welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 292, 293, 294  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always figure head protection is dropped in a tv show because people want to actually see the stars.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
How do you see me mouse?

honestly? kinda like that homeless woman i see around la jolla, who always has these very emotional, but not real comprehensible, conversations with herself..and the trees....and sometimes her favorite bench. although you do show more awareness of the people around you than she does...but i'm not real sure that what we are saying gets through to you any better than people get through to her.

i'm sorry, guy, but you really don't make as much sense as you seem to think you do. your arguments are certainly not enough to seem like any sort of threat - certainly not to my opinions about things - usually just frustration at not getting through.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I honestly don't know how to tell you that even the most decorative pointless made-to-be-pretty armor is still really fucking stupid when it is actually a liability to even wear.

that's quite interesting - i hadn't thought of the functional aspects (beyond the whole 'you are leaving most of your body exposed' aspect).

roman plate armor was frequently sculpted in the shape of a male torso, and of course covered the whole torso - i guess having the full chest covered helped with the impact. i wonder that no one has thought to make female armor like that - i mean, if it is really necessary to make it clear that the wearer is a person with breasts.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muscle cuirass was mostly decorative, not intended for battle. It was also expensive, which meant not many people could afford it. Depictions of infantrymen in art from the era mostly shows Roman soldiers in banded mail or leather studded with steel plates. See the pretty pictures here.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its nice to know rich people have always been occasiinally ridiculous, i guess. *sigh*
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most functional metal armors have always looked just a wee bit ridiculous compared to the more fashionable variants. the best suits of full plate armor always seemed super goofy to me, with the puffy hips and shoulder nipples and all that.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to look ridiculous than to have a major artery opened up without your approval.
The puffy bulk looks cumbersome, but it usually serves from one to three functions: protect your blood vessels and nerves, allow full mobility, or distribute weight more evenly so that you have freedom of movement without balance issues.
One of the reason there's so much hanging off the hips is because that's one of the most suitable load-bearing parts of the body. Also because most armored knights fought from horseback, so you need something to accommodate the saddle seat. The "shoulder nipples" deflect weapons from your armpits, which are prime targets where a hit would bleed you out in a matter of seconds. A lot of later plate armor incorporates projections, fluting, piping, etc. over all the pieces to provide better strength without extra thickness (think corrugated cardboard), and to deflect weaponry more readily (like the slanted sides of fort walls and tank armor).
A late medieval/early Renaissance armor might look kind of gorfy but it's totally functional and embodies a lot of sound design principles. No boob windows, for example.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, they were all perfect examples of form following function.

samurai armor looks so much better. it's aesthetically way cooler in my eyes. it's total bulky heavy garbage compared to full plate, and especially garbage compared to the composite plate and mail suits most knights usually wore.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Could it be that I'm seen as such a threat that you are purposely debasing me in an attempt to gain leverage over an issue which you are not entirely certain about?
No. And that you seem to consider a conspiracy to defame you more plausible than two people thinking you are wrong is very strange.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Did you even read what I said?
Yes. You can tell by the way I answered what you said.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Do you doubt yourself ever?
Yes. Irrelevant, though. Sounds like the prelude to going off the deep end.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I attain such confidence in my remarks precisely because I doubt myself constantly.

Is it my fault that you've internalized the issue somehow?
And there it is. This literally makes no sense.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I'm not interested in petty bickering, but you are instigating it, and you have the nerve to call yourself mature.

If you can't trust my remarks, then don't trust my remarks.
Okay.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Nothing else needs to be said, my words speak for themselves.
I agree. That's why basically everything I've said has simply been pointing out the words you've used. That's all I need to do, because everyone else who reads them will come to the same conclusions about your trustworthiness that I did.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I bear no ill will towards anyone and my heart is truly free.
I don't think this is true, based on the way you post toward several people. But I'm not complaining about your motivations. I'm trying to get you to acknowledge that citing sources falsely is cause for finding someone untrustworthy.
jwing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the image I'm looking for, but these will do for now.

edit: I found the image:

It's usually posted with the caption "If male armor was designed like female armor in games."

Last edited by jwing on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The muscle cuirass was mostly decorative, not intended for battle. It was also expensive, which meant not many people could afford it. Depictions of infantrymen in art from the era mostly shows Roman soldiers in banded mail or leather studded with steel plates. See the pretty pictures here.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. I was just thinking to myself: Wasn't the fanciest armor worn by commanders, royalty, and others for mostly ceremonial purposes? So, our current "fantasy" armor is really a fantasy of a fantasy of a fantasy? In other words, quite far removed from reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo, while you were taking a vacation we all decided not to reply to Thy at all because it's pointless. He's either a pathological troll or crazy, but neither of those options makes responding to him productive in any capacity.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Well its nice to know rich people have always been occasiinally ridiculous, i guess. *sigh*

Well, sure. Liposuction didn't exist, but by God, you could make your enemies think you had a ripped torso even if your limbs looked like sausages.

The important thing, though, is that boy "boob armor" wasn't really considered functional. Not surprisingly, functional armor has pretty much always eschewed aesthetics (look at my physique!) in favor of function (screw it, let's just live through this/cover all the organs!), as Sam and WoC pointed out so well.

I think fantasy art has just done such a thorough job of normalizing stupid armor that people rationalize it without really thinking.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, which I guess is the whole point of the bingo card to begin with. Like heeeey lets point out some of this ridiculous stuff yeah?

I dunno, feeling pretty pessimistic right now. It'd be nice to think popular designers and artists would walk away from seeing it and actually question some of their choices before perpetuating a bunch of arbitrary bullshit, but it just doesn't feel like much. 'Specially when they're so enthusiastic about dredging up excuses to use it.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious thing to do is take all those bingo squares and apply them to the male armor in their next project.
Make every warrior dude Zardoz!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 292, 293, 294  Next
Page 260 of 294

Jump to: