *shrug*

Isn't that about average, though?

If you don't consider all of the teenage pregnancies, your parents were between 27 and 36 when they had you. That's doesn't seem particularly old at all.
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a general observation of the condition of people in their 50s, not so much a regret on the age they had Lemontree.

Is that right?

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natashabi wrote:
Lemontree wrote:
And yeah, I'm 23 as well, both of my parents are in their 50's.. and its already worrying me the way I'm noticing them slow down and start to have more frequent health problems. *shrug*

Isn't that about average, though?

If you don't consider all of the teenage pregnancies, your parents were between 27 and 36 when they had you. That's doesn't seem particularly old at all.

Its not very old at all. Sorry I think that line came out wrong. I wasn't trying to make a similiarity about my parents being some crazy age when they had me... just that its a difficult thing to accept.. parent's getting older, showing signs of slowing down. I'm worried about how long I'll have them around.

I'd just hate to be 6 or so worrying about these same things. And as a parent, I wouldn't want my child worrying about putting me in an assisted living community when they're only 18.

Having kids as 60, is just putting a big burden on them right away. One they might not realize until they're older.. but still.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Yeah, I agree with you completely on that. I couldn't imagine having to go through dealing with funerals and wills and all that crap. Especially the posibility that parents aren't going to be around to do all of those things that society tells us is important.

For me, I sometimes worry if my dad will be around for my wedding and if not, who is going to give me away (upon consideration, I'd probably rather it was my mom but that's not the point).

There are so many important things in a child's life and having older parents could diminish their ability to truly give a child everything they need.

I also agree with the adopting thing. There are too many kids who already need a good home.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm walking down the aisle alone damnit. That is assuming I ever have a ceremony. I am not a thing to be given away. ::fumes::

Back on topic: My mom had me when she was 26. I am the oldest of three, the youngest of which is going to be 13 in Sept. My bro, the youngest, was a surprise but it still wasn't that late in life for my parents. My mom wished she had started earlier but I think 26 is a great age. Course that also scares me because that is only four years away. Eeek!

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should thing it would be really exhausting to try to keep up with a kid when you are in your 60s...although i suppose they could have full-time help, or something.

but your parents are such a huge part of your life when you are young, and are so important in shaping who you are. it seems a bit unfair to put them at risk of losing a parent when they are an age to need one so much. granted, it happens all the time - but if you have kids at 60+, it seems like you are almost guaranteeing it.
maniac_wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

but your parents are such a huge part of your life when you are young, and are so important in shaping who you are. it seems a bit unfair to put them at risk of losing a parent when they are an age to need one so much. granted, it happens all the time - but if you have kids at 60+, it seems like you are almost guaranteeing it.

Good point. I don't think 60 is old enough to call certain death. But the parents will definately be out of the picture sooner.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody respected senior child psychologist mother-of-three perfectly good and lovely other children! What would she know about raising a baby? If you ask me, she's selfishly wasting sperm that could have gone toward impregnating a delinquent pre-teen run-away girl, like nature intended!

I, too, think the 'ooh wah, she's too old' stuff is bollocks.

1. Her age is not the issue - she is in perfectly good health, by all accounts. This is more than can be said for lots of parents.

2. Her ability to raise a responsible and civil child is undeniable.

3. Her ability to support a child financially is, again, beyond doubt.

4. The issue of having enough 'energy' to raise a child is related to point '1'. Many people in their sixties are able to lead fulfilling and exciting lives without recourse to zimmer frames, amazingly. This goes equally to people in their seventies and eighties, provided they've looked after themselves a bit, which the subject seems to have.

5. She's due to retire soon, so she'll be able to spend more time with her child than most parents can, or are willing to.

6. Why should someone willing and able to bare a child (almost) naturally have to adopt? There are couples all about the place waiting to adopt, and unable to. Why add to the short list unnecessarily?

Really, people. Stop vomming on yourselves. A load of ageist claptrap.
Amon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family's pretty young. My great grandparents are still alive. Well, on my mom's side.
maniac_wolfman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said. I'm no fan of babies. In my opinion people should just stop having them, regardless of age.

I fail to see what the attraction is. Let's decrease the surplus population already.

Twisted Evil
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say that there are some people who have a moral objection to fertility treatments. That may start an offshoot but it did need to be pointed out as to why some people would have a problem with the lady having a kid.

And the idea that she is an unfit parent came from her age, not her status or capability (it does sound like she is well qualified in both). The problem is that the average life span in America is only 77.85 (Britian - 78.54. Here is the rest.). That means that the kid would be 15 if she hit the average. Let's take into account that she has probably lead a healthy life. Add ten years and the kid is only 25. That is at least an acceptable age for a person's parents to die, if there is such a thing, but the idea that my parents would die within the next three years is upsetting to me. I will just be getting out of college. I shouldn't expect my parents to start dying off for another fifteen years at least. You can't take age out of the equation.

Age does present problems with the adoption idea but I think that goes back to the moral objects to fertility treatments in the first place.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkSouled wrote:
Is he always that nice?

With Feit, that is him being nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unca Taworbew!! Pweeze don be mad at us!!

I do agree with everything you say, TB. This lady may well be completely fit and may well be able to live on through her eighties being physically and mentally competent. If she does, she will be the very definition of the exception to the rule. I am concerned, however, as I would be for anybody who wanted to bring in a baby at such an advanced age, that the odds are very much against it. I guess that when we talk about children in general, I don't like taking such risks. I hope the best for her.

Desire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys think it would be better for her to just have aborted the baby?

Or maybe anyone over (what arbitrary age are we cutting off possible parenthood at here?) a certain age should just be fucking sterilized.

I didn't read whether the 60 year old in the article planned to get pregnant or it just happened.
I think in many cases of women that old getting pregnant, it's not planned. It's something of a minor miracle to be able to even conceive let alone carry a healthy baby to term at that age.

Age is not the most important aspect when talking about becoming a parent. Love and ability are.
I'd rather see a child with 60 year old parents who love it and can take care of it and actually spend time with it and off more guidance then a 20 year old who's still in their selfish phase and is more worried about their own needs then their child's. But hey, they have a lot more energy to chase after the kids and maybe play ball with them, you know, if they can tear themselves away from their busy schedules.

More and more women are having children in their late 30s-and 40s then ever before (after having established themselves better financially and emotionally). I recently read that the new average age for women to give birth for the first time is low-mid 30s.
I guess we should start feeling sorry for all these kids.

Really, people, as long as you have parents who love you and do their best for you, you are ahead of the game. Way ahead.
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...nature generally takes care of sterilization. That silly thing called Menopause...

I don't think that anybody was advocating abortion.

The Article wrote:
The baby was conceived after fertility treatments.

It wasn't an accident. It took much planning (as perhaps every case of pregnancy after the age of 60.) That's the part that I myself question.

[edit] Additionally, I think there was support for those who have had kids through their thirties.

Last edited by Agamemnon on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: