welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not actually a misogynistic asshole. Sucks, right?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. You aren't misogynistic, at any rate. I was referring to your friends weird assumptions being unfortunate, though.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have you know that sexism in philosophy is a time-honored tradition
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Yeah, I'm not actually a misogynistic asshole. Sucks, right?

Well it would provide us with more challenging debate if you were.

But yeah man I've encountered the problem. It looks like the survey Dogen gave is basically the only survey done. By anecdote I know plenty of female gamers, but that doesn't work very well in an argument.

Still, I would argue that even if women were a negligible part of console gaming outside of Wii Fit it would only show that current market doesn't appeal to women rather than them having some aversion to console-gaming.

Well, actually I would argue that man your friend is saying some ridiculous shit but I am not the best at reasonable debate.

Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i'll have you know that sexism in philosophy is a time-honored tradition

First, that blog about women in philosophy is dope.

Second, yeah holy shit man what up with all the sexism in this field?

Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Properly understanding another e-mail to the student that included the crude term for masturbation, he added later via e-mail, depended on a distinction between “logical implication and conversational implicature.”

man what. You gotta have balls if you want to argue like that.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sexist!
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Well, actually I would argue that man your friend is saying some ridiculous shit but I am not the best at reasonable debate.

Yeah, he's got some mild dunning-kruger going on and his inability to recognise or dismiss his own biases is unlike any other person I've ever met. He genuinely thinks his own recollections of conversations with other people trumps statistical data. It was a conversation where if it were my first experience with him I would assume he was deranged.

Snorri wrote:
Still, I would argue that even if women were a negligible part of console gaming outside of Wii Fit it would only show that current market doesn't appeal to women rather than them having some aversion to console-gaming.

Certainly. I think it's obvious that the reason fewer women play console games has more to do with the overwhelming majority of games featuring male protagonists and being marketed towards men and less to do with, say, a lack of exercise-based games, but clearly the (obviously majority male) console gaming industry does not. I tried to find some numbers for the percentage of female protagonists in games in recent years (it looks like 3%). I didn't find much but I did find the response to Anita Sarkeesian criticising the total absence of female protagonists at Xbox's E3 presentation this year.

It's disgusting.

..urgh Sad

(it makes me extra sad because I think Anita is awesome)
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter, Because emails and blog posts weren't good enough at creating shitstorms.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, mouse? demented expressions of misogyny on twitter isn't just for brits!
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true, its a fun game we all can share.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:

Snorri wrote:

Certainly. I think it's obvious that the reason fewer women play console games has more to do with the overwhelming majority of games featuring male protagonists and being marketed towards men and less to do with, say, a lack of exercise-based games, but clearly the (obviously majority male) console gaming industry does not. I tried to find some numbers for the percentage of female protagonists in games in recent years (it looks like 3%). I didn't find much but I did find the response to Anita Sarkeesian criticising the total absence of female protagonists at Xbox's E3 presentation this year.

It's disgusting.

..urgh Sad

(it makes me extra sad because I think Anita is awesome)

Communicating the problem to the people concerned seems to be the most difficult problem yet as the people who go on the internet talking about games overwhelmingly fall into the group that is being marketed to. From their perspective nothing is wrong since what they get is what appeals to them. The most responsive community I've found is in the Penny Arcade boards but you still encounter plenty of "well yeah I like that. If others don't like that then it must not be for them!"

The gaming community is pretty hostile. I subscribe to the theory that it is due to it being compromised of people that got challenged all their life about it and therefore defend anything out of habit.

I do have a slight problem with Sarkeesian though, but that's mostly about the lack of (academic) rigour rather than her message. But it's some nerd-shit that doesn't really affect it anyway. And I have such a reaction to most things. (I raged at an episode of Through the Wormhole yesterday because it was saying a lot of things were simple even though they were complex. And it said the financial crisis was due to bankers bending rules and therefore all of our money wasn't worth nothing. It was a particularly stupid episode.)

TIAB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly every female friend I have plays WoW. A few of them play console games, and the AAA titles at that, such as Gears of Wars and Assassin's Creed and so on. This is purely anecdotal, but having friends like them definitely shapes my perspective on female gamers to the point that I end up assuming that they are perhaps more common(than even studies support).

Also, some time not that long ago, I was in a situation where my only computing device was a tablet. I didn't even have a decent current video game console. So gaming options where a bit limited. I found a passable cross platform hack 'n' slash RPG and had a reasonable time playing but without much actual communication with other players. On a whim I decided to create a second character, this time as a female.
For starters, the character models were definitely leaning heavily on comic book physiques. The male model(singular) was muscular and all of the clothing options were fairly practical, even when improbable. The female model had clothing options that ranged from perpetual wedgie to body-paint-would-be-more-practical. My initial response to this was basically being underwhelmed. Then came the point where I actually started encountering other players in the game. There was a flood of friend requests and guild invitations just for walking by. I managed to mitigate the guild invitations by forming my own guild, which cut out 90% of them. If I didn't respond to the friend requests, I would receive private messages telling me that I was a bitch or something similar. To be fair, there were some reasonable players out there that understood that player gender had nothing to do with the sex of the character, and that it didn't matter anyways as long as you could play the game. I added a few decent people as friends and played cooperatively with them as often as I could. But any time my female character was in a public area... oof.

After a week or two of leveling that character, I called up one of my friends who not only plays a variety of games, but she has worked for a few video game companies in the past, and apologized on behalf of my gender. Prior to that experience, hearing about how female gamers get treated online was just something I read about in articles. I never heard my friends complain about it, either and as I hadn't played any online games in a long time, I just wasn't exposed to it. After experiencing that first hand... WTF? Seriously disgusting.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: acute intracranial feculence in gamerland Reply with quote

This mirrors my very occasional experience playing female characters. More guys ought to give it a try. I suspect a significant fraction of female gamers play male characters just to avoid the hassle, when a choice is available.
TIAB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this today. Seems like it belongs here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 231 of 299

Jump to: