welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 289, 290, 291  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Sexist Video Game Problems Even Bigger Than the Breasts
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/lady-superhero-costumes-redesigned-by-ladies

It would appear they redesigned the costumes under the idea that these would be totally average people, rather than superheroes with the ability to perform magic and fly.

Making non-sexist costumes doesn't mean putting every character in what appear to be skintight leotards with tall boots. And why does Valkyrie look like she's been out in the rain too long with cheap eyeliner? Hawk Girl would have looked okay, but they kind of ruined her mask. And no capes is stupid.

Seriously, they managed to take sexist costumes, keep them relatively sexist and make them bland at the same time. These are actually making me wish for pouches, because then they'd have something that's actually functional.

I don't know about aliens - who knows what they wear? - but if I developed super powers you know what I would wear? Something comfortable. Like cargo pants and a t-shirt. Maybe a stretchy top just in case someone grabbed hold of it.

I don't know why anyone would want to run around in skintight clothes to begin with. Just sounds uncomfortable.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Super backpack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a backpack that's been bitten by a radioactive spider?
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
6 Sexist Video Game Problems Even Bigger Than the Breasts

Never read the comments
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted it before, but will post again: Here are other (perhaps better?) superhero designs.

http://www.geeknative.com/38733/drawing-the-impossible-fully-dressed-superheroines/

Bonus: Black canary does actually appear to be wearing what one would call 'biker armor'-type pants.

I really, *really* like the aesthetics of supergirl's outfit, and I don't know why. I think it's just because the long shirt makes it look slightly like a tunic. The flared boots seem a bit off.

But yes, if I had super powers, I'd either want street clothes, or an outfit like hers, because it just kinda looks cool.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
JazmynGrey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all set to be upset with the negative comments about the redesigned costumes... but dang those were ugly... Many of the points were well taken - the need for more coverage etc... the no capes thing, even invulnerability has its limits so I can see going for no capes. In the second article I don't get the whole skirt-ish thing over the pants for many of the characters. All in all the only character that it doesn't make sense to change is Starfire because from what I understand at least in the new 52 Universe who whole reason for existing is Ho-ishness. (I'm not a big DC reader - when I did read I was a Marvel girl so the only Starfire version I'm familiar with is the Teen Titans cartoon version.... She was fully dressed and adorable if I recall correctly)
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a superhero (or just buff and cool) I would dress like Black Canary in Felgraf's link.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to reiterate what I posed on the subject before. Tights and the like make sense for a number of reasons. For the people who don't have powers and rely on agility, the freedom of movement and lack of baggy flappy things to catch on other things is an advantage. For the people who DO have powers, invulnerability and super strength obviate the need for pretty much any considerations of convenience clothing-wise. If you can fly and crush streetcars with your bare hands, going around in heels becomes a viable option. In that case you get to play around with things that look good, like capes.

Some of those designs in Felgraf's link I don't buy for the reasons that a brawler like Black Canary wouldn't wear loose, baggy stuff that impedes her movement or gets snagged on stuff. Frankly I think the khakies just look ridiculously out of place on Wonder Woman, with all that RWB and gold armor.
Most of them do look pretty great, though. Better than the previous link, and without the crappy rationalizations.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampirella looks like she's should be holding the reigns to a horse and calling for her trusty foxhounds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say loose clothing impedes movement before. Someone should tell these monks that they're doing it wrong.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
If you can fly and crush streetcars with your bare hands, going around in heels becomes a viable option.

So does super strength assume super balance? I mean, whoever wins Mister Universe is strong, but is he necessarily able to walk in high heels? Can Power Girl even twist an ankle?

Quote:
In that case you get to play around with things that look good, like capes.

I, and I imagine most real people, would look ridiculous in a spandex and a cape. Only fictitious people who are always showing their good side look good in superhero costumes. Real people have love handles, and flabby butts, and fiddle faddle, and whatever else that they'd rather not show off. There's nothing stopping anyone from walking around in spandex except their own good conscience. The reason they don't - even the ones with really nice bodies - is because no one looks good in them in real life. You look like you just got out of jazzercise.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a superhero, I think I'd wear combat fatigues.

Comfy, not too tight, relatively robust and actually useful in that they have pockets and stuff for storing things. Not to mention the ass-whooping capabilities of combat boots.

Of course, people rarely look sexy in combat gear, which I imagine is why I've yet to see a mainstream superhero that wears any. Closest I could think of would be the Comedian from Watchmen.

Come to think of it, Watchmen had both costumes that were pretty and costumes that were utilitarian.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a superhero I'd dress exactly the same as how I dress now.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say loose clothing impedes movement before. Someone should tell these monks that they're doing it wrong.

I wouldn't fight in that in the real world unless I did have superpowers. You can move freely... until it gets caught on something or grabbed by an opponent. There's a reason Olympic wrestling, MMA, and most other serious fightsport garments are close-fitting and minimally-flappy.
Asian martial arts apparel for practice, public displays, and tournament tend to be an exception out of tradition and the considerations of staged sparring rather than practicality in an actual brawl.
In fact, some forms of traditional Asian martial arts themselves are basically good for show only instead of actual ass-kicking. Karate and many forms of Wushu are especially guilty of this. That's why MMA is primarily done through boxing, wrestling, Jujutsu, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Muay Thai anymore. Those styles work, and only the Jujutsu-derived ones use loose uniforms.
Sure, it looks impressive when those Shaolin monks do their thing in carefully choreographed demonstrations. But odds are Tito Ortiz could dominate any one of them. In a real fight, thing go to the ground faster than you'd think, and tend to stay there until somebody doesn't want to fight anymore; that's where westling and BJJ give you a solid advantage over the flashing acrobatics of that showy Wushu and its foppish trappings. The emphasis is on grappling over strikes for most of a fight.

Quote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
If you can fly and crush streetcars with your bare hands, going around in heels becomes a viable option.

So does super strength assume super balance?

I think being able to fly obviates a lot of the need.

Quote:
Can Power Girl even twist an ankle?

How, tripping? I think the sidewalk would give before her joints do. And of course she's not exerting her own super-strength against her ankles, since she can leap tall buildings in a single bound she must not be trying very hard to walk or run normally.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
If I were a superhero, I think I'd wear combat fatigues.

Comfy, not too tight, relatively robust and actually useful in that they have pockets and stuff for storing things. Not to mention the ass-whooping capabilities of combat boots.

From a purely practical standpoint, you could do a lot worse than fatigues. They're not without shortcomings, like how well they fit you instead of how well they fit every other infantryman/woman.

But then you have to consider the psychological impact of beating down the badguys while looking like somebody the Pentagon dropped off to enforce martial law. Or maybe you went with a subdued black theme and now you look like somebody from the CIA. Are you Uncle Sam's enforcer, here to stomp all over the little guy? This can easily get into the same kind of territory where the Penny Arcade behemoth is seen as bullying weaker individuals by putting them down, except worse because you look like you represent the single most powerful government in the world and belong to some kind of task force that brings this awesome national power down onto targeted, individual citizens. Even if they are crooks, how long before that kind of thing starts to foster anti-government sentiments and sympathies?
And if you're not on Uncle Sam's payroll, who appointed YOU to be the neighborhood commando? Are you just some wannabe who couldn't cut it in the armed forces proper? Maybe you're one of those crazy militiamen with all your paramilitary gear!

Contrary to what Dogen added to his post, I think it's possible for people to look not-ridiculous in Spandex. Olympic athletes usually pull it off, for example. I'm not saying most people even could reach that kind of ideal. But it's not something that could be dismissed with a wave of the hand, especially for a role the public is already primed to identify with unitards and bright colors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 289, 290, 291  Next
Page 239 of 291

Jump to: