welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 307, 308, 309  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:

Quote:

Because my teacher went by her maiden name professionally, I never knew until that point. I don't think she ever knew I was the boy who insulted her daughter. From then on, that was always present in my mind during English class.

SHE GOT A MOM????

I think we can probably append Samsally's 'do better next time' to 'be more Snorri next time'.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool snorri, bro
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some fucked up shit right here: http://news.yahoo.com/afghan-girls-school-feared-hit-poison-gas-172831514.html

Quote:
TALUQAN, Afghanistan (Reuters) - As many as 74 schoolgirls in Afghanistan's far north fell sick after smelling gas and were being examined for possible poisoning, local officials said on Sunday.

While instances of poisoning are sometimes later found to be false alarms, there have been numerous substantiated cases of mass poisonings of schoolgirls by elements of Afghanistan's ultra-conservative society that are opposed to female education.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/nj-school-dress-code-bans-strapless-dresses-for-girls-at-dance-181244414.html
Quote:
A newly instituted ban on strapless dresses at an upcoming eighth-grade dance in Readington, New Jersey—with a promise to turn away girls who don’t obey—has some parents crying foul.

Thoughts?

Elsewhere, halfway across the country:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/father-asks-school-rethink-dress-code-son-told-180721078.html

So is this classic American 'boobs bad/guns good' sort of thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god the comments are cringe worthy. In the first: Yeah, good for the school for upholding the rules! In the second: Omg, their dress code is dumb! My high school was shit but at least not shit clothing-wise.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahahaha professional meeting type thing and I ask "what would the female version of this company's customer base be?" because he spent like ten minutes describing a dude and I get "why, dating the man!" ahahahahafuckyou. Guess I walked into that bullshit.

Also hey pro-tip when you are presenting for a company that provides support for people suffering mental illness using words like 'cray-cray' is not even a little appropriate.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Ahahahaha professional meeting type thing and I ask "what would the female version of this company's customer base be?" because he spent like ten minutes describing a dude and I get "why, dating the man!" ahahahahafuckyou. Guess I walked into that bullshit.

Ah ha! I see what they did there! Because they don't care about women customers! Who needs 'em, amirite?! They'll just want everything in pink and get period blood everywhere.

Hello, 1950's? It's 2013 calling. You can have your businessperson back.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He noticed my expression (which was open-mouthed shock even though I don't know why this shit still surprises me) and was like "what, you don't like that?" and I said "I don't like that you defined her by who she's dating." and he backpedaled pretty hard. He then described the man again only minus the impressive job titles the fictional man had been given.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me that it can be the 21st century and this guy clearly had never even imagined what a female customer might look like. "Female customers are like guy customers, but with boobs and stuff! Shit, I don't know, it's not like marketing is my jo-- fuck."
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, there is one thing i really have to say about MelancholicIdealist's post, and i know you have all moved on, but this really, really bothers me.

YOU TOE THE LINE, you do not 'tow' it. the reference is to coming up to or adhering to a standard, not hauling a barge.

honestly, people - the english language is full of colorful and meaningful images. KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Also hey pro-tip when you are presenting for a company that provides support for people suffering mental illness using words like 'cray-cray' is not even a little appropriate.

this right there tells me this guy is not exactly in tune with .... well, anyone other than himself. it's sort of amazing that he has a job at all, when apparently he sees his customer base as himself (and women who would date him).
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scary part is he was completely 100% unironic about it and a later class confirmed he said it to them, too, which means it's probably a part of his official spiel.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I don't know if this is the right place to talk about it, but I've posted a thread in the casual chat about a gilrscout camp I volunteer at, if anyone's also interested in potentially volunteering or just hearing about it, or have ideas or whatever. I figured this might be somewhat related/tangential to the topic of feminism, since I think perhaps one thing that can really help is, well, role models, and also showing young women that you can be strong/interested in *whatever you want*. Whether society would consider it 'girly' or 'manly', doesn't matter.

(You want to learn sewing? We got that. Acting/Improv? Yep! Wildlife stuff? Sure! You want archery? WE HAVE THAT TOO. Math? Yep! Swordfighting? Yep! But with foam swords. Sciency things? Sort of!-.. Mostly because it's HARD to come up with a good chem experiment that A) Interesting for 1 hour, B) Safe if one of the 8 year olds decides it would be a good idea to drink it, and C) Can serve 100 girls on less than $70, but hey! We try.))
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl scouts are such a great institution and that makes me happy.

The boy scouts? Well, I was a scout but the BSA won't stop licking fundie and mormon taint and I no longer support them as an institution and that makes me sad.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other "scout" organizations that formed once it was clear how out of step the BSA became. Some dropped all the religious elements and focus solely on skills and camaraderie, and as a result they're much more inclusive. See: Adventure Scouts USA.
Others went the opposite direction and became even more fundamentalist and exclusive because the BSA just wasn't fundie enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 307, 308, 309  Next
Page 203 of 309

Jump to: