welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
So if we can get away from arguing with Thy about whether or not Thy is worth arguing about, I thought this was an interesting take on a small portion of the whole wage premium debate.

Wasn't there a study done some years ago that showed that a disproportionate number of CEO's were sociopaths?

There was the book, The Psychopath Test, written by a journalist who learns to use the Hare checklist and begins interviewing people, including Al Dunlap, who used to be CEO of Sunbeam. In it he talks to a psychologist who claims a lot of CEOs are psychopaths... I don't know if there's ever been a real study on it, though I'd like to find out. If no one has looked, I'll poke around when I get home from work.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<--- comma abuser
Eiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tests purporting to discuss what percentage of CEO's or sex abusers or used car salesmen have all been very unreliable and we do not yet have real data on these subjects, and only understand psychopathy in reliable terms when it comes to specific diagnoses applied to individuals, and have far to go in analyzing far-reaching social patterns.

Compounding this issue is common interpretation of sociopaths as clean ruthless professionals who are often murderers.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real test is if they can give you an earnest critique of Huey Lewis and the News.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Tests purporting to discuss what percentage of CEO's or sex abusers or used car salesmen have all been very unreliable and we do not yet have real data on these subjects, and only understand psychopathy in reliable terms when it comes to specific diagnoses applied to individuals, and have far to go in analyzing far-reaching social patterns.

Compounding this issue is common interpretation of sociopaths as clean ruthless professionals who are often murderers.

Yeah, the sociopath/psychopath issue is difficult to disentangle not the least because the DSM doesn't have a diagnosis for psychopathy or sociopathy, but calls them both synonymous with antisocial personality disorder. Given that ASPD and the Hare psychopathy checklist only moderately overlap it's difficult to assume the latter is really measuring the former. The DSM-V will still lump them together as antisocial/psychopathic personality disorder, but will allow practitioners to differentiate violent from non-violent traits... but that will probably only further enmesh the two terms.

I hear criminologists use distinct definitions; I should look into that.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: I can show you the world.. Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations

by the way quasi-threatening me is probably not going to help

Offering you dinner on me is a threat?

You guys have no sense of adventure.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it seems fitting that people who know nothing about feminism would start talking about sociopaths, a subject they seem to be very familiar with.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who is not taking his bait, I will join you all in the same endeavor!

Dogen wrote:

Yeah, the sociopath/psychopath issue is difficult to disentangle not the least because the DSM doesn't have a diagnosis for psychopathy or sociopathy, but calls them both synonymous with antisocial personality disorder. Given that ASPD and the Hare psychopathy checklist only moderately overlap it's difficult to assume the latter is really measuring the former. The DSM-V will still lump them together as antisocial/psychopathic personality disorder, but will allow practitioners to differentiate violent from non-violent traits... but that will probably only further enmesh the two terms.

I hear criminologists use distinct definitions; I should look into that.

Criminologists use it in the ways it is most immediately useful and applicable ó trying to deduce potential criminal patterns, recidivism for offenders, etc. It's turned out pretty useful so far, but it cuts out the whole swath of people who are going to be noncriminal/petty offenders and cuts out consideration of issues not directly related to lawbreaking.

Though, admittedly, sociopaths have legendary problems with driving and car ownership.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Though, admittedly, sociopaths have legendary problems with driving and car ownership.

Well now I'm curious. Like what?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowcell will you pleaaaaaaaase go on a date with Thy?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but all my pretty pony princess dresses are in the wash
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
<--- comma, abuser,,,

Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: You'll want it. Reply with quote

I promise I won't euphorically hug you against your will shadow.

But I will offer you succulent ice cream cookie pies.

Mmmmmmmm.

Surely you know what I'm thinking of.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Dogen wrote:
<--- ,,,,, chameleon

Speaking of karma, the fact that these people tend to get elected disproves the naive version of it at least.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Dogen wrote:
<--- ,,,,, chameleon

Speaking of karma, the fact that these people tend to get elected disproves the naive version of it at least.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 136 of 299

Jump to: