welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, fuck you very much supreme court - i thought you were finished screwing over women for the year. seems not

basically, the government has set up a way for employers (in this case, a christian college) to have their insurance companies cover contraception, rather than the company itself paying for it. it involves them filling out some forms and sending them to the insurance co. and the government; it's the system that alito said in the hobby lobby case allowed women to be covered if their employer had religious objections.

well, now they say it's too much of a religious burden for them to even fill out the forms, so they don't have to:
Quote:
The difference between a form sent to insurance companies and plan administrators on the one hand and a letter sent to the government on the other mattered, the college told the justices, “because it believes, as a religious matter, that signing the form would be impermissibly facilitating abortions and therefore forbidden,” the brief said.
“To be sure, free citizens in a diverse nation will have different views about whether signing the form makes someone complicit,” the college’s brief said. “But that is a question of ‘religious and moral philosophy’ for Wheaton,” not the government. The quoted phrase came from the Hobby Lobby decision.

well, the guys ruled in their favor.

which got the following response:
Quote:
“Those who are bound by our decisions usually believe they can take us at our word,” the dissent, written by Justice Sotomayor, said. “Not so today.”

....the men are united in being not only men, but also catholics - am i right on that? this is starting to sound like a church vs state issue.....
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason why contraception pills should be over the counter like they are in Canada. It would make them more affordable and far less burdensome to obtain.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breyer is Jewish, and Sotomayor is Roman Catholic. Not quite a perfect sex/religion divide.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, your anti-preggers pills AREN'T over the counter? The fuck?

That seems like basic over-the-counter territory. Like cold medicine, condoms, or shaving cream. What the hell kinda pharmacy asks for a prescription for that shit?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:

That seems like basic over-the-counter territory. Like cold medicine, condoms, or shaving cream. What the hell kinda pharmacy asks for a prescription for that shit?

Throws a little more perspective on the struggle doesn't it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:

Throws a little more perspective on the struggle doesn't it.

It's bad policy under all viewpoints. Even if you wanted to be a callous sociopathic money-driven asshole about it, do you know how big a seller anti-preggers pills are? By limiting it to prescription only that's bucko bucks the governmen is just leaving on the table in sales tax revenue, not to mention the pharmaceutical corp incentive. All to increase the general population of fatherless bastards and other unexpected children, since it sure as shit doesn't stop people from fuckin'.

While it doesn't make it justified I can at least understand profit-motive based evils. I can't even understand this.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faith based evils dont have to make sense

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the faith motive gets us coming and going. They oppose birth control they view (often wrongly) as producing abortions, they oppose comprehensive sex education to teach kids how to use birth control, they oppose having to offer insurance that makes many forms of birth control affordable to women with low income, and they oppose abortions of unwanted pregnancies, all of which increases the likelihood of women having kids they don't want... and they oppose welfare to support those families, expansion of Medicaid and Medicare to help them be healthy, increases in the minimum wage, comprehensive sex education for the children of unintended pregnancies...
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, as usual, if anyone wants a reference on their Canadian immigration forms... because unless you have $500,000 to "donate" to the government you're going to need to get the qualification for legal permanent immigration somehow. Or you could illegally immigrate, I've been thinking of starting a bushweed operation and I need labour that doesn't have technical legal rights as well as connections within the US for sales, although if you had those you probably wouldn't need my help to immigrate.

But seriously, I could get double my money on the pound if I had a decent Americano contact in New York State.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have pharmacists who want to refuse to dole out even prescribed birth control, because of their religious beliefs about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birth control pills are also not sold over the counter here because it depends on how heavy a pill you need. Usually one trip to the doctor is enough to evaluate what your body can handle and you can go to the pharmacy whenever you want.

Despite what hobby lobby thinks, the pills are also great for counter PCOS and huge mood swings.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also useful for periods that are horribly painful and endometriosis (which is also painful).

Also, most contraception (including, if I recall, 3 of the 4 objected to) don't inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg. Most prevent ovulation, meaning there is no egg to be fertilized. The copper IUD (ParaGard in the US) interferes with both sperm motility and implantation of the egg.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat opposed to birth control pills being sold Over The Counter, BUT! I realize this is largely due to emotional reasons-basically, one of the generic's of Yaz *very likely* caused my then-girlfriend, now-wife to, well. Have a stroke. At 23. (She is COMPLETELY FINE now, mind: We were *in* the hospital when it became clear it was a stroke, and not just Bell's Palsy, and there are no linger after-effects. Well. Save that she thinks she swallows slightly differnetly)

And I guess I worry that without doctor's visits surrounding birth control, folks might not be as aware of that possibility? Or know what birth control would be best for them?

BUT, I also realize this is largely an emotional reaction, and does not necessarily have a place in the greater debate about OTC birth control.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent reason to be concerned, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has made a DIY guide to performing an abortion - https://web.archive.org/web/20060226214705/http:/mollysavestheday.blogspot.com/2006/02/for-women-of-south-dakota-abortion.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 285 of 288

Jump to: