welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hell did i just watch
Arkhron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I called for help, I really dont know if being offended or entertained or what XD

Be compassionate
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
the hell did i just watch

Fucking tigers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'll take not hearing any of the conversation over sexist talk eing widely accepted and encouraged any day.

I have to agree with you on this. I'm just not much of a fan of Adria specifically.

That's cool. I have no opinion on her. Even famous women I dislike and disagree very strongly with, I still disagree with the sexism they have to deal with. If someone is behaving objectionably, it should be enough to call them out on their behavior, and not in the same odious way one would call out any other female person for simply being famous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salpta wrote:
His Holiness the Dalai Lama put out a good lesson today that I think Adria could learn from:

Quote:
Whether we consider the individual, family, local, national or international level, peace must arise from inner peace. For example, making prayers for peace while continuing to harbor anger is futile. Training the mind and overcoming your anger is much more effective than mere prayer. Anger, hatred and jealousy never solve problems, only affection, concern and respect can do that.

Like Granny does.

I believe that the people making death threats could benefit equally, if not more, from this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Again! Need help with this! http://vimeo.com/62085792#

On a first instance seems homophobic. After 40 seconds seems sarcastic. Then seems a profound reflexion about society.

Then is a chain of wtf moments, and the ending made me laugh a lot.

So, I ask to the 'festers, What do you think about it?

Can't. Breathe!! Oh, gods! My aching sides!
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehehehe that was funny.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adria is doubtlessly piled under a huge wall of criticism. a good portion of it is going to be total shit and death threats. i'll wait to see what her public response is (if any) before bothering to opine on if she's still perpetuating negative habits and the commodification of targeting as a self-appointed defender of the future of women in the industry, because for right now, no matter the reasons why, she's stuck in a position where she feels the necessity to keep her head down.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harassment by a "professional" was not tolerated at PAX East.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Harassment by a "professional" was not tolerated at PAX East.

I am pleased that PAX's response, upon being made aware of this, appears to have been an immediate GTFO to the offender. No "Well did he REALLY harass you", just booting the offender.

Then again, Khoo is kind of awesome (and seems to be a genuinely good human being, given the stories Gabe and Tycho have told?), so I am not terribly surprised by this.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually not the first time I've heard that PAX does a stellar job enforcing the safety of their attendees. I don't recall if it was mentioned in the article WoC posted, but I read that they're very supportive of their enforcers, like, they don't just pick randoms off the street and give them little power. They pick actually competent and good people and give them free reign to make calls that need to be made without dinking around getting permission.

Pretty awesome all around. I hope more cons follow their lead.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at PAX and as far as I could tell it wasn't skeevy at all. I especially approve of their decision to ban booth babes. I would normally have expected women in attendance to have been as low as 10% but in many of the places I was at it could have been as high as 45%.

Maybe my anecdotal figure would have been a bit different if I had, like, hung out in the magic section at all, but on the expo studio show floor and at the promo and conference rooms it was pretty gender even for a goddamned video game nerd conference.

so whatever they're doing? IT'S WORKING.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too surprising that women would happily go to a confirmed safe space like that. I know loads of nerdy girls and the majority of them have a similar mentality as I do... some 'nerd spaces' are just avoided unless you want to deal with some serious bullshit.

Which is stupid and pisses me off, we shouldn't have to avoid some spaces but I'm just not willing to deal with this frustrating mentality that I'm some kind of goddamned unicorn (or, of course, the dreaded 'fake nerd girl') all the time, so I avoid them anyway.

You should marvel at my restraint, though. This is me pointedly not going on my fake nerd girl rant and how it's a stupid sexist concept that needs to die in a fire.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
... it could have been as high as 45%.

Which would make it approximately representative of the gender breakdown of gamers IRL. Kinda makes you wonder why almost all major 3rd party games and franchises are still developed and marketed with the 15-30yo male bracket in mind almost exclusively.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
It's not too surprising that women would happily go to a confirmed safe space like that. I know loads of nerdy girls and the majority of them have a similar mentality as I do... some 'nerd spaces' are just avoided unless you want to deal with some serious bullshit.

Which is stupid and pisses me off, we shouldn't have to avoid some spaces but I'm just not willing to deal with this frustrating mentality that I'm some kind of goddamned unicorn (or, of course, the dreaded 'fake nerd girl') all the time, so I avoid them anyway.

You should marvel at my restraint, though. This is me pointedly not going on my fake nerd girl rant and how it's a stupid sexist concept that needs to die in a fire.

[img] http://www.dorktower.com/files/2012/12/DorkTower1118a.gif [/img]

I thought you might appreciate it.

And seriously fark those folks. I fear I was *initially* leaning that way (more out of frustration that it felt like I was part of a demographic being pandered too-things like 'booth babes' and such. .. Or. Um. All of Final Fantasy X-2, which I refused to purchase on principle after seeing the fanservice that was the 'massage minigame'), but I realized that I couldn't make judgements like that, since I didn't know the people, and my wariness was just as bad.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 190 of 314

Jump to: