welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 296, 297, 298  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we pillory men for doing the same thing, surely you can point to some examples?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You chose not to take into account all the men I listed who got hung for unethical sexual behavior in the workplace. If we don't surely you can list some examples of men doing the exact same thing, having it go public and not being pilloried.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
You chose not to take into account all the men I listed who got hung for unethical sexual behavior in the workplace.

I didn't refuse to take it into account, I addressed your point. I'm saying the situations, the offenses, and the reactions are different from this case, which YOU are choosing to ignore. I mean, you're literally deciding not to deal with it and everybody can see that.

Quote:
If we don't surely you can list some examples of men doing the exact same thing, having it go public and not being pilloried.

Your Fallacy Is Burden of Proof.
If you claim men get the same reaction for the same offense, prove it. Give examples. I'm not doing your homework for you.

So go ahead, list some examples where men exchanged sexual favors for professional favors and raised a shitstorm because of it. Examples of men abusing their already-secured professional situations to have sex with other people as an end in itself isn't the same thing, and neither are sex scandals where someone simple has an affair completely unrelated to their work or product or whatevs. Especially not when the scandal is a scandal because it involved teh ghay.

You should be glad I'm just focusing on this one thing for now, instead of your sneering, Limbaugh-like distortions of posts on Jezebel.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Fuck off Wheels. Sexual misconduct in the workplace is sexual misconduct in the workplace, the same sexist shitheads attacking this woman for what she did attacked the women there too, unless you'd like to make the claim that Monica lewinsky totally wasn't mocked and pilloried as well.

Here it is in shorthand.

1. It is unethical to fuck your married boss

2. It is unethical to fuck journalists working for an organization reviewing your work.

3. Because these things are unethical, and because powerdynamics notwithstanding similar unethical sexual behavior in the workplace is routinely pilloried in the public, there is nothing particularly sexist about being outraged by it.

As for my "Limbaugh like distortions" Well, I know my beliefs better than you, and those articles and the thousnads of comments below them speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Sexual misconduct in the workplace is sexual misconduct in the workplace, the same sexist shitheads attacking this woman for what she did attacked the women there too, unless you'd like to make the claim that Monica lewinsky totally wasn't mocked and pilloried as well.

Um, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of arguing that men get equal pillorying?

Quote:
Here it is in shorthand.
1. It is unethical to fuck your married boss
2. It is unethical to fuck journalists working for an organization reviewing your work.
3. Because these things are unethical, and because powerdynamics notwithstanding similar unethical sexual behavior in the workplace is routinely pilloried in the public, there is nothing particularly sexist about being outraged by it.

I'm not even getting into whether what she did was ethical. I'm pointing out that the Intarwebs Raeg over it doesn't seem to have an equal counterpart in situations where men do the same thing. And the key point: when they do the SAME thing.
The issue here is not "there was some unethical sexy times!" The issue is that people are all like "this woman slutted it up for good reviews!" You claimed we pillory men who "do this." If you can find an example where a guy did the same kind of thing and the reaction was the same, go for it. If not, you're aren't comparing apples to apples. A general instance of sexual misconduct without the dynamics at play in this case is not the same kind of situation, so bringing up cases of e.g. Mark Foley pederasting up his pages doesn't work.

Quote:
As for my "Limbaugh like distortions" Well, I know my beliefs better than you, and those articles and the thousnads of comments below them speak for themselves.

For example, I can't square your summary of this link with the actual contents.
Quote:
Here's a prominent modern feminist website explaining why it's ok to be a douche to people for things outside their control because patriarchy

I read the post and it's more like a black guy explaining to a white guy who always jumps in and complains "hey, white people have problems too!" why those problems are not the same as pervasive racism against black people. If you want me to believe it's instead giving people carte blanche to be douchebags to men because they are men instead of women, or whatever, go right ahead. Refer to (preferably quote) the parts of the post that support your point.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m pretty much uninterested in engaging you further Wheels. You are and have always been the most pedantic piece of shit on this forum.

You win, congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pardon me for asking you to back up the things you say with such conviction.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is 'gaslighting' the new word du jour
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: not pulling the wool over your eyes nope nosiree bob Reply with quote

That's just what you've been led to believe.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So shit exploded about Zoe Quinn, eh

From secondhand experience I know she's a real super shithead of a person like, amazingly so, she's immensely cruel and manipulative, sometimes straight up abusive. Apparently she was not only cheating on people but she might have also faked a doxxing to discredit one of her critics, or something like that? It is super seriously not something I would put past her.

But at the same time I think it's ridiculous that people are concerned about this tremendously unethical behavior in games journalism. Games "journalism" is utter shit, an amateur-hour advertorial written by enthusiasts, full stop. We didn't need a massive quid pro quo infidelity fest to show that journalistic integrity was compromised in this field. It was already shit.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Sinfest. Long time, no see. Just popping in to say a few things in regard to this Zoe Quinn thing.

Regardless of how her behavior relates to corruption in game journalism (lol?), I have at the very least seen sufficient material to come to the conclusion that she is a pretty terrible human being.

If you haven't heard about her accusations against Wizardchan for "harassing" her, which they didn't, and how it resulted in Wizardchan (a forum for sad older males, many of whom actually do have depression) being bombarded by social justice warriors saying things like "they don't deserve to live" etc. etc...It's really just disgusting. That a person releasing a game, purportedly to raise awareness of depression, would scapegoat a forum full of depressed people in this way...It makes me sick. More of that particular story can be found at http://imgur.com/a/4VOcx.

Furthermore, as a person living with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder; and yes, diagnosed by several different therapists, not some bullshit self-diagnosis), I actually find her game Depression Quest a little offensive. It seems to suggest that there is only one method to cope with MDD; adherence to this method invariably results in success, and stepping outside this method invariably results in doom. Neither assumption is true, and it paints an inaccurate depiction of the illness.

TL;DR - I don't care about her sexual history or some ridiculous assertions about "corruption in gaming journalism," but I do care about her shitty behavior and her attempt to make a name for herself in the industry with a misleading game about a condition I suffer from.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I don't know if this has been posted somewhere around Sinfest before. I just saw it today. I know we have (had?) a thread for videos, but I thought this was the more appropriate place for it.

Madiha Bhatti
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I didn't refuse to take it into account, I addressed your point. I'm saying the situations, the offenses, and the reactions are different from this case, which YOU are choosing to ignore. I mean, you're literally deciding not to deal with it and everybody can see that.

lelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelel

except when someone does address all your points and completely crushes your argument you pretty much do the same exact thing you massive hypocrite.

careful now wheels, you're digging your own grave.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
So, I don't know if this has been posted somewhere around Sinfest before. I just saw it today. I know we have (had?) a thread for videos, but I thought this was the more appropriate place for it.

Madiha Bhatti

Cool! What a talented lady.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sssooo.

PLayboy.

PLAYBOY

Just, uh. Posted/published this a few days ago, apparently?

http://www.playboy.com/articles/should-you-catcall-her-flowchart
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 296, 297, 298  Next
Page 291 of 298

Jump to: