welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 315, 316, 317  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Samsally: That guy pissed me off and I wasn't even there to witness it.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
The tactics of this particular guy, thinking about it, seem more like those of a Pick Up Artist than a salesman to me. Which puts him in a whole new level of creepy.

Y'know, there are a lot of similarities I think. I actually keep an eye out for some kinds of PUA tricks, and he didn't do 'negging' or have any kind of weird prop to draw attention to. Like, he failed entirely at the "pretend to be not be very interested" tactic because of all the staring and not leaving me alone when I tried to ignore him.

Could be he was just doing PUA really badly. Which. Ergh.

(Thanks Yinello <3 It actually really helps to know I wasn't just making up how bad it was, because it's easy to walk away from that shit and feel like you're overreacting.)
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/gop-congressional-candidate-richard-dick-black-spousal-rape-not-a-crime

/URL says it all.
//Seriously, WTF.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ. I couldn't make it far in that article.

In other news I found out coffee shop creeper is a serial creeper. Freaking out because my ability to remember people's faces is spotty at best and another asshole creeped on me as I walked to my car for work today. I don't think it was the same guy but that isn't actually reassuring either.

(He was sitting in the parking ramp where the homeless people who are so drunk they get kicked out of the mission will pass out. He kept repeating something at me, like a greeting? But it was belligerent, like I was being rude for having just waved so I snapped "I'm going to work" and ran up the stairs.)
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/gop-congressional-candidate-richard-dick-black-spousal-rape-not-a-crime

/URL says it all.
//Seriously, WTF.

you know, i love the daily show and the colbert report. i keep worrying that they are going to run out of crazy politicians to make fun of.

but the republican party keeps on providing them.....
jwing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.policymic.com/articles/78983/this-guy-couldn-t-last-longer-than-two-hours-as-a-woman-on-okcupid

Guy, challenged by a friend, made an account for himself on an online dating site. Everything was correct except his gender (and username, natch) He used a photo from a friend who gave him permission to use her photo.

He deleted the account after just over two hours because he couldn't deal with the harassment and unwanted attention.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerie, the sister store to American Eagle, says it's doing away with retouching models in their ads, something pretty significant for a lingerie company to do: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/aerie-unretouched-ads-photos_n_4618139.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Jesus Christ. I couldn't make it far in that article.

In other news I found out coffee shop creeper is a serial creeper. Freaking out because my ability to remember people's faces is spotty at best and another asshole creeped on me as I walked to my car for work today. I don't think it was the same guy but that isn't actually reassuring either.

(He was sitting in the parking ramp where the homeless people who are so drunk they get kicked out of the mission will pass out. He kept repeating something at me, like a greeting? But it was belligerent, like I was being rude for having just waved so I snapped "I'm going to work" and ran up the stairs.)

Can you perhaps take it up with workers of the coffee shop? If he constantly harasses people there, the store's bound to want to do something about a guy who keeps away customers with his creeping.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it becomes even more of an issue I'll start bringing it up more, but I doubt anything would be done about it in the end. The workers can't do much and the owners are not onsite often (if ever, I have no idea what they even look like). I used to have an in with the manager but he has since quit or been fired and I don't think he'd have been able to do much either (other than chase the guy off in the moment, which would have been gratifying to see, but not a long term solution.)

In other news, this is a really interesting article about fake geek/gamer girls called "Seeming Female: Gender in Digital Spaces" that brings up some points I hadn't even thought of.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that there is research about gamers and the genders they choose to portray in MMORPGs. On the one hand it isn't surprising to me at all that older people play characters different from themselves (I think we all know women who game often play as men to avoid assholes), but I had never really thought about the possibility that the fake gamer girl is actually a fake girl (as in, does not identify as female) rather than a fake gamer.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, that article is interesting. It doesn't mention which games, mind; my memory, and indeed previous knowledge at all, is shaky, but I do remember playing multiplayer Diablo II in that sort of era, and that *definitely* had gender-defined classes. So you want to be a Barbarian, with melee weapons and lots of health? You're portrayed as male, in-game. Want to cast fearsome* spells of fire, ice or lightning? You've got a female character. For games that had similar systems, that has to play in to the logic of which gender players chose to play a game as.

*OK, fearsome for the time..

As for Creepy Coffee Shop Guy... is there anything like a local police women's officer or something? Not to get him arrested, but just so that they're aware that this guy is around and being serially creepy... they've probably got a whole load of better ideas than I have of subtle ways to get this guy to back off a bit than I have, too...
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so some site of which I've never heard recently posted a story by a guy about how he encountered a video about some really nifty putter that was becoming popular. He decided to check out what it was all about and discovered a whole bunch of stuff about the industry and then about the woman who made it.

It turned out to be problematic. When trying to check her credentials out he was met with resistance from her after which he dug deeper. He found out rather easily that her credentials were bullshit and then discovered more. He found out that she was a transgender woman and contacts her to verify everything he found out. She and her partner ask him to not publish anything and he refuses. The woman ends up killing herself.

Then the story gets published and is somewhat praised for a bit by people, then people with a fucking brain read it and it fucking explodes. I urge you to read the story because there is so much ignorance it's not even funny.

The editor weighed in and explains he didn't even realize how ignorant he was. And it's a good piece.
They also published a piece by noted transgender advocate Christina Kahrl who explains the problems and is awesome.

So uh... it's fucked up.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit

i visit that site daily and somehow missed all of that
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad, because the article would have been fine if the author had just stuck to reporting on the faked credentials, and perhaps at most mentioning that the credentials had not been found under a previous name, either, without revealing that "Dr. V" was transgender at all.

On the other hand, saying the journalist should commit suicide (and, disturbingly, have all his limbs amputated non-lethally, I mean really?), calling him a murderer, and saying he should be charged with murder/manslaughter doesn't help rectify the situation, either.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
It's too bad, because the article would have been fine if the author had just stuck to reporting on the faked credentials, and perhaps at most mentioning that the credentials had not been found under a previous name, either, without revealing that "Dr. V" was transgender at all.

Yeah that was the main thing. I don't think the author was very transphobic but I do think he was so completely ignorant that what happened was fucking tragic.

Like the editor mentions how he didn't have a problem with the piece until he was told "read it like this" and then he was suddenly thinking "fuuuuck".

It's the kind of thing that I can relate to in a way because a few years ago I would've probably not noticed it. Thanks to these forum and the Penny Arcade forums (which generally are really good in that regard) I got educated. I think one of the biggest struggles for transgender issues is how people aren't even aware. Like they are probably decent people who just say shit without even realizing what it is. That story gets really close to making the gender stuff out as some kind of related fraud to the other fraud which is stupid as fuck but also still a thing in society.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 249 of 317

Jump to: