Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342, 343  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when the ones who are forced to wear it are then not allowed to wear it, they will cease being able to leave their home, or will possibly access a safehouse of some kind.

So if this is implemented, will women in burquas be grabbed off the street and brought to police stations for interrogation? Or will all Muslim women be required to come in for questioning, just to be safe?

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a long story about sex trafficking and rape in the marijuana farms of Humboldt County, California: http://www.wptv.com/longform/in-secretive-marijuana-industry-whispers-of-abuse-and-trafficking

I wonder how this compares with places where growing is legal, and where legal pot is about as cheap as on the black market.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Here's a long story about sex trafficking and rape in the marijuana farms of Humboldt County, California: http://www.wptv.com/longform/in-secretive-marijuana-industry-whispers-of-abuse-and-trafficking

I wonder how this compares with places where growing is legal, and where legal pot is about as cheap as on the black market.

I wish I could say that this surprises me more, but it sadly doesn't. Northern California is not the California most people hear about via the media. Lots of nasty, nasty stories of various degrees of xenophobia, classicism, indentured servitude, political & law enforcement corruption, and on and on. Widespread illegal activities beget others via association; it's analogous to how pot is a gateway drug where it's illegal because it shares proximal access with other illegal substances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the entire State of Jefferson area is pretty fucked in a multitude of ways.
Nargrakhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... SEAT decided to make a sexist car:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/22/autos/cosmopolitan-seat-car/index.html

I think it has more accessory features than Barbie's car. Rolling Eyes
Nargrakhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... was watching some satellite news from Japan, and the SEAT issue was featured. Long story short: Nissan of Japan is breathing a sigh of relief.

Back in 2012, Nissan consumer data revealed 65% of their auto purchases were influenced or directly performed by a woman.

To seize what they saw as an overlooked market, Nissan executed a series of programs called "Ladies First" to appeal to women. Among these were establishing dealerships staffed entirely by women and adding daycare centers to their "mainstream" dealerships:

http://www2.nissan.co.jp/EVENT/LADIESFIRST/

Obviously this also meant Nissan designed cars "for women." As an example: the Nissan DAYZ. It's pronounced as "days" but the name is a play off "daisy" as a feminine version of the Fairlady Z (aka the Z in America)... because that sports car is too manly for women.

http://www2.nissan.co.jp/DAYZ/index.html

Nissan also added three shades of pink to their line up, but on the feminine cars like the DAYZ, not the mantastic Fairlady Z or godzilla GT-R.

Available DAYZ Colors:
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/DAYZ/exterior_color.html

Available Fairlady Z colors:
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/Z/exterior_color.html

The aforementioned dealerships that cater to women, don't offer the Fairlady Z in their listing. Now that doesn't mean they can't get them -- they can -- but it's not presented in their catalogs.

(Car dealerships in Japan are different from the US. There isn't a parking lot full of new vehicles -- Japan doesn't have room for that sort of stuff. Instead there's a closed showroom with maybe a half dozen vehicles max. After seeing the floor example, you order what you want from catalogs and it's sent to the dealership (or your home). Thus not having certain cars in the catalog, limits the choices someone thinks they might have.)

Anyways... what SEAT is doing, is what Nissan has been doing on a much larger scale. However the whole setup has only been done in Japan. Obviously their North American and European divisions told the Tokyo HQ that it wouldn't work overseas.

And... well... they were right.

***EDIT***

Oh... in case anyone was wondering why the Fairlady name was dropped on the American Z version of the series, here's the most commonly told story (source: http://zhome.com/History/FairladyName.html):
Quote:
While Mr. Katsuji Kawamata, the President of Nissan Motors Ltd., was visiting the United States in 1958 he attended a performance, on-Broadway, of the hit musical "My Fair Lady".

A couple of years later (1960), when Nissan was about to introduce its new Sports Car Line, Mr. Kawamata gave it the official name of "Fair Lady". He had been so impressed with the beauty of the music and the leading lady in that Broadway Musical, that he thought everyone would relate the name of Nissans new sports car "the Fair Lady" to the beauty of the music and the leading lady in the play. Indeed, that is what happened in Japan, the name made perfect sense there and was readily accepted in that market.

The Fairlady (now one word) Sport Car line continued to evolve through the 1960's with the introduction of the Fairlady 1500 in Oct. of 1962, then the Fairlady 1600 in 1965. Along with this evolution of its product lines, Nissan Motors was attempting to increase it's exports to the US Market.

Mr. Yutaka Kayatama, then President of Nissan Motors USA, knew that his customers would not accept the name "Fairlady" for a Sports Car here in the USA, so the Sales and Marketing departments in the US had used the cars model numbers for the most part, in advertising and sales promotion, and with the introduction of the new models for 1965 the badging on the front fenders was changed, on the US cars, from "Fairlady" to "Datsun 1600".

When the new HLS30 Sports/GT was designed and built for the US Market - Mr. Katayama suggested that it not be badged as the "Fairlady' in the US. Mr. K. thought that the car should be named something more aggressive, like "Tiger" or "Shark" in keeping with US cultural traditions and values. That idea having been turned down in Japan, he was willing to accept "Datsun 240-Z". The 240 was a shortened version of the 2400cc engine displacement, and the "Z", which had been the new car's product file designation within Nissan's Design Department.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting history on 'fairlady'. i used to work in an aquatic field, so saw plenty of boats designed for speed, and a lot of them had feminine names. i could totally see a racing yacht called "fair lady". but apparently, cars iz diffrunt.

personally, as a female carbuyer, i would be happy with a dealership just taking me seriously as a serious buyer.
krael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nargrakhan wrote:
Well... SEAT decided to make a sexist car:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/22/autos/cosmopolitan-seat-car/index.html

I think it has more accessory features than Barbie's car. Rolling Eyes

hardly the first time a product was developed to target women's shopping behavior (which is of course a stereotype with no base in reality whatsoever; Seat will surely lose money because the car will not be sold)
Nargrakhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. For example the Ford Mustang has been incredibly popular with women as of late:

Mustangs hold a 36% share of sports car purchases by woman this year. The EcoBoost engine, which has four cylinders and is the most efficient option, is more popular among woman drivers than the V6 and V8 engine options. Woman buying Mustangs are also more likely to go with the drop top option than men.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-08/what-do-women-want-this-year-a-ford-mustang

Gender doesn't mean anything. You like the Mustang, because you think it's a badass sports car and can afford it.

Having gender targeted accessories and features is insulting. Whoever thinks only women use a visor mirror, clearly haven't been driving through morning rush hour traffic. Almost everyday I see at least one guy using an electric razor, combing his hair, or fixing his tie in traffic. What's pulled down while doing this? The visor mirror. Rolling Eyes
krael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nargrakhan wrote:
I completely agree. For example the Ford Mustang has been incredibly popular with women as of late:

Mustangs hold a 36% share of sports car purchases by woman this year. The EcoBoost engine, which has four cylinders and is the most efficient option, is more popular among woman drivers than the V6 and V8 engine options. Woman buying Mustangs are also more likely to go with the drop top option than men.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-08/what-do-women-want-this-year-a-ford-mustang

Gender doesn't mean anything. You like the Mustang, because you think it's a badass sports car and can afford it.

Having gender targeted accessories and features is insulting. Whoever thinks only women use a visor mirror, clearly haven't been driving through morning rush hour traffic. Almost everyday I see at least one guy using an electric razor, combing his hair, or fixing his tie in traffic. What's pulled down while doing this? The visor mirror. Rolling Eyes

Calm down! your rush hour example demonstrates that those visor mirrors are not actually restricted to cars reserved for one specific gender, right? The purple car is a commercial product (eddit: I mean trick or ploy), not a philosophical statement about how the world ought to be in terms of gender equality. It was produced because seat's marketing team thinks there ARE women who will like and buy this car, thus winning seat some form of market share or something. To me, this line of thinking seems hardly surprising; it seems to work with items of clothing and cheaper types of accessories just fine too.

and people that would buy a mustang over this far more efficient car are just bad people... I honestly hope that gender equality does not mean some part of the population should start to contribute MORE to the demise of the planet.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i was pretty pleased to find my current car had a vanity mirror in the driver's side visor - i remember when i bought my last car, the salesman proudly showed me the mirror in the _passenger_ side visor - and i'm like "it's my car, i'll be the one driving it - how does a mirror on the passenger side help me?"
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how am I supposed to shave while barrelling down the highway on my way to work in the morning if I don't have a vanity mirror on the driver's side? You expect me to use the rearview mirror, taking it out of alignment? That's unsafe!
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to post something about this new ruling in Pakistan about honour killing that now extended penalty up to life sentencing, yay! baby steps, when I stumbled upon this story :

not being willing to live with in-laws is ground for divorce.

Dowry death is every Indian's newspaper staple, yet the point here was :

Quote:
Justice Anil R Dave, one of the the most senior judges in India, said the wifes desire to leave her in-laws home was inspired by western thought and violated traditional values of Indian Hindus.

Naming and shaming won't help a whit alas; it might even produce the opposite effect sadly.

[edit] oh, and before you say yes, why don't you leave is the answer, may I suggest you first look up about what is the life of a divorced woman in India?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are you expecting people to fight you on?

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krael wrote:
Nargrakhan wrote:

Calm down! your rush hour example demonstrates that those visor mirrors are not actually restricted to cars reserved for one specific gender, right? The purple car is a commercial product (eddit: I mean trick or ploy), not a philosophical statement about how the world ought to be in terms of gender equality. It was produced because seat's marketing team thinks there ARE women who will like and buy this car, thus winning seat some form of market share or something. To me, this line of thinking seems hardly surprising; it seems to work with items of clothing and cheaper types of accessories just fine too.

and people that would buy a mustang over this far more efficient car are just bad people... I honestly hope that gender equality does not mean some part of the population should start to contribute MORE to the demise of the planet.

Gendered marketing is a cyclical process. It got this bad because marketers realized people will buy more if products are marketed as mens or womens. Color is part of that process. Purple and pink are the acceptable women colors. Then more people buy it, because the push to confirm that you fit in the gender binary is very strong. Then marketers push even more gendered products, and the cycle continues.

Marketers could make more money in the short run if they pandered to racial stereotypes too, but many don't. It's better for the bottomline to be future oriented, and demographics are well into the process of changing. A smarter company would save highly gendered products for older generations, and make neutral products for everyone else. Gendered bullshit is dying out, and eventually it should become a liability to continue peddling gendered products. And we can help that process along by pointing out this bullshit and complaining about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342, 343  Next
Page 341 of 343

Jump to: