welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really do not get this need to pinkify everything. my brother and i used to play with legos together. now i guess if you have kids of different genders, they each have to have their own gender-specific legos.

...guess it probably does reduce the fighting over the pieces, though.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow they justify it through marketing studies. I think there may be a bit of a vicious cycle going on.

That said, I wish they'd release more pinks and purples so I could build up a model Ponyville for all my blind bags figurines! Very Happy
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Somehow they justify it through marketing studies. I think there may be a bit of a vicious cycle going on.

That said, I wish they'd release more pinks and purples so I could build up a model Ponyville for all my blind bags figurines! Very Happy

They need to make MLP sets. Period. The I'm not saying the Friends sets are good, but some of the pieces they have are sweet. The Friends advent calendar from last year gave of a whole bunch of pieces we didn't have otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't resist passing along ursula vernon's morally ambiguous honey badger valentines. because sometimes, this is just the sort of sweetheart you need. (make sure you scroll down to the second one.)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those valentines!

I 'd like to see glittery things come in more colors. I was excited to discover interior paint with sparkles in it - but it only comes in pink. I'd love a sparkly dark blue for a ceiling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i can't resist passing along ursula vernon's morally ambiguous honey badger valentines. because sometimes, this is just the sort of sweetheart you need. (make sure you scroll down to the second one.)

Honestly anything by Ursala Vernon should be passed on.

Because Ursala Vernon.

/Also these are awesome thank you for drawing my attention to them.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is going to a hopefully good discussion on Twitter about trans exclusionary feminists on twitter. the hashtag for it is #terfmonday

I think there will be a great deal about one particular person who takes it upon herself to call trans people's employers and doctors to out and harass them. (Don't worry, she's also opinionated about how cisgender people do gender.) Can not recall her name at the moment, but she's a horrible human being.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Jesus, how invasive and cruel. It doesn't surprise me, but still bugs me, that people like that can find any kind of acceptance within what should be a progressive rights movement.
Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There is going to a hopefully good discussion on Twitter about trans exclusionary feminists on twitter. the hashtag for it is #terfmonday

I think there will be a great deal about one particular person who takes it upon herself to call trans people's employers and doctors to out and harass them. (Don't worry, she's also opinionated about how cisgender people do gender.) Can not recall her name at the moment, but she's a horrible human being.

Cathy Brennan? She's the most famous TERF I know of.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Cathy Brennan? She's the most famous TERF I know of.

Wow she sounds like a horrible person.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, kids, TERFs honestly believe that they're in the right and that 'TERF' is a slur

welp, that's depressing

I guess 'TERF' kind of is a slur, if we take "slur" to mean "any term that can be used to cast aspersions on someone", but in that case not all slurs are wrong, especially when they are so directly descriptive, and anyway it's ultimately their own positions that defame them so, not the term we use to describe those positions

stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Cathy Brennan.

I thought Terf was the name they used for themselves? I'm still going to use it, because they are butts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should not have read through that hash tag right before I have to TA physics students.

IRRATIONALLY ANGRY RIGHT NOW.

... Okay, actually, probably *very rationally* angry, now that I think of it.

Still, some of those tweets-

.. I *am* allowed to dislike radfems like that and feel they are terrible, terrible people (or, at least, do terrible, terrible things), yes? Like the one that's trying to imply that only men rape, and that letting any trans into women's shelters will lead to women getting mindfucked and raped, right?

I suppose it's a good thing stuff like this makes me so angry. And I'd chime in against them, but... to them, I'd just be mansplaining. I have no idea how to even approach how to show them that they're wrong.

Ah well. I suppose I can take solace in the fact that I can help in other ways, even if small ways. Like, the girlscout camp I volunteer at is taking pains to be trans-inclusive, and sorting out GS policy for non-cis counselors. And is also making sure that any *children* that might be non-cis feel welcome and not excluded (changing some of our greetings from "Witches" to "Mages", etc-when the thought occurred to her that children that are grappling with their gender identity could be coming to camp, she was actually severely distressed by the thought that some people might have been made to feel unwelcome.)

We've already got one non-cis counselor, and he's awesome. And it was heartening to see how quickly the girls that were initially confused and refered to him as 'her' adapted/accepted it when we made it clear that the counselor was a 'he', and this wasn't just part of the persona they were adapting for the camp.

Which makes me suspect we are akin to TERF-ers nightmares. So, I can, I suppose, take comfort in that. =)

((Sorry if this was rambly: I think I just needed to sit down and type this out so I could calm down and teach with some modicum of effectiveness in a few minutes.))
((Also to clarify, since I realize a lot of people use the wrong pronouns: The counselor in question identifies as male, which is why I use he. I was not calling one that identifies as female a he.))
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the radio on in the house most of yesterday, while we worked on some projects around the house. A local jewelry store kept airing an ad that started something like this:

"What does every woman want more than the perfect man? A perfect man that gives he an ideal diamond."

OSLT. I wanted to write it down word-for-word, but never had a pen handy when it came on. The point was clear even if I got the wording wrong - All women want men, and more than that, want diamonds from a man.

I was stunned at how blatantly sexist this ad was. I mentioned it to my wife, and she nearly erupted with agreement.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not get TERFs. I tried to wrap my head around them but I can't. Like they want equality but they don't want equality for trans* persons? How the fuck is that possible, how can you claim to fight for equality and then deny equality to a group? Doesn't that instantly make you a big fucking hypocrite out there?

It's Animal Farm all over again.

Honestly I don't even consider them the slightest bit feminist. Someone who fights for equality for all should do it for everyone. Anyone who closes the doors for other people isn't qualified to carry the title feminist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 254 of 299

Jump to: