welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 307, 308, 309  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be interesting to see how that correlates with states that think the federal government has no right to put any limitations on gun ownership.

as always - they will trample all over the mother to be sure the baby is born, after that, the kid's on its own.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how the right to privacy stacks up against the right to bear arms in a state-by-state battle. I'd also like to see a comparison of these states by things like access to maternal health care, coverage for family planning, and regulation on sex education. You know... just on the off chance that there isn't a staggering correlation between suppressing abortion and suppressing every other facet of sexual activity.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with parental involvement?

Refresh my memory.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Parental involvement" means the parent has to ok an abortion for a girl under 18. it's probably more or less unnecessary for girls with reasonably decent relationships with their parents, who would probably talk to their mothers, at least. the problem is for girls in really dysfunctional families - like the ones who get pregnant as a result of incest. or ones like a case in CA not too long ago, where the girl's father, on hearing that she was pregnant and wanted an abortion, beat her so badly that she not only required hospitalization but lost the baby.

so there are parents you definitely do _not_ want involved. parental involvement laws may or may not give the girl other options (like going to a judge to get approval to not get parental approval for the abortion) - but such options may impose considerable difficulty for a girl who is already in a difficult situation.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Thy is not fond of the loopholes in these laws. Reply with quote

I always have a frown on my face when the law specifically reflects the needs of the few and applies to the majority.

There are kids who come from perfectly functional families and would be better off with parental involvement in this decision.

There are kids that lie about abuse from their guardians in order to avoid getting in trouble with them about such a decision.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like many decisions, if the consequences are high enough even a low risk is intolerable. SO it is downright reasonably to be concerned about an abusive family preventing an abortion.
Kenshiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combine that with how now shit's gonna get REALLY crazy.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
All states but Oregon impose restrictions on abortions beyond Roe. WA is tied for second... or second to last, whichever way you want to look at it. Oklahoma, though, really wants to own your uterus.

That Graphic and ranking is misleading. I mean look at Vermont. On the other side, New Jersey has essentially three requirements: The abortion must be done by a licensed physician, it must be done in a hospital after a certain gestation period, and the facility must meet certain regulatory standards. Also, here's a more detailed breakdown: http://www.remappingdebate.org/map-data-tool/dozens-new-state-limits-abortions-added-2012

On the link I posted, If you click on a category for a state, on the right hand side (it's hard to notice) it describes what the restrictions are:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenshiro wrote:
Combine that with how now shit's gonna get REALLY crazy.

Wrong thread, I was talking about this in random stories of note

Last edited by Darqcyde on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Thy is not fond of the loopholes in these laws. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I always have a frown on my face when the law specifically reflects the needs of the few and applies to the majority.

There are kids who come from perfectly functional families and would be better off with parental involvement in this decision.

There are kids that lie about abuse from their guardians in order to avoid getting in trouble with them about such a decision.

The law should protect the minority as well. If a child is at risk of abuse, or is in a situation as a result of abuse, they deserve protection. End of story. You can't leave them in the wind just because they're a minority of cases.

Darqcyde wrote:
That Graphic and ranking is misleading. I mean look at Vermont. On the other side, New Jersey has essentially three requirements: The abortion must be done by a licensed physician, it must be done in a hospital after a certain gestation period, and the facility must meet certain regulatory standards.

Yeah, that's true for a few states, but the trend holds out generally. States with more regulations tend to have stiffer ones: ultrasound requirements, descriptions of fetal development, barring coverage by insurance companies, etc.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Actually, I found some of the states lack of regulation to be more disturbing i.e. not requiring the person performing the abortion to be a licensed physician or the institutions performing them not having specific regulatory guidelines. In general, to me, I think New Jersey's regulations to genuinely be in the mother's best interest.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually depends. Some states allow non-MD practitioners (nurse practitioners, physician assistants, etc) to prescribe the morning after pill. A few states allow them to also perform basic abortions. That's not unusual in terms of the medicine, as NPs and PAs are trained and qualified (per their speciality) to perform surgery and other invasive procedures. Some states simply restrict who can perform them to MDs/DOs, which may prevent low income women from getting them, with no corresponding difference in quality of care.

It's not like a state that doesn't have that requirement allows anyone to perform an abortion. That would still be practicing medicine without a license.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a thing about how psychological differences between genders aren't actually distinct.

Relevent to my interests because when people say "All men are assholes" and "All women are crazy" I usually want to set something on fire.

Not sure fire is the right answer.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A man could be aggressive, but verbally skilled and poor at math, for example, combining stereotypical masculine and feminine traits.

It's... it's like they understand me.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

Relevent to my interests because when people say "All men are assholes" and "All women are crazy" I usually want to set something on fire.

Whoa lady don't be crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 307, 308, 309  Next
Page 161 of 309

Jump to: