welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 315, 316, 317  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I said alcohol doesn't fundamentally change who you are. It lowers your inhibitions and decreases working memory capacity, which makes abstract reasoning harder, including rational decision making. So, beyond a certain point of intoxication a person will no longer have the capacity to make informed decisions (they're impaired, just like you wouldn't ask someone under anasthesia to sign a legal document). But if they're a dick about it, they're a dick when they're sober, too, they just filter it.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
But if they're a dick about it, they're a dick when they're sober, too, they just filter it.

What about people who are the opposite? I'm a complete dick when I'm sober, but a lot nicer when I'm intoxicated.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
But if they're a dick about it, they're a dick when they're sober, too, they just filter it.

Isn't filtering your behaviour a part of who you are?

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, umm... consent is consent, but common sense dictates there will be a level of drunkeness when a person can no longer give consent, probably somewhere around the vomiting on your dick area.

also remember consent can be withdrawn, even during sex.

pretty subjective question really -- it depends on the people and the drunkeness and the situation.

Why are you asking? Is it so you can start spouting horror stories?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:
OK, I'm not going to lie: I didn't read all the previous pages but, I think I could find something that surprised me: do some people consider rape to get laid with a drunken woman?

Umm. This is a random question. Sometimes? Depending on her level of intoxication. Why are you asking?

Actually wait, I'm re-reading the question.

Are you saying she's drunk, you're not, and you have sex, is that rape? Is this what you are asking?

There's a lot of grey areas here, subjectiveness and what not, but it's still probably leaning towards the creepy/scumball end of the spectrum.

HOWEVER, if we're talking passed-out drunk, unable to communicate drunk, or so soppy drunk coherent speech is impossible . . . um yeah, in those cases it's rape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a girl can't order a drink coherently, she can't give consent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Isn't filtering your behaviour a part of who you are?

Sure. I'm not saying you become more yourself when you're drunk. I'm saying that you tend to express your inner thoughts and feelings more. So, while the part of you that worries about social mores is still part of you, when that's suppressed the other parts of you - your willingness to violate the rights of others, your concern for their well-being, your concern for your own well-being, etc. - become more obvious.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
yeah, umm... consent is consent, but common sense dictates there will be a level of drunkeness when a person can no longer give consent, probably somewhere around the vomiting on your dick area.

also remember consent can be withdrawn, even during sex.

pretty subjective question really -- it depends on the people and the drunkeness and the situation.

Why are you asking? Is it so you can start spouting horror stories?

Yeah I try not to be too cynical but questions like this are usually followed with some shit about how total bitches be wanting to not considered a slut so they accuse a perfectly normal guy of rape AND RUIN HIS LIFE!!!!

The nature of consent and how alcohol affects is an important issue, but man is it hard to have such a discussion.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What If The Bitch Deserved It?"
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/11/22/251255.html
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ich.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/5963528/heres-a-devastating-account-of-the-crap-women-in-the-games-business-have-to-deal-with-in-2012

Saw this today and thought it should go here.
Eiden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://alivetinyworld.com/2012/11/27/too-many-reasons-why/

Must be like how being an engineer was about ten years ago. Supposedly open with all the problems fixed. Still like this shit.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a lot of cool people to follow on twitter through that tag... but it really bugs me they have been treated so badly.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5963528/heres-a-devastating-account-of-the-crap-women-in-the-games-business-have-to-deal-with-in-2012

Saw this today and thought it should go here.

Brenda Romero wrote:
Because I am not his arm candy, motherfucker. I make games.

Also, I caught this link: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/games-with-female-heroes-dont-sell-because-publishers-dont-support-them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 147 of 317

Jump to: