Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Krael, you obviously don't know anything about sex and gender. Everything you're trying to build on top of your assumptions are destined to collapse.

Obviously I don't Razz. For instance, I had to google what you meant with the 'the gender dichotomy (male/female)', and I have not yet read enough to I understand your previous question. I just got sidetracked by the impression that people here seem to believe in some kind of mind-body dichotomy (learning words Very Happy). (Teamon: I saw your response, I think I disagree, although I might learn some new things here, let's indeed stop with the offtopicness Razz)

One of the first hits had this quote about a psychology study that seems about to sum up what you want to say. Is this a good summary?:

Quote:
What Carothers and Reis actually concluded from their data was that in categories such as sexual attitudes and behaviors (such as one-night stands, frequency of thinking about sex with someone outside of your partner), mate selectivity (wanting someone who looks as good cooking you dinner as they do naked), empathy and relational interdependence, fear of success, science inclination, and depression and intimacy tendencies, there was little evidence of sex-related preferences outside of small socio-sexuality trends. This means that knowing a persons gender has little bearing on whether they are relatively aggressive, good in math, poor in verbal skills, primarily interested in short-term mating, less agreeable, and so on, unlike, say, predicting their likely weight, height, shoulder breadth, waist-to-hip ratio and deepness of voice.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much. or, if you want to think about it in purely scientific terms: there is a huge variation on any parameter you can name in humans, enough to mean there is no significant difference between the sexes overall. i had an anthropology teacher in college who was always careful to say "males are bigger and stronger than females quartile by quartile" - always figured he was sure to include that because he was about 5 ft nothing and weighed maybe 100 pounds soaking wet, which meant most of the women in class were quite definitely bigger than he was. so there is huge overlap. and that's why it's risky to market something specifically to women (or men); the groups are way too broad, and overlap too much, for that to be useful - especially when you are specifically marketing something to appeal to women and not men (like pink cars).

and yeah, while there may be some biochemistry in how i react to a specific piece of music, i figure that deciding what concerts i go to or what albums i buy or how much my musical preference is going to determine things like what i wear and who i hang out with, is a pretty active process.
krael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just replying to confirm that I read and (I think) understood the point. It certainly seems to clash with my beliefs, so I'll need some thinking over and more reading before I ca actually say something intelligent about it Smile.
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2112696-gender-equality-is-boosted-by-better-infection-control/

Don't let the Rebublicans hear it! They'll put "spreading infections" on top of their list.

So many jokes.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Smith putting his money where his mouth is:

http://perezhilton.com/2017-10-16-kevin-smith-harvey-weinstein-money-residuals-women-in-film-charity#.WeWIlSNri2x
Quote:
Tearfully, he began:

"My entire career is tied up with the man. Everything I did in the beginning has his name on it. And I spent many years lionizing him, telling stories. Whenever I tell the Clerks story, there's, you know, and then we got bought by Miramax.

I'm not a victim in this. This is not about me at all. We know who the victims are. But my shit is tied up with this man…

I just wanted to make some fucking movies, that's it. That's why I came, that's why I made Clerks. And no fucking movie is worth all this. Like, my entire career, fuck it, take it. It's wrapped up in something really fucking horrible."

A fan shouted from the crowd, telling him it wasn't his fault.

"I know it's not my fault, but I didn't fucking help. Because I sat out there talking about this man like he was a hero, like he was my friend, like he was my father and shit like that, and he changed my fucking life. And I showed other people, 'You can dream, and you can make stuff, and this man will put it out. I was singing praises of somebody that I didn't fucking know. I didn't know the man that they keep talking about in the press. Clearly he exists, but that man never showed himself to me. It all hurts, and it didn't happen to me, but it all hurts."

That's when he explained what he was going to do about it:

"So I've been trying to think of what to do. Everyone on the Internet of course has an opinion; a lot of people when I said that I'm ashamed, I wrote a tweet saying I'm ashamed, a lot of people of course were like, 'Give all the money back.' Well, I don't have money from 20 years ago, do you?
But that being said, I work in an industry where thankfully there are dividends that come out of a movie for the rest of your life, so there's such a thing as residuals, where I still get money for those movies, for the movies I made at Miramax and for the movies I made with at Weinstein. The first thing I feel like I can do is, I don't want that anymore."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome. Did he really not know, though? It seems like everybody knew.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the women all knew (at least, the ones at a level he could harass). the people in his office seem all to have known. it seems the men, and probably higher-ranking, more powerful women, did not.

people like this can be really good at hiding what they are doing from people that might be a danger to them. it's one of the ways you know that they are lying when they try to excuse their conduct: they knew it was wrong, because they hid it from people who could punish them for it.

that's not to say that none of them had reason to be suspicious, but for people like kevin smith, there would have been a heavy cost to making a big deal of it: he wouldn't have gotten his start, and then made all those other movies. so that provides a strong incentive to dismiss any suspicions you might have: "i've never seen him do something like that. and all these women are working for him, would they be working for him if something was really happening? it must be just be someone with a grudge or something. he's so successful, he can't possibly be doing something so bad." and then you focus your attention on what you are getting to do, and there you are.

and i guess (based on limited evidence) it may be easier for men to dismiss things like this. ben affleck was apparently told by his (then) girlfriend about being harassed, and apparently completely failed to take it seriously (then again, ben affleck might not be the best example of ethical behavior in the face of unpleasant facts- see: ancestors, slave-trading.)
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catholic education much dear mouse, sins of the father and on...?

Not defending Ben Affleck here, not even caring about him, but actors aren't the best pick for behaviour choice; they're just for show. And this problem is apparent in every part of the working force everywhere in the world.

Speaking of which. China (People Rep of) customary uses this kind of scandal to point out 'Western decrepitude'. So, fewx days ago, China Daily wrote a piece about how sexual harassment in a western issue that couldn't happen here... Poor choices of words indeed. The resulting backslash was a joy to read, it raised such a cloud that both the Guardian and the Daily news reported it.

In other parts of the world, the #MeToo and #Balancetonporc (rat out your pig) are becoming viral. Pretty sure there must be some more in other languages.

Imho, blaming someone specifically is barking at the wrong tree, Silence is the foe here.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was raised methodist....

not blaming anyone specific, here, just noting that it's a lot easier to turn your eyes away than to confront someone powerful, especially when they aren't doing whatever it is to _you_. but it is certainly very common across the board, and, sadly, around the world.

(also, actors are real people too, not "just for show"; they have the same obligation as anyone else to respond to wrong-doing. affleck isn't just in the "actors" box; he reacted the way a lot of men in a lot of other fields do. we just know about him, specifically, because his ex outed him. if he were the only one to "not see" what was happening, we wouldn't have people like weinstein around - they would have been stopped, long ago, by _everyone_ calling them out.)
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some jackass that sent me unwanted dick pics years ago posted comforting words on a mutual friends facebook 'me too' post and i just want to set everything on fire.

(he told me he wanted 'to taste the rainbow' and when he asked if he could send one i said no and he did it anyway)

i'm so furious with myself for not calling him out, but i don't post on facebook for a reason.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh sorry about that Samsally. I just got done reading posts from /r/creepyPMs too. Way too many creepers out there.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly, as we keep finding out, no situation is so bad that some creep can't find a way to make it worse....sorry, Samsally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343
Page 343 of 343

Jump to: