welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 315, 316, 317  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be fair - it says anyone who is injured while engaged in a criminal pursuit. and they are reconsidering the ban.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not perfect but great for those who cry "It's a man's instinct to rape/sex!"
Moor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I read people using that excuse, I just imagine them actually being dogs, typing away on a laptop hidden inside a dog-crate.
It's even more fun when they compare themselves to sharks.

(And you can also combine it with the Hyperbole and a Half thing at the beginning of this one, and feel sorry for the poor little dogs and sharks having a hard time typing on made-for-human keyboards, and being adorably typing sharks. (But that doesn't excuse the misogyny) )
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Not perfect but great for those who cry "It's a man's instinct to rape/sex!"

i think it's great! these people are basically admitting they have less self-control, and are less well-behaved and well-socialized, than your average pet dog.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated that argument because it paints men as weak and incapable of controlling themselves. It's insulting to me, as a non-rapist, to be told that raping women who look too hot isn't something I can control.

It's also surprisingly convenient that we stereotype women as overly emotional and in need of male guidance except in a situation that lets us have our way with someone else's body, then we have no control of ourselves. I'm sure it's purely coincidental, though. Rolling Eyes
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a link to that picture?

When people say that stuff, all I hear them saying is, "I am a terrible danger to everyone around me. Please, take me somewhere safe where I may be supervised and occasionally given a cookie."

Maybe I haven't been on testosterone long enough, but I have yet to experience an uncontrollable urge to rape someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

When people say that stuff, all I hear them saying is, "I am a terrible danger to everyone around me. Please, take me somewhere safe where I may be supervised and occasionally given a cookie."

Maybe I haven't been on testosterone long enough, but I have yet to experience an uncontrollable urge to rape someone.

Nah, I've had testosterone my whole life and I can say I've never felt that urge.

Random, irritating boners, yes. (Hi, Highschool. Or when I'm not on Stratera, WTF is up with that) Urge to rape, not so much.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

From the image properties: this ( http://i.imgur.com/tjkEPfj.jpg ) should work.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source from tumblr: http://tilthingsarebrighter.tumblr.com/post/61264277363/when-you-dress-like-that-its-like-putting-a

Also some info from the source: http://tilthingsarebrighter.tumblr.com/peanutbutterdog
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Source from tumblr: http://tilthingsarebrighter.tumblr.com/post/61264277363/when-you-dress-like-that-its-like-putting-a

Also some info from the source: http://tilthingsarebrighter.tumblr.com/peanutbutterdog

That... that needed explaining? There were people complaining "ZOMG SHE IS COMPARING MEN TO DOGS!"

Really? But, it's.. I mean, it's not inherently clear that she's saying "This is a DOG, and she understands no. So surely you can, as well, because I'm pretty sure you're more cognizant than A DOG".

I... dear god, some people will go to any lengths to become "THE VICTIM DA FEMINISTS ARE OPRESSSIIINNGG" won't they.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of the folks who think she's saying men are like dogs use the analogy she was referring to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I wonder how many of the folks who think she's saying men are like dogs use the analogy she was referring to.

It's a mind numbing level of mental gymnastics to go "It's like putting a steak in front of a dog!" -> "here's a dog not eating it's favorite thing because I said not to." -> "WHY U CALL MEN DOGS?!"

Which means it probably happens every 7 seconds on the internet by people who think they really got in a zinger, rather than being eye-gougingly irrational.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

It's a mind numbing level of mental gymnastics to go "It's like putting a steak in front of a dog!" -> "here's a dog not eating it's favorite thing because I said not to." -> "WHY U CALL MEN DOGS?!"

Which means it probably happens every 7 seconds on the internet by people who think they really got in a zinger, rather than being eye-gougingly irrational.

Augh yeah that kind of failure of critical thinking hurts my soul.
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this up for my tumblr but I kind of want more than three people to read it because it still makes me SO angry.

I went into my favorite coffee shop, got a coffee in a mug and ordered a bagel. Sat down with my tablet and was just going to play tablet games and try to de-stress (It worked really well earlier that week).

Anyway some guy sees my tablet and asks about it so we talk about the tablet for a while and that was fine. Only it didnít stop there.

I made the mistake of showing him a cat picture to show off the tablets surprisingly stellar camera. Well then heís showing me a picture of his kid. ďOh fuckĒ I think, because I can now see what Iíve set myself up for.

Anyway Iím like ďOh sheís cute. I donít know anything about kids though Iím never having one.Ē

"Donít ever say never."

Oh for fucks sake here we go. This somehow spawns a conversation ranging from how love and sex arenít the same thing (Yes thanks as an ace person I am WELL AWARE OF THAT also how does this have anything to do with my desire to never spawn?) then meanders itís way into everything under the sun including why he moved here, why heís now single, where heís from originally, how heís planning to go back to schoolÖ. and okay now Iím kind of panicking because this dude -hard selling himself- and I am so beyond not interested. Iím sure heís a nice guy, he seemed nice, that is not the point, Iím now in this really awkward situation and have no way out. My bagel arrives. Fuck.

He talks about how much better small communities are than big cities. I tell him I want to move to a big city. He tells me I donít.

If any of you caught how the Ďwhy heís now singleí was tucked into a fuck ton of other information and it set off warning bells youíve probably been in this situation before too and Iím sorry. Also the blatantly telling me what I want, when Iíve just told him the literal opposite.

At some point Iím desperately trying to just play my fucking tablet games and heís like ďWhat are you thinking?Ē so I make something up, like ďOh, just thinking about who Iím gunna call tonight.Ē Yes, maybe I can bring up boyfriend this wayÖ. only I wasnít really gunna call him because ugh Schroedingerís Relationship is such a mess right now. I contemplate lying.

Before I can say anything he laughs, ďOh, I thought of something I could say to that but I stopped myself.Ē

I donít want to know.

I do NOT want to know. Panic, what do I say?

I stuff my face with bagel while trying desperately to think of a way to bring up Boyfriend in a way that seems casual and nothing is coming to me. Not a damned thing. I give in and brace myself.

"So Iím getting kind of a vibe from you and I donít want to seem presumptuous or whatever but I do have a boyfriend.

"What do you mean a vibe? I mean yes you are a really pretty lady" significant pause while he stares at me and I end it with a stuttered thanks "but I mean this is just me talking."

"OkayÖ" I try to play tablet games again. He keeps staring at me.

My phone rings. Holy fuck itís Schroedingerís Relationship guy calling. Hallelujah. ďI gotta take this, sorry.Ē

I affectionately set up plans with boyfriend-thing, unsure how affectionate I should be. On one hand, Schroedingerís Relationship is a fucking mess. On the other hand, the more affectionate I sound will maybe discourage coffee shop guy. Maybe? No, of course not.

Anyway call ends, I hang up, the guy is STILL FUCKING STARING AT ME. Iím plotting escape routes this is has officially overloaded my creep-meter.

"So what I was thinking was that you could call me."

What.

"What?Ö"

"When you said you were thinking of who you could call. You could call me."

"Okay so you -are- flirting with me!" yes well done self that is exactly what you should have said fuck fuck fuuuuuck.

"No! Flirting is just baseless, itís just something people do, you know, I donít flirt."

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. I down the remaining coffee.

"Oh, sorry, I have to go."

I walk to the front and ask for my refill to go. My barista hands me my coffee and says softly ďYou could just move?Ē She knew exactly what was happening. She could see how uncomfortable I was from across the fucking coffee shop.

I shake my head, ďHe wants to talk.Ē She nods in understanding.

I flee.

I look over my shoulder as I walk out the door and yup. Heís still staring.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I wrote this up for my tumblr but I kind of want more than three people to read it because it still makes me SO angry.

I went into my favorite coffee shop, got a coffee in a mug and ordered a bagel. Sat down with my tablet and was just going to play tablet games and try to de-stress (It worked really well earlier that week).

Anyway some guy sees my tablet and asks about it so we talk about the tablet for a while and that was fine. Only it didnít stop there.

I made the mistake of showing him a cat picture to show off the tablets surprisingly stellar camera. Well then heís showing me a picture of his kid. ďOh fuckĒ I think, because I can now see what Iíve set myself up for.

Anyway Iím like ďOh sheís cute. I donít know anything about kids though Iím never having one.Ē

"Donít ever say never."

Oh for fucks sake here we go. This somehow spawns a conversation ranging from how love and sex arenít the same thing (Yes thanks as an ace person I am WELL AWARE OF THAT also how does this have anything to do with my desire to never spawn?) then meanders itís way into everything under the sun including why he moved here, why heís now single, where heís from originally, how heís planning to go back to schoolÖ. and okay now Iím kind of panicking because this dude -hard selling himself- and I am so beyond not interested. Iím sure heís a nice guy, he seemed nice, that is not the point, Iím now in this really awkward situation and have no way out. My bagel arrives. Fuck.

He talks about how much better small communities are than big cities. I tell him I want to move to a big city. He tells me I donít.

If any of you caught how the Ďwhy heís now singleí was tucked into a fuck ton of other information and it set off warning bells youíve probably been in this situation before too and Iím sorry. Also the blatantly telling me what I want, when Iíve just told him the literal opposite.

At some point Iím desperately trying to just play my fucking tablet games and heís like ďWhat are you thinking?Ē so I make something up, like ďOh, just thinking about who Iím gunna call tonight.Ē Yes, maybe I can bring up boyfriend this wayÖ. only I wasnít really gunna call him because ugh Schroedingerís Relationship is such a mess right now. I contemplate lying.

Before I can say anything he laughs, ďOh, I thought of something I could say to that but I stopped myself.Ē

I donít want to know.

I do NOT want to know. Panic, what do I say?

I stuff my face with bagel while trying desperately to think of a way to bring up Boyfriend in a way that seems casual and nothing is coming to me. Not a damned thing. I give in and brace myself.

"So Iím getting kind of a vibe from you and I donít want to seem presumptuous or whatever but I do have a boyfriend.

"What do you mean a vibe? I mean yes you are a really pretty lady" significant pause while he stares at me and I end it with a stuttered thanks "but I mean this is just me talking."

"OkayÖ" I try to play tablet games again. He keeps staring at me.

My phone rings. Holy fuck itís Schroedingerís Relationship guy calling. Hallelujah. ďI gotta take this, sorry.Ē

I affectionately set up plans with boyfriend-thing, unsure how affectionate I should be. On one hand, Schroedingerís Relationship is a fucking mess. On the other hand, the more affectionate I sound will maybe discourage coffee shop guy. Maybe? No, of course not.

Anyway call ends, I hang up, the guy is STILL FUCKING STARING AT ME. Iím plotting escape routes this is has officially overloaded my creep-meter.

"So what I was thinking was that you could call me."

What.

"What?Ö"

"When you said you were thinking of who you could call. You could call me."

"Okay so you -are- flirting with me!" yes well done self that is exactly what you should have said fuck fuck fuuuuuck.

"No! Flirting is just baseless, itís just something people do, you know, I donít flirt."

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. I down the remaining coffee.

"Oh, sorry, I have to go."

I walk to the front and ask for my refill to go. My barista hands me my coffee and says softly ďYou could just move?Ē She knew exactly what was happening. She could see how uncomfortable I was from across the fucking coffee shop.

I shake my head, ďHe wants to talk.Ē She nods in understanding.

I flee.

I look over my shoulder as I walk out the door and yup. Heís still staring.

Welp, if it helps, that vicariously made my skin crawl.

Also AUGH especially on the "Oh no here's what you REALLY think." I hate. Hate. HATE THAT. That is one of my hugest, biggest pet peeves. "Oh, no, you ACTUALLY believe X for Y reasons, not Z reasons" is another one, but it's really in the same vein, I think.

Just. Jesus. I am sorry you had to deal with stuff like that.

I wonder if, being an extrovert, I should try to be aware of stuff like this and use my powers AS A FORCE FOR GOOD? Like, become the anti-wingman if I notice something like this going on, and engage in conversation with the guy (or gal? The 'offending' party?) so the uncomfortable party can escape/relocate. Though that may be presumptuous/nosy/condescending. =/.

Regardless, that's, just. Wow. Especially after you make it clear that you are attached (even if YOU know it's a schroedinger's relationship, he doesn't!), and... he still wants you to call him. And the staring. I mean, I, damn, I think of myself as socially inept/spazzy and even *that* I know is just... auuuggghhh.
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 247 of 317

Jump to: