welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Go back in the kitchen and make me dinn. . . err I mean use these to stop those rapists.

Quote:
The Shiv Sena party, an ally of the main opposition BJP, said it had handed out 21,000 knives with three-inch blades to women in the city and surrounding areas and plans to distribute 100,000.

I can't be the only one.
They sound pretty hard-core, though. Maybe they should change their name to Knife Party.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh . . . and here I was thinking they were just a bunch of thugs . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet was a pile of disappointment today when I was unable to find an eloquent article about why kitchen jokes need to die in a fire, but rest assured, kitchen jokes need to die in a fire.

You are not being supportive when you make them, and you sure as hell aren't being clever. You make women feel like shit. That is all. Ask yourself, do you want to make women feel like shit?
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Go back in the kitchen and make me dinn. . . err I mean use these to stop those rapists.

Quote:
The Shiv Sena party, an ally of the main opposition BJP, said it had handed out 21,000 knives with three-inch blades to women in the city and surrounding areas and plans to distribute 100,000.

I can't be the only one.
They sound pretty hard-core, though. Maybe they should change their name to Knife Party.

Well, they are hardcore. As in nationalist far right.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
The internet was a pile of disappointment today when I was unable to find an eloquent article about why kitchen jokes need to die in a fire, but rest assured, kitchen jokes need to die in a fire.

You are not being supportive when you make them, and you sure as hell aren't being clever. You make women feel like shit. That is all. Ask yourself, do you want to make women feel like shit?

Did you look at the faces of the women in my link? I don't think I'm the one that's really guilty of making a joke of a serious issue. I was "speaking" from the voice of how their own government seems to be treating them i.e. a) giving them knives that are completely useless except as a tool of some form and b) giving them a cooking ingredient.

There's nothing to be supportive or unsupportive about -- it's an absurd solution to a catastrophic problem. It's like having tons people in leaking life boats and handing out dixie cups and snorkels and telling them "Use these to prevent drowning."

The fact that ANY segment of the Indian government took the knife/pepper solution seriously IS ITSELF A JOKE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten kinds of not my point. Your presentation of the issue sucked. Own up to it.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Worked for John Belushi Reply with quote

Sally, when someone tells you to go to the kitchen, it's probably best to tell them to stay in their basement.

You know the old saying;

Don't get mad, get even.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you want to help. I'm going to react to problematic shit how I want to react, though.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, double post. Apologies.

Last edited by Samsally on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Canopus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it went don't get mad or even. I thought it was get ahead.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Ten kinds of not my point. Your presentation of the issue sucked. Own up to it.

What? Mocking the Indian government's sexist response with a cliche sexist remark? Seems totally appropriate.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like okay I get you wanna point at the Indian government and har har over the fact that we aren't as bad as they are.

That doesn't exempt you from doing sexist things.

That joke is sexist and tired and every time it comes up it makes me feel shitty and I want to set things on fire. I don't actually care your reason for trying to justify it.

You've officially been called out on it. Either you defend shitty humor to the death or you realize "Hey, maybe there is a point in here somewhere that I'm willfully ignoring". Your call.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I appreciate that you want to help. I'm going to react to problematic shit how I want to react, though.

Whoa whoa whoa.. what a dangerous attitude to have.

Holding on to some repressed anger, demanding an ultimatum from poor poor Darc; doesn't sound like the calm, considerate, and thoughtful Samsally I know.

My suggestion doesn't solve the problem of assholes existing in this world, but it sure as hell allows you peace of mind in such a world.

It's better to let go of anger, and move on to more productive things that can and will change how the world thinks.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not holding on to repressed anger at all. I'm not only expressing it, I'm doing so in what I hope is a constructive way, by showing what exactly the problem is and why I feel it is a problem.

Your solution to simply insult someone and walk away is much less productive. It doesn't encourage critical thinking in any way and it would just bread resentment towards me in the process. None of that would give me peace of mind.

As I stated before. I do appreciate that you want to help. In this matter, I do not agree with your methods.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All states but Oregon impose restrictions on abortions beyond Roe. WA is tied for second... or second to last, whichever way you want to look at it. Oklahoma, though, really wants to own your uterus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 160 of 288

Jump to: