welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
So, I used to work retail and one day I had this customer who wouldn't believe that a DL2015 watch battery was the same as a CR2015 (the former is simply Duracell brand). He argued with me about it, I told him I couldn't help him because that was the only battery of that type that we carried. He demanded to talk to my boss, who told him the same thing. He got pissed because he wasn't hearing what he wanted to hear and said if we didn't help him he was never coming back. My boss said, "Some customers are worth losing."

Well to be fair, coin cells are the most infuriating little fuckers to deal with. Tiny, hard to read, a billion different types and on top of it all they have a rage-inspiring tendency to flip around the wrong way when you load them into a tube.

Also, Imageshack issues may have been the reason my avatar disappeared before.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i checked my imageshack and i couldn't find my green self - so imageshack may have decided to toss it.

did find a lot of other fun pics i'd totally forgotten about..
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:
So, I used to work retail and one day I had this customer who wouldn't believe that a DL2015 watch battery was the same as a CR2015 (the former is simply Duracell brand). He argued with me about it, I told him I couldn't help him because that was the only battery of that type that we carried. He demanded to talk to my boss, who told him the same thing. He got pissed because he wasn't hearing what he wanted to hear and said if we didn't help him he was never coming back. My boss said, "Some customers are worth losing."

Well to be fair, coin cells are the most infuriating little fuckers to deal with. Tiny, hard to read, a billion different types and on top of it all they have a rage-inspiring tendency to flip around the wrong way when you load them into a tube.

Also, Imageshack issues may have been the reason my avatar disappeared before.

Yeah it took me 15 minutes and my smartphone once when I was trying to get replacement batteries for the lab's electric calipers.
"Fuck which of these actually fit and work? NONE HAVE THE SAME DESIGNATION. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo - and as i discovered on something-or-other, some of those ones that are supposedly the same size are slightly thinner than others. i think it's the 2025s and 2037? something like that. same voltage, same diameter, different thickness - so if you get the wrong one (because the store only has the one, and the back of the pack says its the same), and your device is sensitive to the fact that one is just a teeny bit thinner....no power Sad
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
ooo - and as i discovered on something-or-other, some of those ones that are supposedly the same size are slightly thinner than others. i think it's the 2025s and 2037? something like that. same voltage, same diameter, different thickness - so if you get the wrong one (because the store only has the one, and the back of the pack says its the same), and your device is sensitive to the fact that one is just a teeny bit thinner....no power Sad

just put a bit of metal foil next to it, then
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had to replace those kinds of batteries before, but I hate them all now just thinking about this tediousness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

2032s. Wink Yeah, and then some with different numbers are the same. Like an A76 really is the same as an LR44...

I worked in retail too long. All these years later and I still remember...
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack, wasn't it?

Yeah, it's been years since I've worked in cell phones and I still can place what make a cell phone is by its generic ringtones.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I never had to replace those kinds of batteries before, but I hate them all now just thinking about this tediousness.

I refuse to use things that use them. It's seriously a deal-breaker for me. If it uses coin batteries, I don't buy it. If it's a gift, it dies and never gets replaced. Just ugh, no.

And double-triple moreso now that I have kids. I've heard some wrenching horror stories about kids swallowing those things. Which is another really, really good reason to never have to use coin batteries.

Not in my house. Nuh-uh. Nope.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my program has 64 people, 8 of whom are men. I was talking to the people from the diversity office about the guide they put out that lists contact information for religious organizations, community associations, and cultural centers that cater to people of minorities. It's a neat guide that I imagine helps people acclimate.

Anyway, she starts asking if I feel included, and to be sure to speak up if the language isn't gender inclusive or I feel otherwise shut out. Kind of weird, in an interesting way, to suddenly be someone people worry isn't included rather than the default. Of course, I can walk out the door and be back on top, so it feels kind of insincere for me to say I'm now a minority, but I appreciate any opportunity to see a new perspective.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times in my work setting I've found myself a part of a group of women, with maybe a handful of men. It left me feeling kind of bemused just much they HAD to comment on it. Now, these are guys that I have a really high opinion of (one of the reasons I've stuck with this job so long, my coworkers are, for the most part, quite awesome). But damn, it must have made them really uncomfortable, considering how many times it got pointed out and mentioned.

It was just one of those things I noticed in passing. It didn't occur to me to point out how often I find myself one of only a few women in a group of dudes.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on nursing units for 5 and a half years where it wasn't uncommon for me to be the only guy, and if there were three of us someone would inevitably mention the testosterone level being high. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. I'm happy to be in a room with 64 people with an average GPA of 3.74, you know? Plus, I like that the women in our FB group are working together to make sure everyone has a carpool or someone to ride the bus or bike with.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually the guys that mention it, which is what makes me suspect they are uncomfortable. *shrugs* We usually just give each other shit about all kinds of things, and eventually they stop mentioning it.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I imagine it probably does make some guys uncomfortable. I like it, though. Smile
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
in fact, i have a feeling i know where that "open letter" came from.

doubly confirmed as crayven, now

though he's ceased referring to ShadowCell as toothrot

crayven wrote:

Yes i am sure Simian McTroll will come soon and enlighten me with his - as you adequately put it - "colorful language".
And let's not forget the California troll, Shadowcell.

assuming he didn't come up with this independently
or read the 'open letter' or this thread and take a liking to the names
both of which are quite possible, I s'pose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 216 of 288

Jump to: