welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 290, 291, 292  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways, as long as we're talking about victims and sandbagging and whatnot...

http://ami-rants.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-privileged-dont-need-internet-death.html

Quote:
I'm not the one who needs to disclaim rape right now, or murder. Akin is. Because he's the one who said those things, he's the one who believes those things, he's the one who is trying to get into a position to make policy BASED on what he believes. He's the one that's a threat to real actual people's lives, happiness and autonomy. He's the one who's playing into the fucked up narrative in our society that we should disbelieve rape survivors, that we should question every rape survivor until they break down and then question them some more, because we know they may have asked for it, may have dressed a certain way, may be married to their rapist. He's the one who thinks there are "illegitimate" rapes. He's the one who believes in fantasy fairy tales where the body "shuts that stuff down" to prevent pregnancy during rape. And he's the one who wants to enforce LAW based on that FAIRY TALE. Law that harms people. Law that THREATENS people.

He's the one who should be on his hands and knees disclaiming rape. Not us.

And that's the thing. Privileged people. Powerful people. They don't need to threaten us directly with rape. They don't need to say "I hope you die in a fire." They can smile, they can wave. They can speak calmly. They can seem like the person you'd like to have a coffee with. And all they while, they're men passing laws against abortion, they're cis women keeping trans women out of shelters, they're cis people writing letters from their privileged positions (whether professional or social) to other privileged people asking them to rescind or deny rights to trans people. They're smiling on their talk shows while talking about the "holocaust" of abortion, knowing full well anybody who truly believes them will see the only logical next step. They're calmly drinking their coffee and writing a column about how there's a secret Muslim invasion of the West.

These people don't need to make death threats. The things they say, the things they advocate for, the voice they have to get people to listen to those things, what they do... those things are threats in themselves. And they have WAY more of a chance to actually have those threats happen. Because real people will be without shelter when they desperately need it, rape survivors will be without support, pregnant people without an ability to control their own bodies, Muslim people targeted for violence, abortion doctors targeted for death.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Agh Him, I've been at work this whole time you've been posting podcasts and I really really want to listen to them but work has also been kinds of heinous so I'm not sure I can handle getting upset about stuff.

Conundrums.

Also my coworkers are talking about how they want to give up the right to vote to become at home moms and I honestly cannot tell you how angry they are making me. I have my headset on and I'm just ignoring them because if I don't I might get myself fired.

Well, then don't bother with the one with Joe Rogan in it because, god, that one is rage enducing. But the last one I posted is very well worth listening to, because you get the discussion sans Rogans constant shouting down and bullshit.

This is also the best article I've read in quite some time: http://www.penny-red.com/post/29989130545/its-trigger-warning-week
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a hard call, but I think this is my favourite line:

Guest wrote:
They also don't suffer a mental deficiency from imaginary glass shards to the brain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Erm. Fuck it. You can have it. Go ahead, be mindless drones. I don't care anymore.

Jesus fucking christ.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Him

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
... Erm. Fuck it. You can have it. Go ahead, be mindless drones. I don't care anymore.

Jesus fucking christ.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...ehehhe. yeah.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Him, this is why we can't have nice things.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you though, that was almost "Giddy" worthy.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or at least "Socrates was a Christian"-worthy
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO GUEST PLEASE CONTINUE TO HELP US EXPAND OUR MINDS AND NOT BE DRONES WHICH IS WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO DO?
Him

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Dammit Him, this is why we can't have nice things.
Must be my mental deficiency from imaginary glass shards to the brain acting up again.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you numpty
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

The problem is the people that have all these opinions on other people but forgotten that well-known proverb, "those who live in glass houses should not throw stones." Which didn't occur to Sam and Shadowcell, unfortunately, as their fragile construct crashed down upon them. It didn't hurt them miraculously, except for their minds which suffered permanent scars. A sad fate, their only purpose in life now is to act smug on the internet, accusing other people of the Dunning-Kruger effect in arguments they think they have a clue about, with a demeanor of elitism, while the underside of their rug grows bigger and bigger. The problem is also the victims of their strained mental gymnastics are people like me, who incessantly wonder what the blazes they're going on about and getting the tired old "why don't you figure it out for yourself?" excuse. Not to mention that most of their scorn are due to their own false interpretations.

Every single word of this has just sort of caused me to realize that you really ARE a seminal example of Dunning-Kruger. There wasn't a single 'construct' of my argument that collapsed, there's nothing 'under the rug' in my 'glass houses' (metaphors that mix to the point of contradiction! I love it!) and the end result of your twenty or so responses refusing to respond to even basic clarification of your position allowed me to discover that it's perfectly fair to call you a liar, because of your commitment (intentional or otherwise) to wholehearted intellectual dishonesty coupled with boundless arrogance.

So, basically, you're completely useless and there is not really any hope of reform, so . You cannot argue, and it is because of things you do not possess. At this point it's like the very idea that you are an incompetent arguer and have been from day one of your major tiffs here would be so much of a blow to you that all we're really engaging isn't so much a human being as it is a giant wall of cognitive dissonance that is intent, to the very end, of assuring you of how it's never you that is wrong, it's never you who is misunderstanding something, it's never you who is being unreasonable, and it's never you who engaged in the escalation of hostilities.

Quote:
Go ahead, be mindless drones. I don't care anymore.

Sure you don't. Prove it, shut up, and fuck off forever. Smile
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah the page stretching!
Kanye West

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

Jesus fucking christ.

Imma let you finish, but..

oh, you are finished?

Okay, um, sweet, then. Yo.

I just got one question: Is ridiculation too strong a word for yo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 290, 291, 292  Next
Page 102 of 292

Jump to: