welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the DIY thing needs to include that you can use fish antibiotics on the cheap

of course this all just glosses over the fact that it's absurd that in our country any of this should be considered to be done pressed by any necessity at all. abortions should be performed by doctors. abortions should be available as a medical procedure to anyone who needs them. antibiotics should not be behind a huge cost paywall so as to need to get identical versions of the antibiotics for fish.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Despite what hobby lobby thinks, the pills are also great for counter PCOS and huge mood swings.

Just to clarify, Hobby Lobby apparently only had a problem with IUDs and the Plan B and Ella 'morning after' pills. They had no objection to 16 of 20 forms of birth control that were approved for health insurances to cover.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article says what is and isn't covered: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/30/morning-after-iuds/11768653/

I'm glad to see that not all birth control is subject to this law. It's still awful because of the precedent it sets, and because there's no reason they should have a say at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://leighalexander.net/but-what-can-be-done-dos-and-donts-to-combat-online-sexism/

Leigh Alexander basically nails the do's and don'ts of being supportive (or at the very least, non-antagonistic) of women's personal/societal rights.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Birth control pills are also not sold over the counter here because it depends on how heavy a pill you need. Usually one trip to the doctor is enough to evaluate what your body can handle and you can go to the pharmacy whenever you want.

Despite what hobby lobby thinks, the pills are also great for counter PCOS and huge mood swings.

I daresay this sounds ... sensible! (gasp, healthcare etc).
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
the DIY thing needs to include that you can use fish antibiotics on the cheap

of course this all just glosses over the fact that it's absurd that in our country any of this should be considered to be done pressed by any necessity at all. abortions should be performed by doctors. abortions should be available as a medical procedure to anyone who needs them. antibiotics should not be behind a huge cost paywall so as to need to get identical versions of the antibiotics for fish.

Um.

Given that we're seeing a lot of the nasty, drug-resistant strains of things like TB popping out of countries where antibiotics AREN'T tightly controlled-

No. Antibiotics, while they should not be behind a huge paywall, should not be OTC. In fact, we should ALSO stop using them in our food supply in low-doses to make the cattle fatter, but that's another issue altogether-
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the point, is that our healthcare system is so dysfunctional that you have people regularly self-treating themselves with fish antibiotics. our system encourages dysfunctional behavior which progresses the spread of antibiotic resistant disease.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Birth control pills are also not sold over the counter here because it depends on how heavy a pill you need. Usually one trip to the doctor is enough to evaluate what your body can handle and you can go to the pharmacy whenever you want.

I daresay this sounds ... sensible! (gasp, healthcare etc).

well, it _is_ sensible.

one thing about leaving the pill as a prescription - it is way easier to get your insurance to cover the cost if it is a prescription. and if you need the pill and ONLY the pill because of polycystic ovarian syndrome or endometriosis or heavy periods or whatever, it kinda helps if insurance covers the cost.

not to say that insurance shouldn't help if you are doing it for honest-to-god birth control as well - just a reminder that there are other medical uses for these things.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the underbelly of sexism and misogyny turn girls off of competitive online gaming and "e-sports" tournament participation?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ew, e-sports

sounds almost as bad as regular sports
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Does the underbelly of sexism and misogyny turn girls off of competitive online gaming and "e-sports" tournament participation?

It's not even really an underbelly, it's a glowing malignant pustule staring you straight in the face. Some scenes are better than others, some are worse, some are just fucking horrifying. The sheer amount of shit female streamers put up with (and you basically have to stream to go pro and stay pro) is goddamn mindboggling. And there's no fucking excuse for it. This isn't traditional sports where you can at least make an argument based on sexual dimorphism, it's just idiots claiming legitimacy while pissing on the spirit of fair competition and the culture of HUR HUR WIMMINS DON'T GAME GUD SHOW ME UR BOOBIES.

/rant

Last edited by Arc Tempest on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely related.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest said it best so I'll add some websites showing the things women gamers encounter - usually just by saying they're women and talking on a mic.

http://www.notinthekitchenanymore.com/

http://fatuglyorslutty.com/

And now for some situations where people had no problem being bleeping obvious sexist pricks.

http://kotaku.com/5889415/this-is-what-a-gamers-sexual-harassment-looks-like

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130525-Depression-Quest-Dev-Faces-Harassment-after-Steam-Submission

http://www.themarysue.com/the-all-too-familiar-harassment-against-feminist-frequency-and-what-the-gaming-community-can-do-about-it/

http://www.themarysue.com/mighty-no-9-dina-abou-karam/

(Urgh the Mary Sue has become such an ugly site)

Last but not least feel free to identify as a woman in XBox Live or MOBAs like LoL or DOTA2. Like a casual correction when someone calls you dude. The best part was when I got a 10 minute speech in chat of what an evil whore I was. I regret not making screenshots but I was too surprised.

Usually the whole situation is correlated with people saying: If you don't want harassment, don't say you're a woman! + Men get harassment too! because yeah men totes get harassed saying they're men. /le sarcasms

Oh and don't be anything but white either because hoshit here come to racist jokes.

Last but not least: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Scarlett
Scarlett is a professional Starcraft 2 player and a trans woman. When she plays her chats are heavily moderated because people spew endless amount of hate.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I already know women face disproportionate harassment and are singled out for it because they're women. I've spent too much time over the last week arguing with people who say this isn't a problem or that the problem is best solved by (basically) ignoring the bigotry behind it an just cracking down on harassment in general.

What I'm basically asking is whether this kind of horseshit is a demonstrable cause of the gender disparity in "e-sports," and whether it's due to the blatant hostility (and implicit acceptance thereof) that turns many girls away from the scene who otherwise would have participated.
There was a lot of coverage of things like #1reasonwhy last year that was mostly focused on insiders in the gaming industry. I'm wondering if there's a similar collection of experiences that's more from the players; but also something with more "credibility" than a blog like FUoS/NitKA because it's too easy for asshats to dismiss those as 'manhaters with a chip on their shoulder.'

Any studies specifically about this? Mainstream press? It'd be really great if there was a focus on the different levels of harassment directed at women gamers versus the male gamers and if that drives/keeps them out of the scene.

Related, one of the studies I've been relying on to make the point that women are harassed disproportionately is this one which started making the rounds online a few months ago, but now it seems to be trapped behind a paywall. I don't suppose anybody has a copy to share?
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tell everyone that if they see harassment they need to tell people to cut that shit out loudly because ignoring it or staying silent basically gives the harassers the idea that others are okay with it.

As for your question, I have found some studies/articles that include links:

Study of harassment online: http://www.onlineharassmentdata.org/

Article: http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/women-arent-welcome-internet-72170/

Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/women-online-harassment_b_2567898.html

I think this one here is the one most relevant for you:

Study of harassment in gaming: http://blog.pricecharting.com/2012/09/emilyami-sexism-in-video-games-study.html

Quote:
Women were also much more likely to quit playing a game because of sex-based harassment than were men. 35.8% of women reported having quit playing temporarily because of sexism, and 9.6% reported that they quit playing a certain game permanently because of harassment. The numbers for men in the same areas were 11.7% and 2.6% respectively – about a third of the percentage for women in each case.

Quote:
Another polarizing question was “Have you ever obscured or lied about your sex while playing video games to avoid unwanted attention or harassment?” 67.5% of women said that they had obscured their sex. Only 5.8% of men said the same. That means that women are nearly 12 times as likely to feel the need to conceal their sex while playing video games as men are. Two men sent clarifications to me regarding why they conceal their sex sometimes when they play video games. Both prefer to play with female avatars, and both have previously been harassed because they identify as male but play female characters. Again, they are being harassed because they don't conform to normative masculinity.

I'll see if I can dig up anything more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 286 of 314

Jump to: