Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10060
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some knuckle fucker fool catcalled at Kimberley A. Johnson. This was her response: http://samuel-warde.com/2013/09/best-response-catcall-craigslist-missed-connections/

On an unrelated note, while I tend to use "knuckle fucker" often when speaking, it seems weird to see it typed.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4171
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting: Cybersexism
Sex, Gender and Power on the Internet
by Laurie Penny


I used to read her blog a bit, but I can't access it at the moment, here's her most recent piece in The Guardian though.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2369
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam Poetry on rape culture

Full vid
_________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck had a chainsaw?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1079
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got linked to this (most definitely NSFW, I think):

http://www.vice.com/read/chatting-with-petra-collins-about-her-menstruating-vagina-shirt

I have to say, this is fucking stupid.

People don't have a problem because it's a tshirt with a blood covered vagina on it.

People have a problem with it because who the actual fuck wears shirts with pictures of genitalia (male or female) on them? Yes, we're trending towards a more sexually liberal future and yes, you shouldn't be ashamed of what you've got, but seriously?

I'm gonna brand this as someone abusing the movement to try to make news with crappy shock tactics to make money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10060
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw people complaining about it because "it's an old lady's hand" Rolling Eyes

I gotta quote the first bit:
Quote:
VICE: What do you think of the media storm youíve started?
Petra Collins: Itís really awesome. Iím not surprised. Itís exactly what I wanted because it totally proves my pointÖ

And what is your point?
That weíre so shocked and appalled at something thatís such a natural stateóand itís funny that out of all the images everywhere, all of the sexually violent images, or disgustingly derogatory images, this is something thatís so, so shocking apparently. The graphic on my shirt is a line drawing, too. Itís not even a full-on image.

Yeah. In Grand Theft Auto V, I can chase an elderly person down the street and shoot them 60 times with an assault rifle. I could literally do that for hours if I wanted to. No one cares. And yet your T-shirt shirt is the worst thing ever.
Yeah. The worst thing ever.

_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tekii



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 184

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Got linked to this (most definitely NSFW, I think):

http://www.vice.com/read/chatting-with-petra-collins-about-her-menstruating-vagina-shirt

I have to say, this is fucking stupid.

People don't have a problem because it's a tshirt with a blood covered vagina on it.

People have a problem with it because who the actual fuck wears shirts with pictures of genitalia (male or female) on them? Yes, we're trending towards a more sexually liberal future and yes, you shouldn't be ashamed of what you've got, but seriously?

I'm gonna brand this as someone abusing the movement to try to make news with crappy shock tactics to make money.


meh, i've seen a ton of t-shirts with guys dicks on them, i dont see the issue with her shirt. if i didnt know what it was beforehand i would just see a hand picking a flower out of a bush... which totally sounds euphemistic but whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3152

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tacky, thats about the limit of it, same as a shirt with a semi realistic drawing of a dude jacking off would be.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1079
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Got linked to this (most definitely NSFW, I think):

http://www.vice.com/read/chatting-with-petra-collins-about-her-menstruating-vagina-shirt

I have to say, this is fucking stupid.

People don't have a problem because it's a tshirt with a blood covered vagina on it.

People have a problem with it because who the actual fuck wears shirts with pictures of genitalia (male or female) on them? Yes, we're trending towards a more sexually liberal future and yes, you shouldn't be ashamed of what you've got, but seriously?

I'm gonna brand this as someone abusing the movement to try to make news with crappy shock tactics to make money.


meh, i've seen a ton of t-shirts with guys dicks on them, i dont see the issue with her shirt. if i didnt know what it was beforehand i would just see a hand picking a flower out of a bush... which totally sounds euphemistic but whatever.


I was unaware that dicks were a popular t-shirt motif.

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
It's tacky, thats about the limit of it, same as a shirt with a semi realistic drawing of a dude jacking off would be.

Pretty much this.

I honestly just find it hilarious that people are like "The reactions to this shirt obviously show that people are uncomfortable with women's sexuality etc etc". No, people's reactions to this shirt are negative because seriously, it's kind of a faux-pas to walk around with a shirt with a picture of genitalia on it. Male or female.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10420
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, there was blogger DNLee/Urban Scientist getting called an "urban whore" for deciding not to blog for free at biology-online.org. Then SciAm took down her blog post, saying in a Tweet (where all good explanations to thorny issues get posted): "Re blog inquiry: @sciam is a publication for discovering science. The post was not appropriate for this area & was therefore removed." Now, after users, bloggers (including those blogging on SciAm), and a PR guy (an interesting read) started dogpiling on them they finally released an actual explanation.

Unfortunately, multiple sites have pointed out that 1) there are a lot of personal blog posts on SciAm that don't meet "discovering science" criteria, and 2) if issues of women in science and people of color in science are relevant enough to do an in-depth piece with DNLee... what exactly was the issue with the original post? Mostly, no one is buying the "we took it down for legal reasons," argument because there's the law and disclaimers and yeah.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 11871
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sorry I let my subscription lapse, then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
E-boy



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1552
Location: Virginia (Much barfiness)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding, after reading the editor's explanation, is that SCIAM took down that blog post because they could not, at that time, verify the content to be factual in nature. They also made it clear that if the issue hadn't been time critical they would have approached the author first rather than yanking the post and then tweeting about it. They faced potential legal issues over this if it turned out to be less than factual. There is nothing inherently discriminatory or nasty is covering your ass legally. Based on what was said I am led to believe, that at such time as the assertions check out as factual the blog be put back up. Of course if it doesn't check out or there is some controversy they might elect to avoid being part of that, and any potential legal issues that could arise as a consequence.

Now I only have their word for it that this is true, but I also, at this time, only have the blogger's word that her story is true as well. I find the stances of both involved parties to be quite plausible. So, I'm suspending judgement and emotional knee jerk responses until I have more information.
_________________
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" ~ SGT John Stryker from "Sands of Iwo Jima".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mikewee777



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 527
Location: 0_0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
It's tacky, thats about the limit of it, same as a shirt with a semi realistic drawing of a dude jacking off would be.


Normally I don't agree with "Monkey M." When I do, it's because of posts like this. The economy will now proceed to collapse as a result of my negligence. I apologize in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10420
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
My understanding, after reading the editor's explanation, is that SCIAM took down that blog post because they could not, at that time, verify the content to be factual in nature. They also made it clear that if the issue hadn't been time critical they would have approached the author first rather than yanking the post and then tweeting about it. They faced potential legal issues over this if it turned out to be less than factual. There is nothing inherently discriminatory or nasty is covering your ass legally. Based on what was said I am led to believe, that at such time as the assertions check out as factual the blog be put back up. Of course if it doesn't check out or there is some controversy they might elect to avoid being part of that, and any potential legal issues that could arise as a consequence.

The only problem with that explanation is that a) it's not factually accurate (see link to EFF's description of legal protection for providers who allow users to post on their site, section 230 of the Communications Decency Act), and b) was their second of two explanations (the first being that the blogs are for helping people discover science, which is also blatantly not true and lots of personal blog posts are made). If they'd pulled it originally for legal reasons they didn't need to talk about "discovering science," they could have just said, "the blog exposed us to legal risk and we took it down," but they didn't. They claimed they took it down because it wasn't sciencey.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the plus side, though, the mention of SCIAM conjured E-boy back into existence - how's it going, guy?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3152

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaked steubenville video, trigger warning,rape culture, horrific people inside, probably ALSO belongs in the lifes horrors section,you have been warned.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 242 of 270

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group