welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 319, 320, 321  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally like the little chains. it's important for armor to have lots of little dangly fiddly bits. especially ones that can get caught on things.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ought to have hung them all down there near his scrotum. His unprotected scrotum.

Not for filling some kind of fetish, mind you. But because constant damage will clearly harden the scrotum so that eventually he won't need armor there at all. And really, because evolution, men should feel obligated to leave their balls out unprotected. It just makes sense, right? (No of course, its not creepy or fetishy! It's biotruth!)

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a literal spit-take irl at 'biotruths'
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "citizen filibuster" delayed votes on an anti-abortion bill in the Texas house. This buys the Democrats in the state senate time to mount the real deal before the session ends.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It seems to me that garbage men and pickup artists should switch names." - A friend quoting someone else on Facebook. Love it.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Someone is kickstarting a 'dating advice' book which is actually a guide to comitting sexual assault. Here's a petition for the CEO of kickstarter to refuse to actually hand over the money.

http://www.dosomething.org/petition/kickstarter

Seriously...this kind of 'advice' is already followed by creepsters. No need to spread it further.

Update on that. Kickstarter responded and are changing their terms of service, etc. On their part, it's totally understandable. It seems they only had a couple hours to decide whether to cancel it. But good to see they're addressing it and concerned about that type of stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Someone is kickstarting a 'dating advice' book which is actually a guide to comitting sexual assault. Here's a petition for the CEO of kickstarter to refuse to actually hand over the money.

Seriously...this kind of 'advice' is already followed by creepsters. No need to spread it further.

Update on that. Kickstarter responded and are changing their terms of service, etc. On their part, it's totally understandable. It seems they only had a couple hours to decide whether to cancel it. But good to see they're addressing it and concerned about that type of stuff.

Also donating money to RAINN, which is good.

Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Good to hear. I'm sure some people are going "But kickstarter is still funding the guy!", but... I'm not sure how much leeway they had their. Changing the terms of service and applying them retroactively would be a bad precedent to set. And probably not legal.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah exactly. After the fact, there's really no leeway. When I pay for something, it links me to Amazon, where I commit to pay upon completion. The second the project ends and is funded, the funds are already sent to the party that is promised the money.

They could probably go through excessive legal means to do so, but like you said, that would probably go against the concept of Kickstarter even more. Really, since the person who originally blogged about it said there was only 10 hours left until it was funded (Already after hours that night) and urged everyone to contact Kickstarter, they had like a couple hours. It's just a problem that no one ever followed out and read the stuff ahead of time before the project was so close. But like Snorri said, they're even donating to RAINN, so it's definitely good overall.

Also, the guy issued a statement about it:
http://pastebin.com/zwHYzCZe

Take it how you will. Even if it's not as bad as it sounded, it's still someone that's pretty clueless overall who doesn't understand WHY it's wrong to write some of the things he did. He's not wrong that being straightforward and honest are important thing, but the way he's chosen to say it still turns it into assault.

If he was that clueless to his own behavior, maybe he'll fix it. If he's not, he's just continuing to a be a manipulative douche.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said the money changes hands pretty much after the thing is funded. I believe it, because kickstarters I've donated to got the money right after finishing - and some of the prizes get sent out right after too. (Like Peachy Keen. They were awesome!)

I'm disappointed they can't revoke the money, but it is very awesome they are changing things so that this won't happen again. I was seriously reconsidering having anything to do with Kickstarter, and I was so sad because I've seen good things come of it.

As for this guy, he suffers from ignorance of the idea that positive confirmation is also necessary for not assaulting people. A friend of mine used to work in a school where there was a high incidence of rape. Once the boys were taught that they should ascertain a positive 'yes' before trying anything, that rate plummeted. It turned out they didn't understand how consent were, which led to confusion about when someone is incapacitated, or too terrified to say no.

Adyon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Umm....Interesting 2nd update I received:

All the info at http://www.dosomething.org/petition/kickstarter

Quote:
UPDATE: Above the Game author Ken Hoinsky apologies and says he'll write a book that promotes consent (Monday, 1:18 pm)

While our petition received 61,095 signatures in two days, our goal isn’t lots of clicks or even an apology from Kickstarter. Our goal was and always is, impact. So we reached out to Above the Game author Ken Hoinsky. He agreed to a coffee.

On Saturday, our petition writer Ben Kassoy sat down with Ken (we kind of love the idea of two straight guys sitting down to chat about sex, sexuality, and violence).

Today, Hoinsky said in a statement that he “wholeheartedly apologizes to everyone I offended” and is committed to writing a book that promotes consent, respect, and healthy relationships.

“Ben Kassoy of DoSomething.Org, a non-profit that encourages social change, reached out to me,” he says, “...to provide alternate opinions and insights to help remove all of the potentially harmful advice.”

Hoinsky realizes he needed to “seriously evaluate every last word of my writing to make sure I wasn't encouraging sexual assault in any way, shape, or form.”

“I am proud to say that his was the first of many meetings I will be having with anti-rape and anti-abuse organizations and experts to make sure that the advice I am offering is free of any tinge of sexual assault or rape vibes,” he added. “I will be rewriting Above The Game under their guidance and insight.”

I must say...I'm pleasantly surprised for once. Really. This isn't how I expected this to play out at all. It actually kind of gives me hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I want to read his book to make sure.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, that is nifty! This could actually turn out to be really awesome, if a lot of MRAs still read the book - because maybe he can explain in language they'll understand what sexual harassment is and how not to do it. Which would be even better than this guy not writing a book at all.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, I am once again feeling frustrated at skeptical atheists who are also MRAs. Someone whose videos I love to follow made a rebuttal to Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes Vs Women. I haven't watched it, as my tablet is having spotty youtube playing ability. I don't know if I want to watch it, because I have a good idea of what they're going to say already and it is really tiresome.

This situation is really frustrating and saddening. There are smart people that I think would participate in and help the skeptic movement if its spokespeople weren't also sexists.

I would like to think one day I could attend a skeptical conference and enjoy myself participating. But based on what I've seen, I'm likely to be sexually harassed or stalked or whatever, and then if I speak up or complain about it, no less than Richard Dawkins may decide to try and humiliate me.

And if I ever do get to go to a skeptical conference, I'd like to think I could bring friends with me. But friends who have been raped? Stalked? Harassed? People with severe anxiety and other disorders? Fat women? Disabled people? I couldn't bring them.

What continues to make me most sad about all this is that I had thought for so long that finally! Finally, there is this huge group of people I know of that believe in reason. They don't buy into harmful crap! They want to see reason prevail, they want everyone to be educated!

And...they want to continue unimpeded in harassing women who only wanted to join in the skeptical community.

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
On another note, I am once again feeling frustrated at skeptical atheists who are also MRAs. Someone whose videos I love to follow made a rebuttal to Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes Vs Women. I haven't watched it, as my tablet is having spotty youtube playing ability. I don't know if I want to watch it, because I have a good idea of what they're going to say already and it is really tiresome.

There are a bunch of legitimate gripes with Sarkeesian's videos and arguments. It is possible that a response can be critical and fair and still give credit.

I dunno the chances of that happening, but waiting to see it can't be a bad thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 319, 320, 321  Next
Page 219 of 321

Jump to: