welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6084
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
And that, like, isn't a rhetorical question or anything. I'm genuinely curious why you brought him up.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_%28countermeasure%29
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

he went the HxH route, which was something I considered specifically stipulating against, but someone who goes the HxH route will choose that no matter what you say and refuse to even consider the actual options because thinking about that stuff is painful for them



Wait, no, this was completely unfair. I retract this statement, and I apologize. To the cartoon.


I shouldn't have called Thy's answer the HxH route, because in HxH the question was simpler (A or B) and the answer given was better. In the question posed in HxH, the choices are not in any objective way unequal --basically just one life or another, both people close to you--, but their presentation of the question was loaded. The answer given there wasn't actually "both, because I'm just that arrogant," although I'm sure that was considered as a possibility, rather it was a silent, "there is no right answer given only that much information, even if you weren't restricting my answer set in such a way -- neither answer is right, so I will say nothing," and in the end the protagonist still thinks that the question is worth deeper consideration, since in a real situation, Inaction would not be an option.


Congratulations, Thy, your "outside the box" answer was substantially worse than a cartoon's.

For full disclosure, my main motivation for asking was curiosity about how you, Thy, judge a wide scale of values. I had some idea of tying it back to the original discussion, but that was secondary. Since your answer was so empty, my curiosity was sorely disappointed.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:

10^77 times larger than Earth


Your calculation is off by nearly a googol orders of magnitude, by the way. I said googolplex, not googol. I'm a bit disappointed that Wolfram Alpha doesn't even bother with numbers that large* -- you'd think they'd switch to up-arrow notation or something after exponential notation stopped working**.

The ratio of human mass to mass of earth is, 10^(-23), so a googolplex people would weigh as much as 10^(10^100 - 23) Earths, unless they lived their lives in an emulator or something. Of course, in this particular hypothetical they would be spread out such that they wouldn't implode under their collective gravity.


Such a quantity of people is so far beyond comprehension that it doesn't even matter, though. The essence of the problem is the same whether it's dealing with 10^10^10 people or 10^10^10^10 people. It might be ridiculous to look at such extremes, but extremes are useful for highlighting concepts.



* Wait, never mind, I fed it pure exponents and it spat out a "power of ten representation" of 10^10^10^2 for both 10^10^100 and 10^(10^100 -23), meaning that according to Wolfram's rounding algorithm, the mass is not even different to a degree worth noting in your numeric answer whether each person weighs as much as a human body or each person weighs as much as the Earth. That's the scale.

** I then proceeded to feed it much larger numbers. It never switched to up-arrow notation, even when the power of ten representation went off of the page. I am still disappointed. EVERYTHING IS DISAPPOINTING TODAY.***

*** No, just the things in this thread. I accomplished quite a lot and even got some good news!****

**** too many asterisks, though

_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17309
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*************************************************************************************
***********************you can never have too many asterisks!******************************
*************************************************************************************

for one thing, you could have used asterisks for all that math:10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*wait how big was that?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10 = 10^10

multiplication is repeated addition
exponentiation is repeated multiplication
tetration is repeated exponentiation, and the point where Wolfram Alpha apparently stops trying


By the way, Thy:
Quote:
But that's really not why I'm replying to this so much as (b):
What in the world do you mean by read up on your Godel? Do the fundementals of mathematical logic and axiom systems have anything at all to do with the current situation?
And that, like, isn't a rhetorical question or anything. I'm genuinely curious why you brought him up.


If you explain this satisfactorily I'll be a lot less disappointed.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12263
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
tetration is repeated exponentiation

Is that where you keep dripping the reagent until it changes to pink?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia had the same thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetration

Quote:
Not to be confused with titration.

_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10588
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Samsally wrote:
In other news, this is about as nauseating as the title implies: Why you shouldn't report sexual harassment

i skimmed, it made me too angry.


Read this examination of the author instead. It's far less rage inducing and helps show how Trunk is kinda broken and crazy and overall kinda misses the point on a lot of things-- she's the Thy Brilliance of the business journalism world:
http://www.theweeklings.com/sbotton/2013/05/27/the-lurking-anti-feminist/

And I'm sure no one will go there, but stay the fuck away from her blog. I'm not even gonna post a link to it.


Your Ad hominem attacks only make you look bitter for having lost the argument btw.

What argument? I engaged you at some point about something?

If I could use an adjective to describe her it'd be "Thy Brilliance"-esque, meaning "having observed qualities and similarities to Sinfest forum goer Thy Brilliance." I could say someone else is the "WoC of the ______" or the "Him of the _______". In comparing Trunks to you I called her "the Thy Brilliance of the business journalism world," which you feel is an ad hominem, but I argue that it's a fair and unbiased comparison.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor



Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 318

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now, Darq. Obviously, it's an Ad Hominem because you only did it about Thy. To be fair about it, you obviously have to tell each of us what our equivalent in the Business Journalism world is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo! ooo!
can I be Lauren Smiley?

I don't know anything about her; I just like her name.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9559

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUSH UP ON UR GODEL GUYS

i would like to say i'm pretty proud that i pretty much nailed my prediction \o/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
BRUSH UP ON UR GODEL GUYS

i would like to say i'm pretty proud that i pretty much nailed my prediction \o/


Isn't that like predicting the sun will rise in the east and set in the west?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6514

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I had hope that The Other Woman wouldn't be completely terrible but apparently it was extremely misplaced.

Part of me wants to be like 'no this idea could still be rewritten to not be soul-suckingly awful' but another part of me is like 'even if i did that nobody would read it or care'.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17309
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

If you explain this satisfactorily I'll be a lot less disappointed.


oh dear....if you are depending on Thy explaining something satisfactorily (or even explaining something he's been challenged on at all) to relieve you of disappointment....i'm afraid you are going to have a very sad life.

better to look for something with a much higher probability of occurrence, like the rediscovery of the dodo.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 733

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Sam wrote:
BRUSH UP ON UR GODEL GUYS

i would like to say i'm pretty proud that i pretty much nailed my prediction \o/


Isn't that like predicting the sun will rise in the east and set in the west?


In a couple of hours, the sun will rise!
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Page 273 of 316

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group