welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 315, 316, 317  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
Heard of them, tend not to really pay attention. The general impression that I get from people who have paid attention is that they are doing for feminism what PETA is doing for treatment of animals.

Get media attention and don't do much else ?
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pretty decent example.

Quote:
While it is unquestionably necessary, brave, and noble to stand with Amina (who is reportedly not free to move or speak safely), the protests were distressingly and distractingly Islamophobic. A photo from one of shows a white woman with crescent moons covering her nipples, wearing a fake beard, a unibrow penciled in with eyeliner, and a bath towel on her head.

Promoting ignorance of other perspectives while trying to get people to support your own is a losing game. The net result is people scratching their heads going, "I guess they are fighting for the right to be topless, maybe?"
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought they were just interesting at first, then started to find racism, and this weird thing about using beauty to protest. (They mostly appear to be thin, white blonde people.) That makes me assume they probably turn people away based on how they look. They've also got a training camp which was recently lit on fire.

It's just weird to me that no doofus MRAs have latched on to this group.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably too busy accusing the wrong people of feminisms.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Anyone here heard of Femen? I am surprised I never found out till now about a group of topless feminist protesters with training camps and everything. I mean, why are our MRAs slacking so much i had to find this out on the street (or at least through google news.)

they're like an international code pink. 'steer clear' is the best general advice
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site recently and I'm really rather impressed with it. The stories they report are succinct and very objective in their commentary.

Quote:
The Topfree Equal Rights Association (TERA) helps women who encounter difficulty going without tops in public places in Canada and the USA, and informs the public on this issue.

This website is intended as an information resource. It should interest women (and men) who understand --- or want to understand --- that women's breasts are just fine, and in no way indecent, obscene, dangerous, or some other version of bad, any more than men's are.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very late to the game on this, but I just discovered John Kovalic's tumblr, the Dork Tumblr: http://muskrat-john.tumblr.com It's a progressive geek heaven:

ALSO: here's a pretty rocking comic on equality as well: http://www.dorktower.com/2013/07/15/geek-equality-dork-tower-15-07-13/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK women writers sent bomb threats by Twitter and other appalling bullshit.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/world/europe/uk-twitter-threats/index.html
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
TIAB wrote:
Heard of them, tend not to really pay attention. The general impression that I get from people who have paid attention is that they are doing for feminism what PETA is doing for treatment of animals.

Get media attention and don't do much else ?

Surely they aren't killing quite as many women as PETA are killing animals?
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
UK women writers sent bomb threats by Twitter and other appalling bullshit.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/world/europe/uk-twitter-threats/index.html

So I totally read this wrong and was super confused til I looked at the artice.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not on twitter - is this like a british thing, or does it happen everywhere with twitter? i am still confused about the intensity of response to putting jane austen on the money - i mean, jeez, do this twitter idiots (would they be 'twidiots?') even know who jane austen _is_?

i'm stunned that there seems to be so much free-floating hate around. i guess it's always been there, and twitter just lets it be expressed...except really, i wonder if some social media doesn't actually enhance it, by providing a feedback loop.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent 20 minutes talking to a friend who is convinced that women are not a significant factor in any meaningful way in console gaming. He's convinced of this because of the 40 women (out of 700,000~) he's, apparently, asked in Estonia, none of them are console gamers. He thinks this is representative of the Estonian gaming market, and thinks the Estonian gaming market is representative of the EU (and presumably NA) market.

Rolling Eyes I guess this could go in the Socrates thread too.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, of the ~150-200 people i know, absolutely none of them are Estonian, so from that sample, i'm pretty sure Estonia does not exist, like Mordor or Latveria

so there
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently 45% of gamers are women, but that's just statistics, and you know anecdotal evidence is stronger...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but does that include estonian women? because that's the demographic that counts.

you know what they say - "as estonia goes, so goes latvia".

after that, it's just dominos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 229 of 317

Jump to: