welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 318, 319, 320  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thy is not fond of the loopholes in these laws. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

There are kids who come from perfectly functional families and would be better off with parental involvement in this decision.

There are kids that lie about abuse from their guardians in order to avoid getting in trouble with them about such a decision.

as to 1) - how do you know that girls from functional families _don't_ involve their parents? girls who have good bonds with their parents are less likely to become pregnant, so they are less likely to be in a situation where they need approval. girls who have a secure relationship with their parents go to them with problems. those girls don't need a law to force them to involve their parents.

as to 2) - there are also a lot of girls who are genuinely the victims of abuse. which is worse - deliberately forcing a girl to put herself in harm's way, or letting one get away with a (possibly unnecessary) lie? i personally would rather let any number of girls make their own decisions, even if they deprive themselves of parental advice, rather than subject one to being beaten within an inch of her life.

so you are making a law that will have no effect on most girls, at the cost of subjecting some girls to considerable harm. which is why they are stupid laws.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of abortion...South Dakota Moves To Legalize Killing Abortion Providers
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus christ.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except not.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what Jesus said. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and also force them to live by your moral standards even if that's kind of hypocritical because, fuck it, you're the chosen ones. If you weren't, God wouldn't let you oppress people with your religion, right!? Because if the Bible has taught us anything, it's that he never lets his chosen people be oppressed.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another day I am glad the abortion debate was won in sweden ca 1970. And the Christian democrats know that if they would try and seriously challenge the current policy they can kiss their place in the riksdag good bye. Indeed it's already looking like they might fall out. Probably because the even worse far right Swedendemocrats are getting bigger, but they would anyway, so if the by effect is that the Christian Democrats fall beneath the threshold I am happy. Rid of them and also probably rid of the current government, unless the Greens choose to cross the aisle or, less likely, the main rightwing parties decide to get their hands dirty and invite the far right. Sorry, went off on a tangent there.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, that article is from 2011.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was also updated three times to basically invalidate the headline, which is why I said it doesn't really try to legalize assassinating abortion providers.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Wheels! STOP TRYING TO CONFUSE US WITH THE FACTS.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I didn't even notice that stuff. Thanks Wheels and Las.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It was also updated three times to basically invalidate the headline, which is why I said it doesn't really try to legalize assassinating abortion providers.

I...was obviously dragged in by an alluring headline. uh. sorry.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

I...was obviously dragged in by an alluring headline. uh. sorry.

Headlines are not usually written by the same person who wrote the piece. Never rely on headlines, they are often misleading, because they are trying to get your attention, like a carnival barker. or Mr. Gary.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hawkeye Initiative thing has been discussed.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like the Hawkeye Initiative always make a lot of sense to me, right up until I actually start reading people talk about it.

It's the kind of thing that starts out with really good intentions, but ultimately devolves into trans* phobia and sometimes straight up homophobia. I was really disappointed when the owner of the hawkeye initiative blog responded to people expressing their concerns with "We're listening, really." and hasn't appeared to address anything again since.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Things like the Hawkeye Initiative always make a lot of sense to me, right up until I actually start reading people talk about it.

It's the kind of thing that starts out with really good intentions, but ultimately devolves into trans* phobia and sometimes straight up homophobia. I was really disappointed when the owner of the hawkeye initiative blog responded to people expressing their concerns with "We're listening, really." and hasn't appeared to address anything again since.

SO I looked through a bunch of pages, lolling iall the way, but then I saw this:

And I thought her outfit was more of an issue than the actual pose, but then as I looked at it, I thought, "WTF is Flash doing? Is there an impromptu body building competition we don't know about going on just outside the panel? And Aquaman, is he summoning the power of Fabio?" I dunno, everyone just looks pretty ridiculous to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 318, 319, 320  Next
Page 162 of 320

Jump to: