welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBO series Oz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
we won't even discuss that the whole goal they are promoting is being a wildly successful entrepreneur (which you can only do by not having anyone in your life to distract you, like wives and kids and stuff).

And as the Beatles said, "money can't buy me love." The best predictor of emotional well-being is not income, but care giving, social relationships, and good health.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting a youtube link and I got a pdf with actual research.

In retrospect I should not have expected anything else.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I just wanted to listen to the Beatles!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do take requests... Very Happy
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded, that's something that had been bothering me for a bit. =) I suppose it is good and important that for the most part, I mainly backed them up and told them I'd look out for them.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's kinda cool this exists. Sounds like it may need some polishing, but overall I think it's a good idea and something I hope more dating sites have in the future (whether it's built into the site or an add-on made by someone else).
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh... That is fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally's link wrote:
Have you ever been in a situation where you tried, but for various reasons did not succeed, in having sexual intercourse with an adult by using or threatening to use physical force (twisting their arm, holding them down, etc.) if they did not cooperate?
This is not a hypothetical question, nor is the answer universally obvious. This is, in fact, the exact phrasing of a question used in a study called "Repeat Rape and Multiple Offending Among Undetected Rapists" by David Lisak and Paul M. Miller, published in Violence and Victims, Vol 17, No. 1, 2002 (Lisak and Miller 2002).
Tragically, a statistically significant portion of respondents answered in the affirmative.

I find this profoundly disturbing. Just the fact that someone wouldn't find that situation so completely wrong that they don't even feel the need to lie about it boggles my mind.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
So it's kinda cool this exists. Sounds like it may need some polishing, but overall I think it's a good idea and something I hope more dating sites have in the future (whether it's built into the site or an add-on made by someone else).

That's awesome. I have some friends who use OkCupid, so I'll definitely pass this along.

On the general "rape in the media," well, there's TVTropes index of Sexual Harassment and Rape Tropes, which will get you to lists of every variant you wish to consider. For instance, look at aversions on the Double Standard Rape Male on Male page.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Air Force Sexual assault Prevention Chief has been arrested. What for, you may ask? Why sexual assault, of course!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57583128/air-forces-sexual-assault-prevention-chief-arrested-for-sexual-assault/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
mouse wrote:
we won't even discuss that the whole goal they are promoting is being a wildly successful entrepreneur (which you can only do by not having anyone in your life to distract you, like wives and kids and stuff).

And as the Beatles said, "money can't buy me love." The best predictor of emotional well-being is not income, but care giving, social relationships, and good health.

yeah, but clearly "emotional well-being" is not what they are after. since they advocate hiring a prostitute for sex, rather than risk getting into an emotional entanglement with a girlfriend, who will proceed to drag you down with her demands for sex and attention and gifts and stuff. neither the reduction of sex to a commercial transaction nor the overall picture of women just generally being toxic strikes me as being emotionally healthy.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to win at life:
Remove soul.
???
Profit!

That's pretty much what I'm getting from that list.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Dogen wrote:
mouse wrote:

yeah, but clearly "emotional well-being" is not what they are after. since they advocate hiring a prostitute for sex, rather than risk getting into an emotional entanglement with a girlfriend, who will proceed to drag you down with her demands for sex and attention and gifts and stuff. neither the reduction of sex to a commercial transaction nor the overall picture of women just generally being toxic strikes me as being emotionally healthy.

That would be, ironically, the opposite of what research shows brings most people actual happiness: reducing emotional attachment between people in favor of financial attachments.

In other news, has anyone seen Iron Man 3, and can they confirm or deny this? How Iron Man 3 Flipped the Script on Female Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 208 of 314

Jump to: