welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

I didn't read any comments

I didn't even click on the link

in fact, my boredom filter mentally sorted the entire thing into "don't care" the instant I parsed "this is a link to something related to sports", "first female something-something in an organization of male professional sports", "first first first minority whatever" out of the link text
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jabberjay



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 259

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit... your filter and mine must work on similar software.

At least for sports-related and "first" related filtering. Maybe it's a plugin?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An explanation of why sexual harassment may be hard for some people to notice: http://www.tickld.com/x/next-time-someone-says-women-arent-victims-of-harassment-show-them
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jabberjay



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 259

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Everything seems fine about it, except for this. There is an answer to that question that goes beyond "misogyny." Male-on-male violence is the most common form of violence on earth, and that apology to the boyfriend could save him from being socked in the face. Should he apologise to the woman? From a moral standpoint, yes. From a "I don't want to be punched in the face tonight" standpoint, possibly not. It's a tossup between whether the boyfriend perceives any continued interaction with a woman he considers his own as a threat to his dominance over said woman. Some boyfriends would throw a punch for not apologising to the girlfriend.

Most men are not like this, I never have to worry about something like this at parties that are just nerdfriends, but the more macho types who think with their balls instead of their frontal lobes might even deck another man for just looking at "his" woman. If doing the right thing means asking reasonable men to increase their risk of unreasonable men punching them in the face, then maybe it isn't exactly worthwhile in this instance.

But yeah, at least 90% of the time apologise to the woman first and then maybe the boyfriend after. A proper risk assessment can usually be done at a glance and probably only 10% of men are unreasonable face-punchers, at least around these parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of what you say negates the fact that continuing to hit on a woman until her 'owner' shows up is misogynistic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12244
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the point is that the guy wouldn't take no for an answer and it required the presence of another guy with some kind of "claim" on her to resolve the situation. He didn't respect her wishes while continually hitting on her, but he respected her male SO's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2758
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is not a good gaming day for me. There's so much rage in different outlets of the information world and it's making my head spin.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i'm trying to find sympathy for whatsername, zoe caldana? But really cheating on your boyfriend with the people who review your terrible game and your married boss is a pretty terrible thing to do when you're presenting yourself as a feminist icon.

Edit: Quinn, zoe quinn.

And yep, I'm now seeing people defending fucking your boss, and the people who review your games as a personal matter.

Dear feminism, your tea party is taking over your movement.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2758
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly there's not much sense to be made. They say she cheated on the boyfriend with 5 guys, now it's just 1 guy, oh and she scammed everyone but they are sending her death threats and pfpfpfpfpf

Like shit I dont't think she's a saint but shiiit I think the sexists are rolling on this case because people are posting her nude photos and making fun of her tits? Like holy shit how can you consider yourself above the person you're shaming?

There's no feminism to be had here, it's pure chaos.

Also gotta love the people yelling: But I'm mad at journalism corruption thus I must call Zoe a whore! No, why don't you get mad at the, I dunno, journalists?? pfffff

But I'm so done with this topic really. Whenever I see people saying how we should try to shut her down because she's setting back women, gaming, feminism, whatever, I say fuck you for thinking we're still a hivemind. She's not even a big deal, she's just a free game indie dev. Putting up fake reviews of her game isn't brave or revolutionary, christ.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's generally plenty of sense to be made, you just have to restrict yourself to the screencaptures of the conversations she had.

1. She slept with her married boss.
2. She gaslit her ex
3. She slept with people in a position to steer the reviews of her game, which i've played and isn't a game, its like a choose your own adventure novel.

I'm sorry but we pillory men who do this too, because its unethical. The fact that there are stupid sexist assholes turning it into a discussion of her nude pictures doesn't change that fact.

Defending shit like this is why the whole #womenagainstfeminism thing exists.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12244
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
I'm sorry but we pillory men who do this too, because its unethical.

I'm hard-pressed to come up with examples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The president who got impeached for it?

Mark Foley
Larry Craig
Elliot Spitzer
Berlusconi
Gary Hart
Moshe Katsav
Jeremy Thorpe
John Profumo

You aren't looking very hard Wheels.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12244
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
The president who got impeached for it?

Mark Foley
Larry Craig
Elliot Spitzer
Berlusconi
Gary Hart
Moshe Katsav
Jeremy Thorpe
John Profumo

You aren't looking very hard Wheels.

Kind of a different dynamic. Admittedly I'm not familiar with all of those names, but for several of them the balance of power was absolutely inverted. Bill Clinton didn't sleep his way to the top. Berlusconi didn't fuck for votes. Mark Foley didn't have the interns put in a good word for him in exchange for dickings. I can't really think of a guy who exchanged sexual favors for good press. Most of those people abused their existing positions of power to leverage favors from underlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
The president who got impeached for it?

Mark Foley
Larry Craig
Elliot Spitzer
Berlusconi
Gary Hart
Moshe Katsav
Jeremy Thorpe
John Profumo

You aren't looking very hard Wheels.

Kind of a different dynamic. Admittedly I'm not familiar with all of those names, but for several of them the balance of power was absolutely inverted. Bill Clinton didn't sleep his way to the top. Berlusconi didn't fuck for votes. Mark Foley didn't have the interns put in a good word for him in exchange for dickings. I can't really think of a guy who exchanged sexual favors for good press. Most of those people abused their existing positions of power to leverage favors from underlings.


Sexual misconduct in the workplace is sexual misconduct in the workplace.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12244
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Sexual misconduct in the workplace is sexual misconduct in the workplace.

That really doesn't seem to be the core of the shitstorm here, though. You can't really compare Bill Clinton using his power as an official to get away with blowjobs from interns and a game developer offering sexual favors for good reviews. That's why I said I can't think of examples that compare. How many examples do we have where a guy got shit for sleeping around to get professional favors instead of a guy using their professional status to get sexual favors?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 289 of 314

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group