welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281 ... 318, 319, 320  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, and his father was british - and you know those crazy brits!

does that mean we can go back to blaming him, because he wasn't really an american?

one had hoped, after sandy hook, and the guy who shot up - what was it, the navy yard? - that people (or at least the politicians) would take a proper look at all the issues with mental health here (like: even people with histories of violent episodes can't get care!). it would be really, really nice if there were some discussion about how some fringe groups can really twist up "normal" people, let alone people with mental issues, and maybe take a look at their role in encouraging less-than-stable people to act out in really bad ways (and yes, bill o'reilly of "killer tiller" fame, i'm looking at you).

it would really, really be nice if we can decide that there is some point at which specific people really, really should not be able to go out and buy all the arms and ammunition they want. mental health is not an ideal point, but if it is a point we can start at... i just really want there to be a starting point, somewhere.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to put this in the gun thread but thought it fit better here:

Lessons From a Day Spent With the UCSB Shooter's Awful Friends

http://jezebel.com/lessons-from-a-day-spent-with-the-ucsb-shooters-awful-f-1582884301/+sarah-hedgecock

Quote:
Tuesday morning, I logged into a chat room full of refugees of the since shuttered PUAHate forum once frequented by University of California-Santa Barbara shooter Elliott Rodger. And I stayed there, silently watching them, for 8 hours. Here's what I learned.

PUAHate, as other outlets have discussed, is an offshoot of the Pick Up Artist community populated by men (and, allegedly, women) who believe Pick Up Artistry to be a sham waste of money not because women are more than "targets" and "prey," but because women are fucking hopeless cunts who can't be convinced to give nice guys a chance. Women, argue PUAHaters, will only go out with good looking alpha males and would never look twice at anyone who isn't a musclebound dreamboat with a six-figure income, and most men will never be those things, and so the world is against them and life is unfair. From an observer's perspective, PUAHate is a group of self-pitying babies who believe they're entitled to women who are much more attractive than they are.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
To go off in yet another direction:
Pakistani Woman Stoned To Death By Family Outside Courtroom
Quote:
A 25-year-old pregnant woman has been stoned to death by her relatives outside a courtroom in Lahore, Pakistan a so-called honor killing meant to punish her for marrying against her family's will.

Farzana Iqbal was preparing to testify in defense of her husband, Mohammad Iqbal, whom her father had accused of kidnapping the young woman. The father had insisted instead that she marry her cousin.

Turns out the hustband her family didn't approve of had already killed his previous wife so that he could marry the woman who wound up stoned to death.

The worst part is that he's really open about killing his previous wife so he could move on to the next, and that victim's family dropped the charges afterwards so there's no chance of him going to jail over it.

So she eloped with someone who murdered his last wife to marry her, and then her family murdered her for not marrying her cousin like they wanted.

Where does the fucked-upness end?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is bragging about how powerful he is, I don't believe he cared for either woman.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO there's this (NSFW):

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/scout-willis-topless-instagram-protest

Which then lead me to this (possible NSFW):

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/breastfeeding-mom-kicked-off-instagram

Sigh . . . more of "boobs are bad, guns are good" mentality hiding behind a thinly veiled justification:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
SO there's this (NSFW):

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/scout-willis-topless-instagram-protest

Which then lead me to this (possible NSFW):

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/breastfeeding-mom-kicked-off-instagram

Sigh . . . more of "boobs are bad, guns are good" mentality hiding behind a thinly veiled justification:

I'm confused. What is wrong here? To quote:
Quote:
In turn, Instagram reinstated Bays' account, and explained that they disabled it not because they're against breastfeeding, but because, as a large company, they can't investigate all complaints one by one. Instead, they automatically disable the accounts that multiple users complain about, and then revisit the issue later. "Accounts may be temporarily disabled by our automated systems," they said, "but are quickly restored upon further review. We realize this might cause a temporary inconvenience, but it is an important safeguard for our community."

Someone posted a picture of breastfeeding, a bunch of people reported it, account got auto-disabled, account got re-enabled when it was confirmed there wasn't an issue. Instagram has a clear policy on it - breast feeding is alright, nudes aren't. And I don't see a mention of guns in either article. Do people not understand how automated systems work? It doesn't matter if the reports are wrong, it just checks how many there are and disables your account if there are too many. It wasn't like somebody was sitting there and went AHAHAH I WILL BAN YOU BECAUSE BREASTFEEDING while laughing maniacally.

It's stupid that people reported the picture in the first place but considering Instagram has a policy on it at all (and allows it) they're still miles ahead of a lot of businesses.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great tweet by Anthony Burch, the lead writer of the game Borderlands 2. No idea if he's quoting something else but it's pretty nice:

reverendanthony wrote:
1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted. If you feel the anti-MRA stuff is overblown, imagine your life being a game of russian roulette
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 but I met 'feminist' x who did mean thing y
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chart sucks.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather be an egalitarian.

Or an unlabeled person who isn't a selfish asshole, that works too.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could

Echo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chart slightly missed an opportunity by not really following any flow chart format I recognise, but there's nothing wrong with the intent. Indeed, I sometimes reference it, as it saves time.

Also, I'm wondering how "egalitarian" differs from "feminist", if it also covers belief in equal rights and opportunities.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egalitarianism doesn't include many of the the doctrines of feminism, and it doesn't focus on the issues of any one group. It's right there in the root word -- equality for all people.

It doesn't limit itself to gender issues. Even if you say feminism should incorporate intersectionality, it doesn't, always, and has always been focused on women's issues. Egalitarianism is intersectional by default.

Some feminists get angry at self-proclaimed egalitarians because they don't necessarily focus as much on feminism's pet causes. Also, some people call themselves egalitarians simply because they find some aspect of feminism to be distasteful, which further invokes the ire of feminists.

Egalitarians don't necessarily believe that there is patriarchy, rape culture (as described by feminism), or a wage gap -- in Western society, anways. Some of them think that activism should be focused on equality under the law, and disapprove of tumblr-brand Social Justice Warriors.

Many things that feminists might see as women's issues, an egalitarian would see as human issues.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
That chart slightly missed an opportunity by not really following any flow chart format I recognise, but there's nothing wrong with the intent. Indeed, I sometimes reference it, as it saves time.

Also, I'm wondering how "egalitarian" differs from "feminist", if it also covers belief in equal rights and opportunities.

Imo there's not much difference - some people call themselves egalitarian because they feel feminism is too focused on women (which I can understand) or because the name sounds too feminine (which is problematic and goes against the core of feminism and egalitarianism).

It's also because media and groups like Fox News and MRAs constantly try to give feminism a bad name and pulling out extreme examples to paint a really broad group that makes people deter from checking out feminism and going for something that sounds just as good.

I think in the end the title doesn't matter as long as the goal is the same - equality for everyone. After all feminism and egalitarianism are ideas and movements - the people in them individually choose how far they want to go and what they want to do with it.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really shouldn't leave a reply box open for hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281 ... 318, 319, 320  Next
Page 280 of 320

Jump to: