Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 268, 269, 270  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Yup, is like at the end the author lost the focus, right?

I said the "smell" because I thim he is right at most of the points, but the way he tolds, is a bit victimizing, switching from "they made us feel" to "we feel"

David Wong has a problem with being consistent in his reasoning. He fails to draw some logical conclusions which makes the ending of his articles feel rather off. He posits stuff yet doesn't give any reason for doing something about it. He simply doesn't finish his article.

His book is great though. Some of the funniest fiction I've read.

mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i took from it is that, according to him, men think about sex virtually all the time, and they can't help it.

i'm not a guy, so i guess i have to ask - is this really true? because i think of the men i work with and have worked with, and most of the time i thought they were just thinking about what i do, work-wise. maybe it's because i'm not stunningly beautiful, but according to this guy, i should then anger them because i'm not stunningly beautiful. and i'm just not getting that rage/disgust vibe off of them.

maybe it's because i'm at a university, and all highly educated men are functional eunuchs, or something, since they are spending their time spreading culture and advancing medicine and in general not blowing stuff up.
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

maybe it's because i'm at a university, and all highly educated men are functional eunuchs, or something, since they are spending their time spreading culture and advancing medicine and in general not blowing stuff up.

Hey, blowing stuff up is cool !
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yeah, I think "reason 1" is pretty terrible. I don't generally assume all men are sex crazed idiots by design.

Well you should, because most of us are.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mouse, it's something like this:
Darqcyde wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Yeah, I think "reason 1" is pretty terrible. I don't generally assume all men are sex crazed idiots by design.

He presents a lot of examples that prove yes, something definitely isn't right, but as it's written in a way that talks to a female audience it just sort of ends in a sad little apology. It gives the impression that "sorry, i guess this is just how things are".

I dunno, I'd probably be insulted if I was a guy. He obviously isn't talking to a male audience, he's just piling excuses on a female one.

I think he's failing to make some important necessary conclusions. It should be something more like:
A 13-21 year old male is VERY likely, if not usually, a sex crazed idiot and patriarchal society has essentially allowed for this immature mentality to be maintained into adulthood and viewed as not only 'normal', but also socially acceptable.

Or something like that. I think that's what he's trying to get at, and would probably agree with, but I'm not sure.

I can't speak for other guys, but during adolescence I couldn't stop thinking about sex, even if I wanted to. It's not always about arousal either. There's the constant bombardment in media of sex, sex, sex. And the perpetuation of the notion that if you're a guy, and you're not getting laid A LOT, something's wrong with you. Or the portrayals of women as merely sexual objects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsewhere, a two part analysis on Anita Sarkeesian's deceptive methods and tactics: part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gLmcS3-NI part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFk5F-S_hI

As I finished catching up on her videos I kept finding myself thinking "Well I agree with points A, B, D and F, but points C is making an invalid assumption, and point E doesn't apply to what you're talking about at all."

I honestly was not aware that she effectively trolled 4chan so that their trolls would help conflate her status as a victim in order to raise more money during her Kickstarter campaign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, so okay, the idea of being unable to think about anything other than sex is so beyond foreign to me I may have to step back and just listen to other people's experiences because yeah, that's -really- hard to imagine for me and I fully recognize it's because of my special snowflake status more than anything else.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
what i took from it is that, according to him, men think about sex virtually all the time, and they can't help it.

i'm not a guy, so i guess i have to ask - is this really true? because i think of the men i work with and have worked with, and most of the time i thought they were just thinking about what i do, work-wise. maybe it's because i'm not stunningly beautiful, but according to this guy, i should then anger them because i'm not stunningly beautiful. and i'm just not getting that rage/disgust vibe off of them.

Well it lessens with age and depends on the particular task you're performing. If it's not a particular difficult task and you let your mind wander most men will probably think about sex too.

It's not a matter of young men thinking constantly about sex though. We think about other stuff too. It's that we think of it frequently and can't control it. It just pops up, even when there is no reason for it. There's no mood needed or really anything in particular. Sex is just something that you think about a lot.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For guys, during puberty, the likelihood of a random erection is directly proportionate to the likelihood of being called to the front of the class. Wink

Seriously though, the ever stimulated sex drive of adolescence is really the best reason why we need early and comprehensive sex ed, like by ages 9-10.

There's a part in The Basketball Diaries where they talk about masturbating half a dozen + times a day and Leo's mom thinks he has a cold is scarily accurate.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

As someone who falls squarely in the 15-21 age bracket, I have to say no, because I hardly ever think about it.

I'd rather have a well stocked chemistry lab to tinker around in than sex though, so maybe I'm one of those

mouse wrote:
highly educated men [who] are functional eunuchs

Minus the "highly educated" part.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
For guys, during puberty, the likelihood of a random erection is directly proportionate to the likelihood of being called to the front of the class. Wink

Seriously though, the ever stimulated sex drive of adolescence is really the best reason why we need early and comprehensive sex ed, like by ages 9-10.

There's a part in The Basketball Diaries where they talk about masturbating half a dozen + times a day and Leo's mom thinks he has a cold is scarily accurate.

Yeah there's a reason that teenage guys in media are frequently depicted as sex-obsessed. The random erection in the classroom is a fucking thing that most every guy recognizes. Sex is really important.

I absolutely agree that it's part of the reason for why you really need good sex ed. Not just to prevent kids from doing dumb shit, but to show understanding and provide knowledge. To prevent teenagers from picking the wrong role-models. To have them know that there is nothing wrong and it's all ok and you should just be nice people. And start early.

I mean, the sex ed I got hasn't stopped me from thinking about sex. And I still have to be honest and admit that I'll probably respond to any offer of sex by any girl with a loud "Yes.". But it has made me recognize and understand things, and it has prevented me from picking bad role models.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number one thing that prevented me from becoming a man whore? A kid in 7th grade getting syphilis from a 9th grader. It gave me a phobia of local girls.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the conversation's gone that way, here's a (NSFW) glimpse into the mind of the pubescent male
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Well, I also spend a great deal of time thinking about the projects I'm working on, the household budget, tools I'd really like to add to my shop, enlarging my shop, stuff I'm reading, what I'm going to eat for lunch or for dinner, my truck, my daughter, my mom, my dad, my brother, my girlfriend, my cat, friends, what to do with myself when I'm bored,... All in all, I'd say I spend only slightly more time thinking about sex than I spend actually engaged in sex. And there are monks who get more than I do! (I kid. ...I hope.)

During puberty and adolescence, I'd say the time spent thinking about sex was greater than it is for me, these days. But, even then, I had plenty else on my mind: school, extra-curricular activities, my truck, my family, how to avoid chores, friends, what to do with myself when I was bored,...

Besides, having watched my daughter go through puberty and adolescence, I'd have to say that men and women both tend to be a bit absorbed with the topic of sex in those years of life. But, still, they find plenty else to think about, too.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything that postulates that men/people think about sex 'all the time' or 'x times per minute/hour' is just balls-out made up, gee how did they claim to have scientifically measured it!

some are particularly egregious. i'm probably on the high end of the scale of ~wantonly libidinous male~ and if i were obsessed with sex to even a fraction of what they were claiming i would be functionally crippled and chronically inattentive and would probably have been run over by a car by now because of the CONSTANT INTRUDING THOUGHTS OF SEX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 186 of 270

Jump to: