Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239 ... 268, 269, 270  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Cards Against Humanity has a card labeled "Surprise Sex", this seems a weeeeeeeeee bit hypocritical.

(I think it also has a 'Date rape' card?)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather they say something than nothing at all. What would be preferable to you? They just keep their heads down and avoid causing a fuss?

Cards Against Humanity is a huge game and its not like it's the only game that Maxistentialism makes. A couple problematic cards mixed in is not even close to equivalent to all this PAX fiasco.

I'm not saying they aren't above criticism, because if there is a date rape card that does make me feel kind of nauseous, but to imply that they get absolutely NO SAY AT ALL because of it is pretty fucking ridiculous.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I'd rather they say something than nothing at all. What would be preferable to you? They just keep their heads down and avoid causing a fuss?

Cards Against Humanity is a huge game and its not like it's the only game that Maxistentialism makes. A couple problematic cards mixed in is not even close to equivalent to all this PAX fiasco.

I'm not saying they aren't above criticism, because if there is a date rape card that does make me feel kind of nauseous, but to imply that they get absolutely NO SAY AT ALL because of it is pretty fucking ridiculous.

At what point did I say they got no say? I was pointing out it was hypocritical, and I admit the fact those cards exist in the deck (and have existed for *several printings* make it a tetch hard for me to take his objections at face value, since his game *IS*, arguably, using rape as humor (since... that is sort of the whole point of cards against humanity: It's apples to apples with terrible things.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used the word 'imply' for a reason. So what would you prefer they do instead, then?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yes, I used the word 'imply' for a reason. So what would you prefer they do instead, then?

I don't know, honestly. I'm trying to see if he's *addressed* the fact that this game also makes rape jokes (Which is kind of what started this whole fiasco, right or wrong), but I can't seem to dig anything up. Perhaps he should have mentioned it in his blog post, or at least acknowledged that his game has elements of it. I don't know.

On that note, then, are you implying that I *shouldn't* have pointed out that he makes, and markets a game (and indeed, in his blog post, had pictures *OF HIM MARKETING THE GAME*) that could be argued to make light of rape?
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
At what point did I say they got no say? I was pointing out it was hypocritical, and I admit the fact those cards exist in the deck (and have existed for *several printings* make it a tetch hard for me to take his objections at face value, since his game *IS*, arguably, using rape as humor (since... that is sort of the whole point of cards against humanity: It's apples to apples with terrible things.

Not really. They defended the original PA strip, because in that context the joke was that horrible things happened in the game world that the player character has no incentive to stop from happening.
In their own game they use "rape humor" in a similar context to make you feel like a horrible person for using the cards. It's supposed to make you feel bad when you play it, just as the comic strip was supposed to call out the unsettling aspects of the video game's design.

What they apparently DON'T condone is the way Mike reacted and continues to react, by turning what used to be a joke about game design into a weapon to use against the people who have an issue with it. Especially since PA now wields considerable power and influence in certain social circles, and this is essentially using that power to abuse people who don't have a comparable level of it.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

Not really. They defended the original PA strip,

I didn't see that anywhere in that post.

Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards against Humanity has problematic cards, but I am glad of this message of theirs. It might seem a bit hypocritical but sometimes you need to highlight their good and criticize their bad and maybe they'll even consider getting rid of it. Only focusing on their bad triggers a overdefensive reaction.

Last edited by Yinello on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:

in the post that was just complaining about the PA guy saying something stupid and spiteful (yet again) at a convention and discussing the implications? why would such a post bother saying anything about the original comic past what might be needed for context?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

Not really. They defended the original PA strip,

Could have sworn it was there when I read it yesterday. Maybe I was just getting that impression from the collected quotes he included. It doesn't really change my point, I don't think. Maxistentialism is reacting to Mike's reaction, not the original strip. It would have been hypocritical if they had posted this because of the rape joke in the comic instead of the terrible direction PA's taken in reaction to the backlash.
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote they used from MC Frontalot supported the original joke, which might explain the impression that you got that the author was in support of the original joke. I got the same impression on initial reading.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/lady-superhero-costumes-redesigned-by-ladies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the 'long hair is a liability in a fistfight' argument, but Zatanna can't have long hair? And would pulling She-Hulk's hair really do anything but piss her off?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Quote:
Fishnets on a melee fighter? Come on, guys. A woman who prefers hand-to-hand combat over utilizing her superpower needs something more substantial. Unless, is that Kevlar fishnet? No? OK then, here are some pants.

Because regular ol' pants are going to stop a knife so much better? Didn't stop whatever put that tear in them.
*edit to add* Not to say that the fishnets are necessary over pants. But if you're going to give her some, give her some leathers or reinforced motorcycle gear. You know, because she rides her motorcycle to get around.

Quote:
Have you ever been in the upper atmosphere? Despite being closer to the sun, itís fucking cold and not a place to work on tanning your abs.

She's an alien whose people all have wings. I assumed her physiology can handle it the same way Aquaman can survive sub-zero temperatures at the bottom of the ocean.

Quote:
And while weíre at it, NO CAPES. Unless itís part of the heroís fighting style ó like Batman ó itís just a liability.

Power Girl is a flying brick on par with Superman. What the fuck is a cape going to do to get her into trouble? Why can't a woman who's nigh invulnerable and strong enough to smash moons wear a visually striking cape when she's saving people's lives?

Quote:
As an Asgardian warrior who knows her shit ... take away the unnecessary cape, and weíre a little closer to Valkyrie looking like the stone-cold killer she is.

Same question. Especially since capes are part of historical clothing worn by actual warriors in ancient times, including the Romans and real Vikings (you know, aside from the warriors who fought naked).
As for the pants, the one-piece may not have been authentic but neither are those. A tunic or even a robe are what legendary Valkyries are usually depicted as wearing. This particular character is mostly based on Brynhildr, who has been depicted as wearing robes or even riding into battle naked.

Quote:
As a magic user, Scarlet Witch can have more fun with her costume, and trust me, skintight pink bodysuits that donít breathe under a onesie tube top is the literal opposite of fun.

What's with the assumption that Scarlet Witch's costume "doesn't breathe?" I always figured it was like a leotard. You know, the kind athletes and gymnasts wear all the time. And let's revisit the idea of those skirty things again in light of all that stuff you said about capes, especially since Scarlet Witch ISN'T a flying brick.

I never liked Psylocke's costume, but mostly because it was so at odds with all the other X-team members'. It just never fit in with all the blues and yellows.

Quote:
So close, and yet, so far. If at any point in life you can make out a womanís abs and belly button through her clothes, call help immediately because sheís in imminent danger of passing out.

She's the fucking SHE HULK. I think she can deal with elastic fabric hugging her.

This whole thing was poorly thought out.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

It would appear they redesigned the costumes under the idea that these would be totally average people, rather than superheroes with the ability to perform magic and fly.

Making non-sexist costumes doesn't mean putting every character in what appear to be skintight leotards with tall boots. And why does Valkyrie look like she's been out in the rain too long with cheap eyeliner? Hawk Girl would have looked okay, but they kind of ruined her mask. And no capes is stupid.

Seriously, they managed to take sexist costumes, keep them relatively sexist and make them bland at the same time. These are actually making me wish for pouches, because then they'd have something that's actually functional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 238 of 270

Jump to: