welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read the comments. Also, as far as I'm concerned, MRA's are for my rights as a white guy about as much as the White Power movement is (or for some post-modern lunacy the "anti-racism is anti-White"/"reverse racism is a big thing" crowd too). Fuck 'em all.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they would actually work on men's issues instead of basically saying "Feminism is evil, things were great the way they were because biotruths!" then hey! Awesome! But that's not what I'm seeing.

I actually saw a 'men's studies' section in a book store the other day. It was odd. Mainly it seemed to be just some books written by men who are being men - which was like most books available in most bookstores, so...? I didn't see the point.

It's kind of like having a special 'heterosexuality' section, when you've already got romance and erotica sections chock full of heterosexuality.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIGGER WARNING (the video, not my comment)

I watched this until the end and it's kinda rough, but worth the 2:17 . It's powerful and poignant, yet not necessarily graphic.

Why Rape Is Sincerely Hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikd0ZYQoDko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirteen-year-old calls out "surf bible" on its sexist ways:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/olive-bowers-13-writes-fierce-letter-to-tracks-magazine-over-its-portrayal-of-women/story-fnlsv2b8-1226869033344
Quote:
Dear Tracks Surf Magazine,

I want to bluntly address the way you represent women in your magazine. I am a surfer, my dad surfs and my brother has just started surfing.

Reading a Tracks magazine I found at my friend’s holiday house, the only photo of a woman I could find was ‘’Girl of the month’’. She wasn’t surfing or even remotely near a beach. Since then I have seen some footage of Stephanie Gilmore surfing on your website, but that’s barely a start.

I clicked on your web page titled ‘’Girls’’ hoping I might find some women surfers and what they were up to, but it entered into pages and pages of semi-naked, non-surfing girls.

These images create a culture in which boys, men and even girls reading your magazine will think that all girls are valued for is their appearance.

My posse of female surfers and I are going to spread the word and refuse to purchase or promote Tracks magazine. It’s a shame that you can’t see the benefits of an inclusive surf culture that in fact, would add a whole lot of numbers to your subscription list.

I urge you to give much more coverage to the exciting women surfers out there, not just scantily clad women (who may be great on the waves, but we’ll never know).

I would subscribe to your magazine if only I felt that women were valued as athletes instead of dolls. This change would only bring good.
Olive

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsewhere, Hobby Lobby is run by hypocrites: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/hobby-lobby-retirement-plan-invested-emergency-contraception-and-abortion-drug-makers
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this completely and utterly fails to surprise me. nice to have it in black and white, though.

of course, the real hypocrisy is that they used to cover all that nasty contraception stuff - before they decided they would rather sue the government:
Quote:
The Green's contention that the pills cause abortions is a central pillar of their argument for gutting the contraception mandate. Yet, for years, Hobby Lobby's health insurance plans did cover Plan B and Ella. It was only in 2012, when the Greens considered filing a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act, that they dropped these drugs from the plan.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-dollar-and-cents-case-against-hollywoods-exclusion-of-women/

Quote:
Better return on investment

We did a statistical analysis of films to test two claims: first, that films that pass the Bechdel test — featuring women in stronger roles — see a lower return on investment, and second, that they see lower gross profits. We found no evidence to support either claim.

On the first test, we ran a regression to find out if passing the Bechdel test corresponded to lower return on investment. Controlling for the movie’s budget, which has a negative and significant relationship to a film’s return on investment,7 passing the Bechdel test had no effect on the film’s return on investment. In other words, adding women to a film’s cast didn’t hurt its investors’ returns, contrary to what Hollywood investors seem to believe.

The total median gross return on investment for a film that passed the Bechdel test was $2.68 for each dollar spent. The total median gross return on investment for films that failed was only $2.45 for each dollar spent. And while this might be a side effect of films with lower budgets tending to have higher returns on investment than films with higher budgets, it’s still a strong indicator that films with women in somewhat prominent roles are performing well.

When you're spending $200 million on a film, $0.23 on the dollar is a pretty hefty chunk of change.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Thirteen-year-old calls out "surf bible" on its sexist ways:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/olive-bowers-13-writes-fierce-letter-to-tracks-magazine-over-its-portrayal-of-women/story-fnlsv2b8-1226869033344
Quote:
Dear Tracks Surf Magazine,

I want to bluntly address the way you represent women in your magazine. I am a surfer, my dad surfs and my brother has just started surfing.

Reading a Tracks magazine I found at my friend’s holiday house, the only photo of a woman I could find was ‘’Girl of the month’’. She wasn’t surfing or even remotely near a beach. Since then I have seen some footage of Stephanie Gilmore surfing on your website, but that’s barely a start.

I clicked on your web page titled ‘’Girls’’ hoping I might find some women surfers and what they were up to, but it entered into pages and pages of semi-naked, non-surfing girls.

These images create a culture in which boys, men and even girls reading your magazine will think that all girls are valued for is their appearance.

My posse of female surfers and I are going to spread the word and refuse to purchase or promote Tracks magazine. It’s a shame that you can’t see the benefits of an inclusive surf culture that in fact, would add a whole lot of numbers to your subscription list.

I urge you to give much more coverage to the exciting women surfers out there, not just scantily clad women (who may be great on the waves, but we’ll never know).

I would subscribe to your magazine if only I felt that women were valued as athletes instead of dolls. This change would only bring good.
Olive

I like this girl.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old white dude panics about fanfiction, gets most of it hilariously wrong, and for once the comments are way better than the article.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Old white dude panics about fanfiction, gets most of it hilariously wrong, and for once the comments are way better than the article.

Amgad~ Sorry Samsally, I need to do a quote spammmmm

Quote:
One 13-year-old FanFic author I spoke to, in person, described himself as alienated at school; he was ignoring school work, shunning friends and all to produce vast amounts of FanFic for a particular site.

Sounds like he's not feeling okay in his skin, maybe y'now, get him some support? Maybe he's being bullied? No? Okay, let's pretend fanfiction is the bad guy here.

Quote:
Truly, 300,000 words is a monumental amount of time and effort, and sadly most of it is wasted as the vast majority of FanFic authors will not go on to write in any professional sense.

CITATION NEEDED. It's because of fanfiction that I started considering writing professionally. My English VASTLY improved when people criticized my harry potter nonsense.

Quote:
the sexualisation of fictional works written originally for children is currently one of the most popular genres of FanFic.

This guy should never discover DeviantArt. Or 4chan.

Quote:
There are no controls as to who can read this material and also no controls as to who can write it;

Dude, on places like Fanfiction.net you can select what ratings you want to see. Fucking research man.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda reminds me of the attitude about Zynga 4-5 years ago: "This is the future of video games. EVERYONE will be ONLY playing these games." I may be exaggerating, but only slightly. For the most part, it just made more people playing video games.

With fanfics, there are people who wouldn't read other things but read fanfics. This guy is just whining about something being different and it makes him look like an asshat.

Also, any serious discussion about the "worthwhileness" is disingenuous if they don't give AT LEAST lip service to 50 Shades of Grey.

*edit also, yeah, those comments are AWESOME!
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Additionally, the cost to their private lives, their social development and their social interaction skills outside of internet forums can only be detrimental, not to mention the diversion from study, which could have a huge effect on their college and career prospects.

isn't this pretty much what has been said about every teen fad since, like, forever?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part really did give the whole article that charming old man shaking his cane at the children in his yard sort of feeling, didn't it?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But think of the consequences! With all this widespread interest in literary activities, soon kids will be dropping out of college to read!
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
But think of the consequences! With all this widespread interest in literary activities, soon kids will be dropping out of college to read!

come on now
I'm applying to things
I'm not just reading fanfics

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 264 of 288

Jump to: